Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo Garda - 'Give me your name and address or I'll rape you'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Just goes to show the attitude they have. Hard men talking about raping women. A shower of low IQ thugs on a power trip, that is what was sent to police the protests for Shell in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

To be fair, it was just two lads in a car having some craic. They didn't threaten anybody with anything. Had the woman, or anybody from the public been in the car, I'd highly doubt they would have said anything. It's a private conversation at the end of the day. Totally out of order at work, agreed. But to listen to Prime Time and the hysteria you would think that they had actually raped the woman! The woman's identity hidden was a bit OTT wasn't it? And that idiot woman on afterward claiming that women in Belmullet are somehow more at risk now? FFS it was just bad taste humour that every fella indulges in at some time, even in work, and they were caught. A reprimand and an apology are in order and then drop it. They have been made a national spectacle as it is, enoughs enough. To say they should be sacked or tried is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

thebullkf wrote: »
    consider yourselfcorrected.
    its a garda car=workplace=work=private

So you are saying they are private then? Thus not really correcting me. Good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

token101 wrote: »
    To be fair, it was just two lads in a car having some craic. They didn't threaten anybody with anything. Had the woman, or anybody from the public been in the car, I'd highly doubt they would have said anything. It's a private conversation at the end of the day. Totally out of order at work, agreed. But to listen to Prime Time and the hysteria you would think that they had actually raped the woman! The woman's identity hidden was a bit OTT wasn't it? And that idiot woman on afterward claiming that women in Belmullet are somehow more at risk now? FFS it was just bad taste humour that every fella indulges in at some time, even in work, and they were caught. A reprimand and an apology are in order and then drop it. They have been made a national spectacle as it is, enoughs enough. To say they should be sacked or tried is ridiculous.

Will ya fook off, i've had plenty of banter with the lads, but never ever in my life have i heard banter about RAPING somebody. Ahh sure we rape your woman for the craic lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

But to joke about RAPING someone is sick and the mind of a sick person.

If they were on duty clocked in at tax payers expense they should be dismissed immediatly and DNA swabbed against any outstanding sex crimes. If someone jokes about this subject it kinda gives you an insight into their mind.

QUOTE]

Talk about a waste of a taxpayers money....swabbing the millions of people who joke about this kind of thing every year?

Shur while we're at it lets question Dara O'Brien for being behind 9/11 seeing as though he made a joke about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If they were on duty clocked in at tax payers expense they should be dismissed immediatly and DNA swabbed against any outstanding sex crimes. If someone jokes about this subject it kinda gives you an insight into their mind.

Really? Your that dead set against free speech?

Some very famous comedians make rape jokes.

Every bodies laughing at the jokes too, weird?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Whatever floats your boat. You into RAPE and stuff like that, maybe for the craic we RAPE the forgiener over there, ahh sure was only joking boys.

Yes, I'm into "RAPE and stuff like that"

Blow it out your ass you twat.

Mod note: User was banned for this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 niallmph

To give this a broader context the Garda have treated the community like muck for as long as they have been collecting their fat overtime cheques down there. I feel sorry for these officers losing their careers potentially over their comments but we live in a society where this behaviour is unacceptable. It's a shame that it took these actions to highlight the issue of Garda abuse in the Rossport!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

Far be it from me to defend the PO-lice, But I make MUCH WORSE jokes than that EVERY day. And I'm not even nearly a rapist. Ya'll bitches need to stop whinin'

• Registered Users Posts: 7 niallmph

Wrong context you moron! Some people should not be allowed access to Youtube. You didn't highlight your point well you just like someone who has the ****eist since of humor anyone has ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

pokerface_me, calm down. Last warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nobody3

Typical of security forces the world over. I'm not surprised all :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

The issue I don't think is the joke itself but the fact that gardai, in a professional setting who are supposedly the people you go to to report you got raped said it. I'm sure it was only banter, but frankly they're grown men and they should know better than to make fun of something that ruins lives and they themselves are the ones who are supposed to help victims.

niallmph wrote: »
    Wrong context you moron! Some people should not be allowed access to Youtube. You didn't highlight your point well you just like someone who has the ****eist since of humor anyone has ever seen.

The context was provided in the quote. Anyone who makes a rape joke has something wrong with them. That must include just about every comedian you laugh at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's not about being tolerated really. The state isn't in charge of what people say in private, if this was said in front of members of the public there would be an issue but it wasn't and these guards didn't say anything in an official capacity.

it wasn't in private, it was said whilst on duty.
    So you are saying they are private then? Thus not really correcting me. Good man.

i used the strikeout feature on the = sign.....never came out.

so consider yourself corrected ...again;)
    Really? Your that dead set against free speech?

Some very famous comedians make rape jokes.

Every bodies laughing at the jokes too, weird?

all those comedians work for the irish people?...didn't think so.

theres a time and place for that humour (i love bill hicks/leary/pryor/carlin) btw, so i do have a sense of humour..just not when on duty, in their position.

Weird?

it wasn't in private, it was said whilst on duty.
    If all guards had a microphone on them that broadcast everything they said then you might have a point. They where in a car no one could hear them that's private in my book, wearing a uniform doesn't change that. These are still people if you expect them to act like robots while on duty your going to be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

What happened the lady for not cooperating with the Gardai?

If all guards had a microphone on them that broadcast everything they said then you might have a point.

really?....says who?.,..you? ... :rolleyes:
    They where in a car no one could hear them that's private in my book,

its not in my book, or the one book that really matters: the law. a vehicle is a designated workplace,and should be treated as such. ya can't smoke in a work car either btw.

wearing a uniform doesn't change that.

it does.

These are still people if you expect them to act like robots while on duty your going to be disappointed.

you're the only one mentioning robots, i expect them to behave professionally,in the workplace. even more so that they're keepers of the peace,and actually deal with rape victims.

really?....says who?.,..you? ... :rolleyes:
    I don't know what you mean by that.

its not in my book, or the one book that really matters: the law. a vehicle is a designated workplace,and should be treated as such. ya can't smoke in a work car either btw.
    I don't think there is a law that says you can't tell distasteful jokes in your workplace. It's frowned upon but really unenforceable when people go into private areas so others can't hear them to tell their illegal jokes.

it does.
    I think you should look up the definition of private. Wearing a uniform doesn't change the definition of the word private.

you're the only one mentioning robots, i expect them to behave professionally,in the workplace. even more so that they're keepers of the peace,and actually deal with rape victims.
    No your expecting people to start acting like atomitons at all times while their clocked in, it's just not going to happen.

I don't know what you mean by that.

i'm sure you'll figure it out.

I don't think there is a law that says you can't tell distasteful jokes in your workplace.
    theres your problem. you don't know

It's frowned upon but really unenforceable when people go into private areas so others can't hear them to tell their illegal jokes.

i agree, this wasn't private. if it was, we wouldn't be having this discussion

I think you should look up the definition of private. Wearing a uniform doesn't change the definition of the word private.

i think you should, honestly.

No your expecting people to start acting like atomitons at all times while their clocked in, it's just not going to happen.

i don't expect people to act like automatons at all, just, as i said earlier professionally whilst on duty.

• Advertisement

i'm sure you'll figure it out.
    You'll have to explain it. I said

"If all guards had a microphone on them that broadcast everything they said then you might have a point."

You said..

"Really?....says who?.,..you? ..."

I don't see how that reply has anything to do with what I said.

Really?
    No, I said if.

Says who?
    I said it, it's a hypothetical to make a point.

theres your problem. you don't know
    OK so, yes I do know, for a fact. Now prove me wrong.

i agree, this wasn't private. if it was, we wouldn't be having this discussion
    Eavesdropping on a private conversation doesn't mean it's a public conversation it just means you heard something you weren't supposed to.

i think you should, honestly.
    I did look it up before I posted so I know your wrong.

You'll have to explain it. I said

"If all guards had a microphone on them that broadcast everything they said then you might have a point."

You said..

"Really?....says who?.,..you? ..."

I don't see how that reply has anything to do with what I said.

Really?
    No, I said if.

Says who?
    I said it, it's a hypothetical to make a point.

sigh.

OK so, yes I do know, for a fact. Now prove me wrong.

prove you're right, you're making the claim. burden of proof lies with you.

Eavesdropping on a private conversation doesn't mean it's a public conversation it just means you heard something you weren't supposed to.

if its done whilst on duty (having the conversation) then its not private, they're ambassadors for the Irish government,and people.
    i know they're human, i understand they made a mistake, they must suffer the consequences of their actions.

I did look it up before I posted so I know your wrong.

LOL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

I believe that the people viewing the comedians paid to be entertained, the gardai are paid to provide security....Massive difference...unless the gardai have secretly been issued with new powers, which would not really surprise me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

whippet wrote: »
    in every walk of life people joke about insensitive things, in every job people give out about customers, workmates, family etc .. say things they don't mean, bravado .. what ever you call it.

Unfortunatly this was caught on tape, it does sound unprofessional, and it isn't right or proper, but I don't think it deserves the media hype and condemnation that it has attracted.

Sure even on facebook the word Fraped is close to inclusion in the oxford dictionary, I hear the term 'first touch of a rapist' most evening as football training etc ... it is part and parcel of life but it should be in a public domain, and the fact that the video camera was left on in the garda car is the only reason why we even know about this.
    Every walk of life? Will you take a break before you really embarrass yourself. These aren't people in 'every walk of life' or 'facebook'. These are individuals charged with the responsibiltity of public safety and TRUST! They are two individuals with a twisted sick sense of humour.

If I was caught on tape saying I was going to rape someone joking or otherwise I would be prosecuted to the letter of the law.

Far be it from me to defend the PO-lice, But I make MUCH WORSE jokes than that EVERY day. And I'm not even nearly a rapist. Ya'll bitches need to stop whinin'
    As I said to another poster you're not responsible for serving the public trust. These scum bags wield certain powers and are subject to regulation thereon. The amount of people condoning rape as comedy is mindblowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I see the High Horse Brigade are out in force again...

Before i even comment, i do not condone rape. Obviously.

Right, 2 Gardai at work, on the way back to the station in the patrol car with nothing to keep them company only each other and a video camera which they (foolishly) presumed to be turned off. They start talking. They aahve a laugh. An simple comment was made with the intent to stir laughter, which it did. Not a condoning intentful comment. He never had the intention of acting on this comment, nor of letting the arrested female know of this comment. This can be classed as Black Humour (look it up), and can be used by workforces who encounter terrible things and use this black humour as a mechanism to cope.

Now, as for the comments about them being in uniform and on duty. Yes, there would be uproar if this was said to someone in public, or to an arrested person, and rightly so. But, it was said privately between 2 colleagues without any intent of anyone outside of that duo hearing it. It is a juvenile comment, but the world is flooded with such comments, take sickipedia.org for prime example. Although, the people with tender hearts and minds should steer well clear.

People are arguing that the Garda car is a public place, it is not. Public do not have the right to enter and leave it as they please. It is not a taxi or bus, which are public places. Look that up too. This negates any point stating that the comment was made in public. Doesn't matter if they were on or off-duty, it was not said in a public place.

Finally, for those looking for the Gardai to be tried in court, it was a comment with no intent, it has no legal criminal consequence. The only Act that it could come under is the Incitement to Hatred Act, but for it to fall under this Act it would have to have been said in public (see above) and with the intent of inciting hatred in the general public. This, it wasn't.

As for my personal views on it, i believe it was a comment with no place in the public domain, between colleagues who are human. It was never intended to be heard, and as such does not warrant any serious consequences. I make terrible tasting jokes most the day, and the people i say them to are never offended, as they know it's just a joke. It's when it's taken out of context, like this, that the High Horse Brigade jump on the bandwagon and start wailing for blood.

To finish, 2 grow-ups. The first goes to everyone making a mountain out of a molehill with this. The second goes to me, and others like me, who use crude humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

overreaction for sure. i tell worse jokes every day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

when i heard it i thought it was pretty funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

"give me your name and address or ill rape you"

*banter laugh*

"will you be my friend on facebook?"

classic!!!

• Advertisement

To finish, 2 grow-ups.
    Answer me this. If these two grown ups overheard me joking about raping someone would they give me the benefit of the doubt? I don't expect you to respond since you know in your heart you're wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement