Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filing taxes

• 05-04-2011 9:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick question. My wife is a US citizen who is resident in Ireland. She has work during the past year and I have been on social welfare. I was a US resident, but abandoned my status. We used file jointly.

Now, I just need to know what form we need to file and if we file jointly or she just files as she is the US citizen and I don't have any ties to US anymore?

Tried calling the London office, but couldn't get a hold of an operator.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

As tax day is looming, maybe you've gotten your answer already, but yes, your wife does need to file a US tax return - the foreign earned income exclusion is form 2555 if I remember correctly, plus the usual federal 1040. I'm not sure about your part but if you want to be resident in the US again in future (even if you're only thinking about doing it) I would err on the side of caution and file as well, assuming you have an SSN- you can do a joint return.

Advertisement