Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo Garda - 'Give me your name and address or I'll rape you'

Options
  • 05-04-2011 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭

13.30 is the bit that made the news today

http://vimeo.com/21952231

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Brief Silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

is this supposed to be shocking? From what I heard on the radio this morning it was as if the woman was locked in to a room and threatened with rape unless she gave over her details.

This is a couple of lads in private having a joke .... goes on in every workplace.

But I am sure the woman will be looking for compensation for 'distress', 'harrassment' and everything else under the sun.

The reality is she failed to give details as required. She is in another country and failing to comply with the law of the land. She should be kicked out as soon as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

whippet wrote: »
    is this supposed to be shocking? From what I heard on the radio this morning it was as if the woman was locked in to a room and threatened with rape unless she gave over her details.

This is a couple of lads in private having a joke .... goes on in every workplace.

But I am sure the woman will be looking for compensation for 'distress', 'harrassment' and everything else under the sun.

The reality is she failed to give details as required. She is in another country and failing to comply with the law of the land. She should be kicked out as soon as possible

what? do you actually know the full details of who she Is?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    what? do you actually know the full details of who she Is?

from what I heard she is a non-national who is here for the sole purpose of protesting.

from what I heard she is a non-national who is here for the sole purpose of protesting.
    where did you hear this? or maybe you just made it up?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

where did you hear this? or maybe you just made it up?

no i didn't make it up. The journalist from the Mayo News who was approached by the protest group (along with the Irish Times journalist) said this morning on Newstalk that the person in question was a non-national who was here as part of a solidarity group against the Shell site.

Judging by the comments made by the Guards in question she is from America. I don't think I need to explain how the Police Force in the US would deal with a non-national who refuses to give their details when requested

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Judging by the comments made by the Guards in question she is from America. I don't think I need to explain how the Police Force in the US would deal with a non-national who refuses to give their details when requested

Yeah that makes it all ok then, and if she was a Saudi national it would have been ok to stone her.

Wreck wrote: »
    Yeah that makes it all ok then, and if she was a Saudi national it would have been ok to stone her.

what are you on about?

She was arrested for a public order offence. Nothing more nothing less.

She isn't making any accusation of anything improper about the arrest or how she was treated while under arrest.

What was caught on camera was a discussion between the arresting officers in private, it was never meant to be heard by her or anyone else.

It sounds unprofessional, but never was the prisioner's rights in question here.

I detest sensationalist nonsence like this.

what are you on about?

She was arrested for a public order offence. Nothing more nothing less.

She isn't making any accusation of anything improper about the arrest or how she was treated while under arrest.

What was caught on camera was a discussion between the arresting officers in private, it was never meant to be heard by her or anyone else.

It sounds unprofessional, but never was the prisioner's rights in question here.

I detest sensationalist nonsence like this.

it was heard though and its not just unprofessional its joking about violence

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

it was heard though and its not just unprofessional its joking about violence

And how is a person who has suffered rape meant to feel?
    Supposing their local Garda station is the one in question....how would that person feel? walking in there knowing that some Gardai think it's funny talking about raping women.

But have no fear, there will be nothing done against these 'Guardians of the Peace', technicalities will be found, the Garda Union will object, evidence deemed in-admissable etc etc etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

How is threatening a vulnerable woman with rape a joke? I would hate to think that this is commonplace in workplaces. For any woman who has been in such horrendous circumstances to hear two men, let alone Garda talking in such a manner, would be simply awful and particularly scary.

I myself would hate to have overheard something like that, and as a victim of assault, when I was younger, I'm really glad that it came to light, as I would hate to think that this kind of behaviour is tolerated.

in every walk of life people joke about insensitive things, in every job people give out about customers, workmates, family etc .. say things they don't mean, bravado .. what ever you call it.

Unfortunatly this was caught on tape, it does sound unprofessional, and it isn't right or proper, but I don't think it deserves the media hype and condemnation that it has attracted.

Sure even on facebook the word Fraped is close to inclusion in the oxford dictionary, I hear the term 'first touch of a rapist' most evening as football training etc ... it is part and parcel of life but it should be in a public domain, and the fact that the video camera was left on in the garda car is the only reason why we even know about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

merlie wrote: »
    How is threatening a vulnerable woman with rape a joke?

How is that relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

If employees have been sacked from jobs in banks, offices etc.
    around the country for sending offensive material then why shouldn't the police here face serious disciplinary procedures?

They sould like immature young lads making stupid remarks
    but you can't be joking about rape, especially when been recorded and a gaurd.

Shell to sea were handed a brilliant piece of propoganda to beat the gaurds with.

How is threatening a vulnerable woman with rape a joke? .

she wasn't threatened with rape.

she wasn't privey to this conversation.

she was never intended to hear the conversation

So, from another angle, your a talking to your brother about another sibling when they are not around and you say 'He took my new jacket out with him tonight .. i'll F-in' kill him when he comes home' .. are you actually threatening you murder your brother?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

How is that relevant?

I was quoting what Whippet had said. To a woman it may well sound threatening. It depends on the tone in which it was spoken. But really one can't have Garda say such things as they are meant to be people we can go to in our most vulnerable times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0405/breaking12.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Sounds to me like one garda is trying to be funny and impress his mate with an immature joke,

Idiots

I was quoting what Whippet had said. To a woman it may well sound threatening. It depends on the tone in which it was spoken. But really one can't have Garda say such things as they are meant to be people we can go to in our most vulnerable times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0405/breaking12.html

nothing about rape was said to the woman in question what so ever.

Sounds to me like one garda is trying to be funny and impress his mate with an immature joke,

Idiots

that is exactly what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Every male dominated work place I have ever worked there were sick jokes made about rape, murder, racism, anti-Semitism, anti-disability and all sorts of bigotry. They are pretty much part and parcel of male bonding. Storm in a teacup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

in every walk of life people joke about insensitive things, in every job people give out about customers, workmates, family etc .. say things they don't mean, bravado .. what ever you call it.

Unfortunatly this was caught on tape, it does sound unprofessional, and it isn't right or proper, but I don't think it deserves the media hype and condemnation that it has attracted.

Sure even on facebook the word Fraped is close to inclusion in the oxford dictionary, I hear the term 'first touch of a rapist' most evening as football training etc ... it is part and parcel of life but it should be in a public domain, and the fact that the video camera was left on in the garda car is the only reason why we even know about this.

Saying "i'll rape ya" while in a position of authority such as that of an on duty garda was wrong and misplaced humour. Of course people have a bit of banter at work and the facebook reference would have being ok. But these are people that would be expected to deal with rape victims and tarnishes the image of An Garda Siochana in the good work that they do. Another poster had suggested they get fired as it has happened to others. IMHO a good bollocking off from the super and a writtin warning to go on their record would suffice.

But these are people that would be expected to deal with rape victims and tarnishes the image of An Garda Siochana in the good work that they do. .

it does tarnish their image and does not help their cause dealing with the protester at the Shell site. But this woman who was causing an obstrucion is not a vicitim here whatsoever.

The incident where Eddie Brennan in Tallaght garda station threatend a suspect on tape with being sexually assaulted in Mountjoy is a case worthy of this level of outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

This is pretty offensive, and its not good to think that Gardai are making these kind of jokes about anyone, but it shouldn't really be such a big deal... There is a context here though - the well publicised abuses of power committed by the guards in their policing of the Corrib protests - and this recording certainly illustrates the contempt that the guards have for the protestors, and gives some inkling of the attitudes that have led to the mistreatment of protesters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

what are you on about?

Apologies if I misread your post, but you seemed to be intimating that because she is an American national there is a legitimate comparasion so be made to way those arrested in the US are treated to how they are treated here. Outside of that, this is not sensationalism, it's truly disgusting that the Gardai would speak like this on duty, if I were to do so in my workplace I would be at the very least severely reprimanded, and I'm not under any onus to protect and serve the community. It's also very worrying that some people view comments like this as no more than typical banter between males. Summed up well in the thread in AH by Solair.

Solair wrote: »
    When you're wearing a Garda uniform, or when you're a teacher, a medical practitioner, a nurse or anyone who is in a position of power, you do not talk like that in any situation.

Even if they were just 'two lads talking sh*ite", it would still be pretty shocking. The fact that they were two gardai on duty means that it's completely unacceptable behaviour.

The other issue is that vulnerable people who have been victims of sexual assault have to rely on the Gardaí to be their first point of contact in a crisis and to deal with often very personal information and accounts of terrible situations. They also have to rely on them to bring prosecutions against their attackers and also to provide protection to victims.

What kind of twisted message does this "lads talking sh*ite" send out about the Gardaí. Do they find rape to be an amusing topic or something?!

Quite honestly, I think this should be dealt with directly by the Minister for Justice. It's that serious!

Also, this is the modern world, recording devices are tiny and should be assumed to be everywhere. You behave appropriately when you're on duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm lost for words on the high horsedness of some people in here.

It was a joke said in private, get over yourselves ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Velvety

It was a joke made in private. No-one was threatened with anything.

I would bet my life that neither Guard would ever make light of an actual case of rape. The reason the joke is funny, is because rape as a punishment for protesting is such an outlandish thing to say.

He is obviously aware it's outlandish. That's why it's funny. That's why it's clearly a joke.

If he had said that she would be executed for protesting, no-one would assume it was anything other than a joke. I'm really saddened at the spin and fuss that's going to be made over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Invitation to the posters here who think this incident is blown out of proportion and that the Garda officers in question were just engaging in a bit of harmless inconsequential banter.

Off the top of my head I don't know any Mods, in AH or elsewhere on Boards, that are definitely female. But if you do, try making rape-related comments of a similar nature about them. Let's see then whether you avoid being banned for long.

My guess: such tasteless and abusive carry-on might well get you permanently banned from Boards.

Now consider this 'real-life' situation which concerns the clearly unprofessional behaviour of Garda officers. It reveals a lot about their attitudes to their work and to their dealings with the public. I hope they pay an appropriate price for their lack of discipline and professionalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭jetpack101

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Invitation to the posters here who think this incident is blown out of proportion and that the Garda officers in question were just engaging in a bit of harmless inconsequential banter.

Off the top of my head I don't know any Mods, in AH or elsewhere on Boards, that are definitely female. But if you do, try making rape-related comments of a similar nature about them. Let's see then whether you avoid being banned for long.

My guess: such tasteless and abusive carry-on might well get you permanently banned from Boards.

Now consider this 'real-life' situation which concerns the clearly unprofessional behaviour of Garda officers. It reveals a lot about their attitudes to their work and to their dealings with the public. I hope they pay an appropriate price for their lack of discipline and professionalism.

Grow up you dickhead........
    I have never heard such drivel in all my life. You went into your rant without fully understanding the story behind it. Its people like you that should be banned for stupid statements like the one you just made.

[mod: user banned for personal abuse]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I'm lost for words on the high horsedness of some people in here.

It was a joke said in private, get over yourselves ffs.

I'm sure their wives / daughters etc will find it hilarious too.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

pakalasa wrote: »
    I'm sure their wives / daughters etc will find it hilarious too.:mad:

I make jokes like that all the time. The entire POINT is that it's OTT intentionally but you have to be careful with the person you're saying it to (one of my friends is a girl and she makes jokes like that herself).

Them having wives and their ability to be professional when FACING the public bears no relation whatsoever to a joke made in private between friends.

I personally hope the garda 'investigating' has common sense and just lets the matter slide so they can get on with their jobs. It's a pathetic attempt to get two gardai in trouble imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement