Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10 Countries to Scuba Dive in?

• 05-04-2011 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi there, just wondering what are the best dive sites in the world? Top ten perhaps?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

The reply to this query can only be opinion-based, and will be drawn from the contributor's own experience of certain divesites, or, one's (s)he has learned of from different media.

There cannot be a definitive listing of "Best Dive Sites" because, in order to form same, the lister would have had to have extensive diving experience of every divesite this planet has to offer.

That won't happen.

There are many books aimed at answering your query, but each has a personal bias and is not comprehensive enough to define what the ultimate ten would be.

Again, if ever a comprehensive list were reached, you could guarantee that 40% of the sites listed would not appeal to the reader because of personal preferences - wreck/scenic/night/drift/reef/ice/photo/current etc.

Like all site lists, nice to look at but- IMO - of no real value.

Sorry to rain on the parade. Better to ask the best ten in Atlantic/Pacific/South Africa/Ireland etc. A more local setting.

Seadeuce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

You might get a top ten countries or places to dive, but not sites.

I work with a guy who uses a rebreather so he can squeeze through tight gaps in wrecks, he loves it and can't stand looking at fishes. Personally I would rather get up close and personal with a nurse shark than do what he does.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Anyone for the Top 10 Soccer Players instead:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Squirm

This would be a good thread if people gave their personal Top 10's. I assume that's what you're asking for, as opposed to a universally recognised Top 10 List?

I couldn't give you a top 10 I don't think but I could name a few of my favourites. I'd have to dig out my log book to give site names though, and it's in the same room as my sleeping infant... so I ain't doing it!

Indonesia had some amazing diving. I did a great dive off the west coast of Flores, near Komodo Island where we really just lay in wait at a feeding station until a shoal of manta rays came along. 8 in total- 7 adults and a baby. Incredible.

Borneo had a plethora of amazing sites. Lots of sharks. I only dove there in the South (Sipidan, Mabul and Kapalai) but it was superb, although with a mighty current in a couple of spots. Really good muck diving, which i really enjoy.

My third (in a fairly vague and all encompassing!!) Top 3 would be the Philippines. I didn't dive in the top spots there, I dove around Bohol, Cebu and Siquijor. But there was some great marine life to be seen (Hammerheads!) and the people were fantastic.

Advertisement