Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo Garda - 'Give me your name and address or I'll rape you'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭thebullkf

I see the High Horse Brigade are out in force again...

Before i even comment, i do not condone rape. Obviously.

why is it obvious?

Now, as for the comments about them being in uniform and on duty. Yes, there would be uproar if this was said to someone in public, or to an arrested person, and rightly so. But, it was said privately between 2 colleagues without any intent of anyone outside of that duo hearing it.

but it was heard, intent doesn't come into it.

It is a juvenile comment, but the world is flooded with such comments, take sickipedia.org for prime example. Although, the people with tender hearts and minds should steer well clear.

terrible analogy
    People are arguing that the Garda car is a public place, it is not. Public do not have the right to enter and leave it as they please. It is not a taxi or bus, which are public places. Look that up too. This negates any point stating that the comment was made in public. Doesn't matter if they were on or off-duty, it was not said in a public place.

who said it was a public place?

i said it was a workplace . big difference. your above defense is meaningless.
    Finally, for those looking for the Gardai to be tried in court, it was a comment with no intent,

intention is irrelevant- it was heard, people are offended.
    it has no legal criminal consequence. The only Act that it could come under is the Incitement to Hatred Act, but for it to fall under this Act it would have to have been said in public (see above) and with the intent of inciting hatred in the general public. This, it wasn't.

how do you know this?

As for my personal views on it, i believe it was a comment with no place in the public domain,

what about the workplace?...do you condone such comments in work?

between colleagues who are human. It was never intended to be heard, and as such does not warrant any serious consequences.
    see above
    I make terrible tasting jokes most the day, and the people i say them to are never offended, as they know it's just a joke.

do you tell rape jokes in work?

t's when it's taken out of context, like this, that the High Horse Brigade jump on the bandwagon and start wailing for blood.

i agree, this isn't outta context. see previous posts.
    btw who's wailing for blood??
    To finish, 2 grow-ups. The first goes to everyone making a mountain out of a molehill with this. The second goes to me, and others like me, who use crude humour.

because of your poor spelling i don't understand this comment. apologies but could you clarify? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

whippet wrote: »
    what are you on about?

She was arrested for a public order offence. Nothing more nothing less.

She isn't making any accusation of anything improper about the arrest or how she was treated while under arrest.

What was caught on camera was a discussion between the arresting officers in private, it was never meant to be heard by her or anyone else.

It sounds unprofessional, but never was the prisioner's rights in question here.

I detest sensationalist nonsence like this.

/ Applause

gman2k wrote: »
    And how is a person who has suffered rape meant to feel?
    Supposing their local Garda station is the one in question....how would that person feel? walking in there knowing that some Gardai think it's funny talking about raping women.

But have no fear, there will be nothing done against these 'Guardians of the Peace', technicalities will be found, the Garda Union will object, evidence deemed in-admissable etc etc etc etc

Let's HOPE theres nothing done or we won't be able to talk freely in private anymore.
    What if I am caught saying that some girl in work wants it 'up the ass', to my work mates, who chuckle and retort accordingly?.
    If I was caught on tape and the tape was shown to said girl, I'm sure she would be offended (or turned on, depends). Either way, it's PRIVATE!!!

With all the hullabaloo, anyone would think this crusty woman was raped by 3 GARDA, in a car and then deported. FFS gow up people.

Why don't you all scream out for the Dundon family to be put away, instead of 3 GARDA, priorities oscured, sensationalism wins out again. Dumb general public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Have to say played my part and have been the victim of many a joke.

But to joke about RAPING someone is sick and the mind of a sick person.

If they were on duty clocked in at tax payers expense they should be dismissed immediatly and DNA swabbed against any outstanding sex crimes. If someone jokes about this subject it kinda gives you an insight into their mind.

Ever hear the bloke on the plane tell the joke about the bomb he has, nobody smiles and culprit is always arrested.
    thebullkf wrote: »

terrible analogy

who said it was a public place?

i said it was a workplace . big difference. your above defense is meaningless.

how do you know this?

what about the workplace?...do you condone such comments in work?

see above

because of your poor spelling i don't understand this comment. apologies but could you clarify? thanks

Alas, it seems the moral high horse brigade won't let this go until we all convert to their way of thinking. :o

terrible analogy

see above

Welcome to todays world. Someone is offended, cough up or it's off to the slammer.

You really have to tip toe these days for fear of offending anyone, it's obviously very serious. Never mind attacking someone, but actually mentally offending them, ouch. My heart bleeds for that woman from Camp Crusty. Someone said something about her, behind her back, miles away from her. Who is she, The Queen? Maybe I shouldn't ven be typing this about her, I may lose MY job too. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Let's HOPE theres nothing done or we won't be able to talk freely in private anymore.
    What if I am caught saying that some girl in work wants it 'up the ass', to my work mates, who chuckle and retort accordingly?.

if you said it in work, and were overheard- you would and should be disciplined.
    With all the hullabaloo, anyone would think this crusty woman

enough said.
    Why don't you all scream out for the Dundon family to be put away, instead of 3 GARDA, priorities oscured, sensationalism wins out again. Dumb general public.

no ones askin for cops to be locked up, now whos being sensationalist:rolleyes:

lastlaugh wrote: »
    Alas, it seems the moral high horse brigade won't let this go until we all convert to their way of thinking. :o

alas, your post is meaningless.:o

how about constructive debate?

i wonder how many who've posted on this thread, are women....

Welcome to todays world. Someone is offended, cough up or it's off to the slammer.

You really have to tip toe these days for fear of offending anyone, it's obviously very serious. Never mind attacking someone, but actually mentally offending them, ouch. My heart bleeds for that woman from Camp Crusty. Someone said something about her, behind her back, miles away from her. Who is she, The Queen? Maybe I shouldn't ven be typing this about her, I may lose MY job too. :rolleyes:

ignorance and rudeness is so becoming:rolleyes:

for all the defenders of the gardai....

take a look at todays 'Post of the day'.
    Solair wrote: »
    When you're wearing a Garda uniform, or when you're a teacher, a medical practitioner, a nurse or anyone who is in a position of power, you do not talk like that in any situation.

Even if they were just 'two lads talking sh*ite", it would still be pretty shocking. The fact that they were two gardai on duty means that it's completely unacceptable behaviour.

The other issue is that vulnerable people who have been victims of sexual assault have to rely on the Gardaí to be their first point of contact in a crisis and to deal with often very personal information and accounts of terrible situations. They also have to rely on them to bring prosecutions against their attackers and also to provide protection to victims.

What kind of twisted message does this "lads talking sh*ite" send out about the Gardaí. Do they find rape to be an amusing topic or something?!

Quite honestly, I think this should be dealt with directly by the Minister for Justice. It's that serious!

Also, this is the modern world, recording devices are tiny and should be assumed to be everywhere. You behave appropriately when you're on duty.

for all the defenders of the gardai....

take a look at todays 'Post of the day'.

Pfff, more sensationalist hang'em high drivel.

• Advertisement

lastlaugh wrote: »
    Pfff, more sensationalist hang'em high drivel.

If you don't want to discuss this, why are you here?

If you've nothing constructive to say/add to the debate,and insist on trolling- kindly go away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

TBH, Anyone who jokes or has a bit of 'banter' about rape is a bit of a dickhead really.

droidus wrote: »
    TBH, Anyone who jokes or has a bit of 'banter' about rape is a bit of a dickhead really.

i've no issue with black/dark humour, i do in work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

It was private joke between two people. It's unfortunate that it was heard, buts that's it. Saying something and believing/doing it are two different things.

If they were talking about how they would murder a sandwich, would the reaction be the same? I doubt that.

Also, the suggestion that rape victims would now be afraid to approach the Gardaí is insanely ridiculous. Are we now going to see a drop in rape victim figures?!

If you don't want to discuss this, why are you here?

If you've nothing constructive to say/add to the debate,and insist on trolling- kindly go away

It seems pointless to 'discuss' this with the moral high horse elements in this thread. You can't see it for what is really is, a private joke (albeit in bad taste) between two Guards.
    All this pedantic nonsence about being in uniform or being in a car while on duty and whatever, I really don't want to waste my time getting bogged down in these kind of stuff.

Here's something contructive, hopefully these two Guards will learn from this experience, keep their jobs, continue to serve the community and we all move on. End of.

Liamario wrote: »
    It was private joke between two people. It's unfortunate that it was heard, buts that's it. Saying something and believing/doing it are two different things.

If they were talking about how they would murder a sandwich, would the reaction be the same? I doubt that.

Also, the suggestion that rape victims would now be afraid to approach the Gardaí is insanely ridiculous. Are we now going to see a drop in rape victim figures?!

have you actually read the entire thread?

why would there be a drop in rape victim figures?

rape is rarely reported as it is. there may be a drop in rape reportings ..i dunno. not qualified to assert that statement.

I say rape victim figures, as I have assumed (possibly wrongly) that people need to report rape in order for there to be a statistic on it. In any event, my point still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭IRISHREDSTAR

Sheeps wrote: »
    when i heard it i thought it was pretty funny

When I heard it I thought it was pretty sick, men joking about rape or pedophilea are sick scum it is also the way rapists and pedos sound out there own kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DubiousV

Might as well throw in my two cents...

I hear jokes like this occasionally while at work and tbh they are imho just told for shock value, the humour not being in the concept but rather in the sheer outrageousness of the joke or comment. Should these Gardai be disciplined if found to have done this? That's for Garda management to say though personally I think a reprimand should suffice.

A lot of people have voiced concerns in the media about rape victims potentially being afraid to report their suffering to the gardai, but if this had been handled with discretion from the outset rather than being blared on every TV and radio station I think victims of this vile crime would have been better served. I'm not suggesting it should have been ignored btw, but rather handled in-house and with discretion.

DubiousV wrote: »
    Might as well throw in my two cents...

I hear jokes like this occasionally while at work and tbh they are imho just told for shock value, the humour not being in the concept but rather in the sheer outrageousness of the joke or comment. Should these Gardai be disciplined if found to have done this? That's for Garda management to say though personally I think a reprimand should suffice.

A lot of people have voiced concerns in the media about rape victims potentially being afraid to report their suffering to the gardai, but if this had been handled with discretion from the outset rather than being blared on every TV and radio station I think victims of this vile crime would have been better served. I'm not suggesting it should have been ignored btw, but rather handled in-house and with discretion.

Totally agree with you.

Regarding your point about it being handled in-house and with discretion though, the crusty, Ahem, I mean the protester lady, got on the blower to two female reporters straight away therefore ensuring it was in the Media and hence the Sh!t-storm that has now followed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 hectorh

This is beyond ridiculous. From what I've heard, the woman involved refused to cooperate and wouldn't give her name to the garda so she decides to turn on her camera to record herself provoking a guard. By luck, the guards say a joke in private (in bad taste to some) and she records it. If it was a video of them hopping around in clown suits talking about rape it still couldn't be any more obvious they were joking. Woman is "horrified".

What is achieved?

• Publicity for the Shell to Sea campaign.
    • Police resources, time and money wasted.
    • Media sensationalize and make a fortune.
    • Career ruined for 3 guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

ScumLord wrote: »
    Really? Your that dead set against free speech?

Some very famous comedians make rape jokes.

Every bodies laughing at the jokes too, weird?

Difference is not many rape victims go to stand up comedians to report the crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

GRA does not condone "any conduct or discussion that attacks women or women’s rights".

Gardaí found guilty of any wrongdoing in an alleged rape remarks controversy face the gravest of consequences, rank-and-file leaders have warned.

But the Garda Representative Association (GRA), which speaks for the force grassroots, insisted “due process” must be allowed in two probes into the incident at the Corrib gas project in Co Mayo.

PJ Stone, the GRA general secretary, also stressed allegations that officers joked about raping protesters were no reflection on the force as a whole.

“This incident should be viewed in isolation; it is to be dealt with in a disciplinary context,” he said.

“If the gardai are found guilty of any wrongdoing it carries the gravest of consequences.”

[...]

The force watchdog, the Garda Ombudsman, has also taken the unusual step of launching its own inquiry in the public interest.

Mr Stone said officers do not condone any conduct or discussion that attacks women or women’s rights.

He added: “You can not take from one incident that the entire Garda Siochana is misogynist.

“It has never been appropriate to make suggestive comments about rape; not in 1922 and not now.”

Superintendent Jim Smith, president of the Association of Garda Superintendents (AGS), insisted there would be a speedy outcome to the internal inquiry.

The senior officer also stressed the reported remarks were not reflective of the entire force.

“We would not condone these reported remarks and they are not reflective of the mindset of the Garda Siochana,” he said.

“We deal with these matters in a very professional manner and with compassion and sensitivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I don't mind 'sick humour' but how funny was this joke? To me it's just a couple of smarmy guys mouthing off:(

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭forfcksake

Its good enough for the guards they are suppose to act in a professional manner while on duty and in uniform, so whether it was a joke between them or not it shouldn't have been said anyway, the way they deal with the public at times is the real joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

gman2k wrote: »
    And how is a person who has suffered rape meant to feel?
    Supposing their local Garda station is the one in question....how would that person feel?

Very good point, but who willingly released the tape to the media? I don't believe these girls were "worried" or "distressed" at having heard the tape tbh.
    The girls saw a chance to make a show of the guards that arrested them and they took it. Did they care that this tape might make some women in future weary about reporting rape? No they didn't. They were so caught up in their spite for revenge that they didn't care.

After all, they were so "distressed" that they took the tape to the media before they even thought to make a complaint to a different local garda station or indeed the ombudsman. It seems making a complaint was almost an after thought. They were out for revenge and so went straight to the media.

The only problem is that their little spate for revenge will inadvertently make things more difficult for future rape victims in this country. Usually when women are out for revenge, they look to get that revenge at all costs possible and think of the consequences later.

If the girls were worried about these officers attitudes to rape, they could have reported the matter in private (as is normal) to the independent garda ombudsman and the officers in question could have been dealt with accordingly without women in this country now having to think twice about reporting rape thanks to these two egits crusade for revenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

^
    Shooting the messenger?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Oh It's all those bloody women's fault:rolleyes:

2wsxcde3 wrote: »
    Very good point, but who willingly released the tape to the media? I don't believe these girls were "worried" or "distressed" at having heard the tape tbh.
    The girls saw a chance to make a show of the guards that arrested them and they took it. Did they care that this tape might make some women in future weary about reporting rape? No they didn't. They were so caught up in their spite for revenge that they didn't care.

After all, they were so "distressed" that they took the tape to the media before they even thought to make a complaint to a different local garda station or indeed the ombudsman. It seems making a complaint was almost an after thought. They were out for revenge and so went straight to the media.

The only problem is that their little spate for revenge will inadvertently make things more difficult for future rape victims in this country. Usually when women are out for revenge, they look to get that revenge at all costs possible and think of the consequences later.

If the girls were worried about these officers attitudes to rape, they could have reported the matter in private (as is normal) to the independent garda ombudsman and the officers in question could have been dealt with accordingly without women in this country now having to think twice about reporting rape thanks to these two egits crusade for revenge.

Here here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

2wsxcde3 wrote: »

The temptresses were wearing short skirts, or so I heard..............

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement