Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo Garda - 'Give me your name and address or I'll rape you'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

I mean the idea that these girls were "distressed" at what they heard on the tape...pleeeease. It's more likely a wry grin came on their faces when they heard the tape and realised what they had - a bit of revenge for the police (generally speaking no one likes the police) and a bit of nice propaganda for the shell at sea campaign.

So the girls defined garda orders, then refused to give their name and address when requested (pretty much guaranteeing an arrest) - and then they play the role of delicate creatures to the media that were "distressed" at hearing 2 lads having a stupid joke with each other.

If they were hard-nosed enough to put it up to police and refuse to comply with orders, i don't think they were so delicate to be "distressed" at hearing 2 lads clearly having a joke.

I honestly think they were probably actually very happy at what they had managed to bag on tape. I mean what are the chances you'd get such a gem on recording:rolleyes: First order of business, why would we be interested in contacting the garda ombudsman? Instead, what TV stations and newspapers can we get in touch with...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

2wsxcde3 wrote: »
    I mean the idea that these girls were "distressed" at what they heard on the tape...pleeeease. It's more likely a wry grin came on their faces when they heard the tape and realised what they had - a bit of revenge for the police (generally speaking no one likes the police) and a bit of nice propaganda for the shell at sea campaign.

So the girls defined garda orders, then refused to give their name and address when requested (pretty much guaranteeing an arrest) - and then they play the role of delicate creatures to the media that were "distressed" at hearing 2 lads having a stupid joke with each other.

If they were hard-nosed enough to put it up to police and refuse to comply with orders, i don't think they were so delicate to be "distressed" at hearing 2 lads clearly having a joke.

I honestly think they were probably actually very happy at what they had managed to bag on tape. I mean what are the chances you'd get such a gem on recording:rolleyes: First order of business, why would we be interested in contacting the garda ombudsman? Instead, what TV stations and newspapers can we get in touch with...

I don't doubt for one second that you are correct about the motives for releasing the video, and i would guess that they decided this was a better idea (as it would have an impact) than to add yet another complaint to the list of over 100 complaints that have been made to the ombudsman about the Gardai in Rossport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

people are seeming to miss the difference between the general joking about something that is probably accectable in private

ie; a girl walks into a bar and while she's unconcious she got raped or some other inane "joke"

and the spefic

ie; those girls in our custody at the minute, "give me your name and address or i'll rape you.

i'll put it another way there is a forum on here (there are probably a few) with gallows/sick/strange jokes
    pretty much anything goes as long as its not acually about someone

so you can tell jokes about other races about peadophiles about whatever you want

BUT

you can't make fun of spefic people , you cant for example go into the realationship forum quotye some girl who put on 5 stone in the last years and pretend to answer her saying i donno; no wonder yer fella s shagging around he signed up for pussy and got hippo.

those garda were joking about spefic females in their custody which means there care

its not ok !

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

Tigger wrote: »
    people are seeming to miss the difference between the general joking about something that is probably accectable in private

ie; a girl walks into a bar and while she's unconcious she got raped or some other inane "joke"

and the spefic

ie; those girls in our custody at the minute, "give me your name and address or i'll rape you.

i'll put it another way there is a forum on here (there are probably a few) with gallows/sick/strange jokes

so you can tell jokes about other races about peadophiles about whatever you want

BUT

you can't make fun of spefic people , you cant for example go into the realationship forum quotye some girl who put on 5 stone in the last years and pretend to answer her saying i donno; no wonder yer fella s shagging around he signed up for pussy and got hippo.

those garda were joking about spefic females in their custody which means there care

its not ok !
    People say things and make jokes about other people behind their back all the time. Get over yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

2wsxcde3 wrote: »
    People say things and make jokes about other people behind their back all the time. Get over yourself.

sorry gaurd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

I dont know which I despise more..sensationalist media or poxy crusties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

BigDuffman wrote: »
    I dont know which I despise more..sensationalist media or poxy crusties.

poxy crusties for me...the lot of them should be raped arrested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

gman2k wrote: »
    And how is a person who has suffered rape meant to feel?
    Supposing their local Garda station is the one in question....how would that person feel? walking in there knowing that some Gardai think it's funny talking about raping women.

But have no fear, there will be nothing done against these 'Guardians of the Peace', technicalities will be found, the Garda Union will object, evidence deemed in-admissable etc etc etc etc

Well obviously the people who released the tape don't have a problem with it. They released the recording regardless of how a victimwould feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Bombbastic22

I think this recording is a pathetic piece of sensationalism that in my opinion greatly diminishes, rather than promotes the shell to sea campaign. I can understand being outraged at exploitation of our country and its people by the unscrupulous by oil companies for the benefits of those abroad but I really don't understand the whole thing of not piping it through our land and am inclined to think the whole "to sea" part of it is merely a matter of personal greed rather than worrying about environmental issues, but hey, maybe I'm wrong. On the other hand a vast number of the protesters seem to be dope smoking layabouts and not far removed from what the guards called "Crusties" which I think also weakens the cause.

