Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo Garda - 'Give me your name and address or I'll rape you'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭J77

IMHO a good bollocking off from the super and a writtin warning to go on their record would suffice.

A good bollocking for being so stupid as not to ensure the camera was turned off is what they should get.

The woman sounds like a nightmare in fairness. I have no time for most of these protesters, I can only assume since she's american/canadian that she has no standing to even be there or protest the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bigbridge

NUI Status for Templemore i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Humour is an important part of policing.

I don't think what was said there would in anyway effect how they would deal with women, but the entire public.

This was just banter between a bunch of lads, happens all the time, this time in uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Baha, I laughed my arse off. My friends and I have conversations like this all the time. It's just a few lads having the bant, they weren't actually threatening her with rape, it was a joke that wasn't said infront of her. Ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I think we should withhold judgement on whether or not the rape comment is serious or not until we can get an actual picture of what the girl actually looks like.

Let's not jump the gun here lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'm lost for words on the high horsedness of some people in here.

It was a joke said in private, get over yourselves ffs.

But it wasn't in private though was it? They were at work.

Is it too much to ask that the police actually police the country instead of driving around making rape jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

But it wasn't in private though was it? They were at work.

Is it too much to ask that the police actually police the country instead of driving around making rape jokes.

so nothing done or said while at work is private?

What has making a bad joke in private while on a car journey got to do with someone doing their job?

Are they mutually exclusive? or am i missing something....

please explain

or is that just more sensationalist nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I must say though my thought at the time was, if I came out with that line at work I'd have a Ricky Gervais awkward silence moment, at the same time storm in a tea cup for sure, its not like a crime was committed.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

finty wrote: »
    so nothing done or said while at work is private?

What has making a bad joke in private while on a car journey got to do with someone doing their job?

Are they mutually exclusive? or am i missing something....

please explain

or is that just more sensationalist nonsense?

Correct, something said in public is not private, something said in private is private.

It wasn't said in a private car journey it was said in a Garda car, which is their workplace while they are on duty and in the middle of carrying out an arrest.

Its very simple if you want to make bad jokes in private do it in private, don't do it at work when you are being video'd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

It wasn't said in a private car journey it was said in a Garda car, which is their workplace while they are on duty and in the middle of carrying out an arrest.

They weren't carrying out an arrest though. The girl was in a different car. These guys were in a separate car but they took the girls camera in their car as they were also on their way back to the station.
    Its very simple if you want to make bad jokes in private do it in private, don't do it at work when you are being video'd.

They had no knowledge that the camera was still on. When they confiscated it they obviously didn't turn it off. So they were not being filmed by anyone.

Correct me if I am wrong though, work or not the car is still private space. If I work in an office it is considered private to workers of said office and company. Any non employees have no right to be there unless invited in. If it was considered public space anyone could walk in and out of it. Same goes for a vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

Correct, something said in public is not private, something said in private is private.

Dude go get the facts straight first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

It was actually pretty funny. And before it they could be heard logically talking about incident, potential consequences etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

you-gonna-get-raped.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

bryanjf wrote: »
    you-gonna-get-raped.jpg

Hahaha! :pac: I nearly choked laughing at this!*

*Obviously if I was working when I saw this I wouldn't have found it in the least amusing. I definitely would have tut-tutted in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭thebullkf

How is that relevant?

how is it not:confused:

whippet wrote: »
    she wasn't threatened with rape.

she wasn't privey to this conversation.

she was never intended to hear the conversation

So, from another angle, your a talking to your brother about another sibling when they are not around and you say 'He took my new jacket out with him tonight .. i'll F-in' kill him when he comes home' .. are you actually threatening you murder your brother?

yeah thats the same:rolleyes:

Garda have a higher duty of care given their position of power.

At best its extremely crude and unprofessional deserving of reprimand.
    at worst its a suspendable offence.

Just because he wasn't going to actually rape her doesn't make it any less heinous.
    Are you a garda whippet?

If you make a joke in an office,in private and somebody you didn't know was there,actually heard it and was offended, you should be punished.

Simples

I make jokes like that all the time. The entire POINT is that it's OTT intentionally but you have to be careful with the person you're saying it to (one of my friends is a girl and she makes jokes like that herself).

Them having wives and their ability to be professional when FACING the public bears no relation whatsoever to a joke made in private between friends.

I personally hope the garda 'investigating' has common sense and just lets the matter slide so they can get on with their jobs. It's a pathetic attempt to get two gardai in trouble imo.

hence you're reason for defending it. it wasn't in private....it was while on official duty, fuckin pricks end up giving daycent garda a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Seen Photoshop is already been put to use.....

garda_rape.jpg

garda_surprise_sex.jpg

Garda_Larry_Murphy.jpg

They weren't carrying out an arrest though. The girl was in a different car. These guys were in a separate car but they took the girls camera in their car as they were also on their way back to the station.

They had no knowledge that the camera was still on. When they confiscated it they obviously didn't turn it off. So they were not being filmed by anyone.

Correct me if I am wrong though, work or not the car is still private space. If I work in an office it is considered private to workers of said office and company. Any non employees have no right to be there unless invited in. If it was considered public space anyone could walk in and out of it. Same goes for a vehicle.

consider yourselfcorrected.
    its a garda car=workplace=work=private

It's unfortunate that they were 'caught' on tape.

God knows the Guards have to deal with enough sh!te in their job, I think they are entitled to a bit of 'comic relief'.

"Oh, but they were on duty", "It's so unprofessional" blah blah whinge moan.

Hopefully whoever 'reprimands' them goes easy on them and advises them to check if they are being recorded before they have a bit of banter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I don't know why they were joking about Rape though. Rape is never funny.

Unless of course you're raping a clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Mike... wrote: »
    Seen Photoshop is already been put to use.....
    More like Paint by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Andy Gray and Richard Keys where only having a bit of "banter" also.......

Listen ive worked alot of jobs with the "lads" and heard it all,but even this shocked me....i dont know is it the fact that these people are supposed to be pillars of the community,someone young people look up to,or aspire to be...but lads ffs its not on.
    .end of.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I don't know why they were joking about Rape though. Rape is never funny.

I know, I know.
    bad2dabone wrote: »
    Unless of course you're raping a clown.
    Tee-hee-hee!

Christ, looking at 'Primetime' now, they have the scary music, Miriam is talking about RAPE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

The recording has been taken down from Vimeo, is there anywhere else I can listen to it online?

The recording has been taken down from Vimeo, is there anywhere else I can listen to it online?

not sure about online,drop into most places of employment ....sure everyone tells these jokes.....(according to this thread.):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

merlie wrote: »
    I myself would hate to have overheard something like that, and as a victim of assault, when I was younger, I'm really glad that it came to light, as I would hate to think that this kind of behaviour is tolerated.
    It's not about being tolerated really. The state isn't in charge of what people say in private, if this was said in front of members of the public there would be an issue but it wasn't and these guards didn't say anything in an official capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Have to say played my part and have been the victim of many a joke.

But to joke about RAPING someone is sick and the mind of a sick person.

If they were on duty clocked in at tax payers expense they should be dismissed immediatly and DNA swabbed against any outstanding sex crimes. If someone jokes about this subject it kinda gives you an insight into their mind.

Ever hear the bloke on the plane tell the joke about the bomb he has, nobody smiles and culprit is always arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

People need to take a step back and ask themselves what the hell is going on in the world....the likes of Gaddafi is killing thousands of innocent people, a PSNI officer has been killed by a bomb last weekend, a plane crash has claimed the lives of innocent people in Cork recently. And all people can do is focus on this and moan and complain about stupid, irrelevant things like this. i know rape is not a laughing matter but for god sake, there was no harm done.

People are built to laugh, nobody is perfect and if someone has the qualities to be a guard then let them be a guard. If they have a laugh amongst each other while driving (and nothing more) during their job then let them. They are not expected to sit in silence or talk about the law etc when doing this.

The world is gone crazy. I actually cannot believe people are coming on here and saying they should be sacked/face further charges etc. I know it is not very professional but they are hardly going to go around raping law breakign women are they? I suppose these same people who are giving out about them have never done anything wrong in their lives.

Let those who have not sinned cast the first stone..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

lastlaugh wrote: »
    It's unfortunate that they were 'caught' on tape.

God knows the Guards have to deal with enough sh!te in their job, I think they are entitled to a bit of 'comic relief'.

"Oh, but they were on duty", "It's so unprofessional" blah blah whinge moan.

Hopefully whoever 'reprimands' them goes easy on them and advises them to check if they are being recorded before they have a bit of banter.

Whatever floats your boat. You into RAPE and stuff like that, maybe for the craic we RAPE the forgiener over there, ahh sure was only joking boys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement