Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB OR AIRTRICITY

Options
  • 05-04-2011 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Who is the cheapest at the moment, from what i can make out looking at the price plans based on electricity and gas direct deb and online billing esb go with 14.60 per unit vat inc + stand charge of 28.60 + gas 4.4 stand chrg 18.6 = 66.2
    Airtricity gas 22.39+ elec41.88 + unit 3.58= 58.23
    Based on urban 24hr Airtricity seem to be cheaper

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭pureirish

pod2011 wrote: »
    Who is the cheapest at the moment, from what i can make out looking at the price plans based on electricity and gas direct deb and online billing esb go with 14.60 per unit vat inc + stand charge of 28.60 + gas 4.4 stand chrg 18.6 = 66.2

So I've also been looking at this but can't make sense of it all. Currently with Airtricity for both Gas and Electricity. Also the prices on my bills differ to the ones quoted on their website!

In short I think if you have both and pay by DD and get online billing ESB are cheaper for electricity and Airtricity are cheaper for gas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Do Airtricity allow you you to pay part of the bills each week in the post office??

Ive had Airtricty knocking on my door for the last 3 days(currenty canvasing in my area) each time its a different door sales rep.

Im not a fan of these DD types of payments.:(

I prefer to pay a few euros each week in the post office,and that way has worked for me for years.This way you get used to paying a set amount each week and you build up credit too.

My utility bills are all in credit by hundreads of euro by doing this method.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭pureirish

I'm no rep for Airtricity but they do allow you to make payments online and I think in the post office. You might need to set up a DD initially though but if you are in credit to the value of the bill no DD will go through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

pureirish wrote: »
    I'm no rep for Airtricity but they do allow you to make payments online and I think in the post office. You might need to set up a DD initially though but if you are in credit to the value of the bill no DD will go through.

NO DD for me,if they do want my custom/business,then they can let me pay a bit each week via the post office and not online or via a DD.

All my utility bills are each in credit by hundreads of euro each month by doing it this way each week,so I aint changing to a DD plan.

Otherwize Airtricity can get the fcuk off my doorstep and stop calling to my house each day annoying me.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

If you don't want to sign up with DD tis like Airtricity don't want to know ya

I can understand its a bit easier for them if people pay that way but I dont understand that it would save them so much its worth giving you another 8% discount for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

paddy147 wrote: »
    All my utility bills are each in credit by hundreads of euro each month

While its nice to be in credit I wouldn't want the utility companies having hundreds of my euros sitting in their accounts I'd much rather them sitting in mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Neeni

I spoke with ESB Electric Ireland today and they have a tariff especially for loyal customers that stuck with them during their regulated stint. Direct debit isn't mandatory (but I think u do get an extra discount if u pay by direct debit). Makes sense as direct debit is prob d most cost effective method for them so it's fair enough that the savings should b passed on. Nice touch that they are rewarding loyalty.
    Gas discount isn't great so Im still with flog as at the moment - think u get an extra discount of ur electricity if u switch both to esb- I just advent figured if it is equal to flo gas's current savings for gas only yet.
    Have to say d service from esb is spot on and as much as they are hated, they are fair enough if u r stuck paying a bill every now and again! Tis nice to see the regulator finally cutting d cord and giving them a chance to fight back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Griffinman

Cheapest out ther for non DD payment is Bord Gais. They will give you a 10% discount versus ESB's 8% for the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 toofiddie

we joined Airtricity in 2009, at the time they offered us a standard charge monthly based on 13% less than our previous Esb bills combined. Of course we jumped at this and signed up. The charge monthly would be 60 euros.. brilliant.. then we recieved a letter in 2010 stating we were using more than amount we were being billed for and it was upped to 70euros, still okay, there or there abouts with the Esb bi monthly charge.. Now today I have recieved another letter informing me my direct debit amout will be changing.. now 82 euros a month from May onwards!! Explaination on letter states "we noticed during our recent review of your account that your consumption and/or energy prices has changed. we are adjusting your monthly payment amounts to take into account this change" Am trying to ring airtricity at the moment I have been on hold 19 minutes..! in 18 months airtricity have risen my bill by 22 euros a month. We are not using more electricity, if anything have cut down our daughter no longer needs a bottle sterliser or heater.... lol
    just looked at the Esb website they're offering 14% discount for direct debit and online billing.. def would be cheaper than 82 euros a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

toofiddie wrote: »
    we joined Airtricity in 2009, at the time they offered us a standard charge monthly based on 13% less than our previous Esb bills combined. Of course we jumped at this and signed up. The charge monthly would be 60 euros.. brilliant.. then we recieved a letter in 2010 stating we were using more than amount we were being billed for and it was upped to 70euros, still okay, there or there abouts with the Esb bi monthly charge.. Now today I have recieved another letter informing me my direct debit amout will be changing.. now 82 euros a month from May onwards!! Explaination on letter states "we noticed during our recent review of your account that your consumption and/or energy prices has changed. we are adjusting your monthly payment amounts to take into account this change" Am trying to ring airtricity at the moment I have been on hold 19 minutes..! in 18 months airtricity have risen my bill by 22 euros a month. We are not using more electricity, if anything have cut down our daughter no longer needs a bottle sterliser or heater.... lol
    just looked at the Esb website they're offering 14% discount for direct debit and online billing.. def would be cheaper than 82 euros a month

Are you sure you're not using more? You can check by comparing the amount of units you used when with the ESB vs Airtricity over a period of say a year. You'll get the details off your bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Griffinman

Your discount of 13% from Airtricity was introductory and only lasted 12 months. You wioll now be paying more per unit and standing charge. The way to play deregulation game is to take all the discounts from all the suppliers. You have had the best of Airtricity, now switch and take the best from either ESB or Bord Gais.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Airtricity never ever in my life !!!

previous bill (electricity and gas - two months period) standing charge 34 euro.. last bill (when we closed the account) standing charge is 36 euro. Total amount is 167euro so the standing charge makes almost a quarter of the whole amount. I just wonder how this is legal for f%*k sake like. Be very careful and when they knock on your door don't even talk to them.. slam the door in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Airtricity never ever in my life !!!

previous bill (electricity and gas - two months period) standing charge 34 euro.. last bill (when we closed the account) standing charge is 36 euro. Total amount is 167euro so the standing charge makes almost a quarter of the whole amount. I just wonder how this is legal for f%*k sake like. Be very careful and when they knock on your door don't even talk to them.. slam the door in front of them.

Please don't do this. A lot of these sales reps are doing a commission only, door-to-door job which is difficult enough already.

A polite firm NO thank you will suffice :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

pod2011 wrote: »

"You want the truth???
    You can't handle the truth!!"

Check this out:
    Bonkers.ie

Comparison website bonkers.ie is the only one so far approved by the Commission for Energy Regulation as offering a fair comparison of total costs of different energy suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Please don't do this. A lot of these sales reps are doing a commission only, door-to-door job which is difficult enough already.

A polite firm NO thank you will suffice :)

They work for scumbags so I don't think they deserve to be treated nicely.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Diabhalta wrote: »

Well I do.
    Many of us have worked for people that might be regarded as "scumbags".
    In fact some of us still do.

I have respect for anyone that gets up off their ass and tries to make a living during these difficult times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

That doesn't make them scumbags. Im an electrician and I've worked for some scumbags before, guys who demand 10-15 hours overtime, then pay you for a flat week and tell you to whistle for the rest.

It's not asking much to have a bit of respect for a man in his job.

Advertisement