I really don't think the guards here did or said anything in any sort of malicious way - it was 30 seconds maybe of a near 40minute conversation.

I think people are far to pc these days. If anyone on the planet was recorded unknowingly I'm sure they would say something that would probably seem in bad taste or offend someone.

I think these guys would have a very strong case for suing various media for the way they were portrayed.

Also, I think it's very very low to be recording people like that and those women in the tapes sound like half crazed lunatics and far worse than the guards.

I know certain guards have been involved in certain attrocities - BUT this isn't one of them.

Nuff said.

Take them to the cleaners guards!! and sue the bejaysus of the media!

poxy crusties for me...the lot of them should be raped arrested.

hahahahahahahaha......watch it!! you never know what you'd catch!
    loling my ass off..

Good job no-one knows we're on the force eh biffo? WINK WINK. Those shell to sea f****rs would have even more publicity.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

silverharp wrote: »
    13.30 is the bit that made the news today

http://vimeo.com/21952231

the media have no other news so they have to milk this as much as possible.

the guards in question will probably have their careers ruined in order to satisfy.

maybe any man who makes an off the cuff remark to a friend about rape should be charged with the actual offence

Tigger wrote: »

and the spefic

BUT

its not ok !

did the guards actually say it to their faces? this is PC gone too far.

in all honesty the guards would have to be desperate for a ride to even consider raping one of them. I mean would you look at the state of the one making the complaint.

thebullkf wrote: »
    for all the defenders of the gardai....

take a look at todays 'Post of the day'.

when was the last time you laughed about anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I want to rape a gard.. Doggystyle.

I want to rape a gard.. Doggystyle.

and I would murder a pint, which shows I have intent to kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Fuinseog wrote: »
    and I would murder a pint, which shows I have intent to kill.

Will you be doing that in a vehicle?. Page 16 of " the idiots guide,how to be a gard" says, "question the subject and proceed with an investigation. My father farms sheep and dirty priests."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Will ya fook off, i've had plenty of banter with the lads, but never ever in my life have i heard banter about RAPING somebody. Ahh sure we rape your woman for the craic lads.

Ever watched Tommy Tiernan? One of his main jokes in his first dvd is about rape. Didn't hear anyone saying that Tommy Tiernan was the antichrist at the time. Doesn't make Tommy Tiernan a danger to anyone. It was a JOKE. A bad joke. But still a joke. It was inappropriate and bad taste and they should be repimanded but that is it. Any other action is ridiculous.

If this happened to somebody in Ballymun or any of the countless other deprived areas in Ireland it would not have been front page news. This case has gotten a hell of a lot more coverage than the Gardai in Dublin who allegedly beat up that guy and locked his mother in a bathroom! Why? Because those protesters don't care about the incident here all they want to do cause trouble and raise the profile of their 'cause'.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭IRISHREDSTAR

token101 wrote: »
    Ever watched Tommy Tiernan? One of his main jokes in his first dvd is about rape. Didn't hear anyone saying that Tommy Tiernan was the antichrist at the time. Doesn't make Tommy Tiernan a danger to anyone. It was a JOKE. A bad joke. But still a joke. It was inappropriate and bad taste and they should be repimanded but that is it. Any other action is ridiculous.

If this happened to somebody in Ballymun or any of the countless other deprived areas in Ireland it would not have been front page news. This case has gotten a hell of a lot more coverage than the Gardai in Dublin who allegedly beat up that guy and locked his mother in a bathroom! Why? Because those protesters don't care about the incident here all they want to do cause trouble and raise the profile of their 'cause'.

Just because tommy tiernan says something does not make it O.K. for gardai to think about rapeing someone, let alone say it. Whats next, would it be O.K. for Gardai to slag off children with down syndrome. I don't think the vast majority of prisoners in the joy would talk like this about any lady. Half the Gardai should be sacked -they do noting but cause crime.

Just because tommy tiernan says something does not make it O.K. for gardai to think about rapeing someone, let alone say it. Whats next, would it be O.K. for Gardai to slag off children with down syndrome. I don't think the vast majority of prisoners in the joy would talk like this about any lady. Half the Gardai should be sacked -they do noting but cause crime.

Eh, not sure what children with down syndrome have to do with this but it's not that they were thinking about raping anyone. It was just a slightly distasteful joke I think really, and one which was never intended for public broadcasting.

Have you never said anything in private that would embarass you or your family if it were aired all over the country or taken in the wrong context? I sincerely doubt there is a single person on the planet that could say they have never said anything a bit unsavoury.

I also don't think it's right to say that half the guards should be sacked either, we need police. Are some of them corrupt? No doubt. The fact is though that we need police and regardless of whether any of them are corrupt, it's a tough job and a lot of these guys face serious danger every day.

Are there some serious dick heads on power trips in the guards? Sure, I've come accross a few. There's no need to sack them all though. However, the structure of everything in the whole country including the guards and the health service needs to be completely restructed as it is incredibly mis-managed and inefficient......but that's a topic for another thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Eh, not sure what children with down syndrome have to do with this but it's not that they were thinking about raping anyone. It was just a slightly distasteful joke I think really, and one which was never intended for public broadcasting.

Have you never said anything in private that would embarass you or your family if it were aired all over the country or taken in the wrong context? I sincerely doubt there is a single person on the planet that could say they have never said anything a bit unsavoury.

I also don't think it's right to say that half the guards should be sacked either, we need police. Are some of them corrupt? No doubt. The fact is though that we need police and regardless of whether any of them are corrupt, it's a tough job and a lot of these guys face serious danger every day.

Are there some serious dick heads on power trips in the guards? Sure, I've come accross a few. There's no need to sack them all though. However, the structure of everything in the whole country including the guards and the health service needs to be completely restructed as it is incredibly mis-managed and inefficient......but that's a topic for another thread...
    I'm actually embarrassed for you. The post you refered to made a good point but you chose to be sarcastic.

I have asked the following questions a number of times already but I'll just assume you're like the rest and won't have the guts to answer them. Don't feel bad, people are often wrong, this time it's your turn.

1. If these particular guards were on the beat and overheard me and a friend joking about raping someone would they not pull us up on it? What would they do?

2. If my boss overheard me joking about raping someone would I not be taken to task?

Your attitude in condoning rape is disturbing because that's all some one who justifies what this scum did is doing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

MyKeyG wrote: »
    I have asked the following questions a number of times already but I'll just assume you're like the rest and won't have the guts to answer them. Don't feel bad, people are often wrong, this time it's your turn.
    MyKeyG wrote: »
    Your attitude in condoning rape is disturbing because that's all some one who justifies what this scum did is doing!

MyKeyG, I'm going to have to ask you not to post in this thread again. There's no room for this kind of incivility n this forum. If you have an issue with that, please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I don't think the vast majority of prisoners in the joy would talk like this about any lady.
    I talk about doing unspeakable things to women among my friends. All of the time. Just today I said that a girl would need vaginal reconstructive surgery when I was finished with her. Did I mean it? Of course not. Would I have done anything to harm this person? Of course not. Would I have liked to? Of course not. It was a joke.
    Half the Gardai should be sacked -they do noting but cause crime.
    Time for you to jog on son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭dar4

I talk about doing unspeakable things to women among my friends. All of the time. Just today I said that a girl would need vaginal reconstructive surgery when I was finished with her. Did I mean it? Of course not. Would I have done anything to harm this person? Of course not. Would I have liked to? Of course not. It was a joke.

Time for you to jog on son.

u jog on u sick **** for even thinking that ****

Mod note: User was banned for this.

dar4 wrote: »
    u jog on u sick **** for even thinking that ****

It was a joke! I thought I said that? I nor most people I know wouldn't find that offensive. Because it is a joke. It means nothing.
    Frankie Boyle made a joke about SMart's Mark Speight's suicide note. A man's final message before he ended his life. It was funny.
    Jimmy Carr made another joke in where he said he had to pretend to the child that his penis was an train that had to enter the tunnel (mouth). Never heard anything about that either.
    I don't see the problem, especially when your company knows it is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭dar4

It was a joke! I thought I said that? I nor most people I know wouldn't find that offensive. Because it is a joke. It means nothing.
    Frankie Boyle made a joke about SMart's Mark Speight's suicide note. A man's final message before he ended his life. It was funny.
    Jimmy Carr made another joke in where he said he had to pretend to the child that his penis was an train that had to enter the tunnel (mouth). Never heard anything about that either.
    I don't see the problem, especially when your company knows it is a joke.

i once saw roy chubby brown live and i walked out i didnt think his humour was funny nor the people that think that way or even luagh at it

dar4 wrote: »
    i once saw roy chubby brown live and i walked out i didnt think his humour was funny nor the people that think that way or even luagh at it

I never said it was for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Just because tommy tiernan says something does not make it O.K. for gardai to think about rapeing someone,
    Just because they make a joke about rape doesn't mean they are thinking about raping someone.

all men are potential rapists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Fuinseog wrote: »
    all men are potential rapists.

Only when there's a sexy woman about.

• Advertisement

Only when there's a sexy woman about.

thats inappropriate! A boards member should not make jokes of such things. maybe boards will be picketed for promoting rape. :)

BTW the South Dublin wan with the American accent was hardly what you would call sexy or maybe she got a turn on from being arrested by a man in uniform. if you listen to the start of the recording she was playing hard to get.

If a guard ever arrests me I will say he tried to rape me. easiest way to get off a charge.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement