Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onions!

Options
  • 05-04-2011 2:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

I planted my onion and garlic sets on the 10th of October last year.

I have no idea when they will be ready. I pulled one of the garlic ones today and there was no bulb at all just a nub and roots. I grew potatoes in that spot before planting them. I have added homemade compost a few weeks back.

I will pull one of the onions later on. Is there anything else I should do?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

All you can do is wait.. onions will not be ready until July / August. They are ready when the stalks fall over like this
    onions.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my garlic - which went in after the cold weather - is quite a bit behind. at best, a couple of inches of foliage showing above the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I pulled out one of my garlic and one of my onions (planted in Oct) yesterday to see how they were doing, the ends were soft and squishy, have I messed up?? The stems are still growing strong?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I had no idea it takes so long to grow them, they better taste nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Clare man

My garlic planted around same time some in Tunnel and some outside. The outside crop is now about 12" high, I expect to be able to harvest around end of June. The crop in Tunnel is twice the size and expect to harvest in Late May. Keep free of weeds is key at this stage for garlic, onions etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I have one or two where the stems are getting droopy.

I added some more compost to them today.

Advertisement