Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Corrib Tape

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Dudess wrote: »
    Plus, I don't believe the RCC wouldn't welcome men who have experienced sexual abuse - sorry, but many men themselves make it difficult for males who have experienced sexual abuse as adults, or even as just teenagers: "Shur you should be glad you got some, har har" if it's by a woman.

That is utter bollox. By and large, if a man has suffered something along those lines, he will have his friends as his only support network. The RCC wouldn't give a ****, I'd be fairly inclined to say that they'd even be wary of his story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

That poster that pah posted just goes to show how unreasonable these protesters are. The poster would suggest that the Gardai threatened the women with rape, where they did not.

Instead, the usual headbangers were delighted to have a stick with which to beat the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

discus wrote: »
    That is utter bollox. By and large, if a man has suffered something along those lines, he will have his friends as his only support network. The RCC wouldn't give a ****, I'd be fairly inclined to say that they'd even be wary of his story.
    You're saying a man would be just turned away from the Rape Crisis Centre? How in the hell would you know that? Dangerous assumption tbh - you think it's a good idea to spread the message that a man who has been sexually attacked should not bother going to a support service regarding it? I agree it's not promoted as a service for men, but that doesn't mean a man would not be welcomed. Around the time of the Ryan Report, plenty of men were contacting the Centre about their experiences of being abused in institutions when they were children/teenagers.
    It's not a deliberate policy of discrimination against men, it's a culture that does not encourage men to seek help following a domestic attack (especially by a woman) or a sexual assault - "the feminists" aren't solely responsible for this, and some men themselves don't exactly help it. The government sets aside **** all funding for men's support groups - I don't know why, probably because of the "Ah men will be all right" mindset still ingrained in the Irish psyche.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

pah wrote: »
    Is this poster a fair reflection of the 40 minute recording?

garda.png

TBH I think this better reflects the full conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

You're saying a man would be just turned away from the Rape Crisis Centre? How in the hell would you know that? Dangerous assumption tbh - you think it's a good idea to spread the message that a man who has been sexually attacked should not bother going to a support service regarding it? I agree it's not promoted as a service for men, but that doesn't mean a man would not be welcomed. Around the time of the Ryan Report, plenty of men were contacting the Centre about their experiences of being abused in institutions when they were children/teenagers.
    It's not a deliberate policy of discrimination against men, it's a culture that does not encourage men to seek help following a domestic attack (especially by a woman) or a sexual assault - "the feminists" aren't solely responsible for this, and some men themselves don't exactly help it. The government sets aside **** all funding for men's support groups - I don't know why, probably because of the "Ah men will be all right" mindset still ingrained in the Irish psyche.

I had cause to speak to one of their staff about a third party I was concerned for some years ago and the woman on the other end was very dismissive of me. I did not encourage the party to contact them, as I didn't feel they would be sympathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Vourney

I for one find the jokes offensive because I know for a fact that a large proportion of the population in Ireland, have no problem with rape and they don't see it as wrong. Anyone who doesn't know this is living in a fantasy world. Why do you think the priests had such a field day in Ireland over any other country?

And you can't teach these people otherwise. They don't have the ability to distinguish between rape and sex, to them it's all the same. Let me repeat that -- they don't have the ability to distinguish between rape and sex, they view it as the same thing. I've had people say this to me, and tell me clearly this is what they believe. Concepts such as "dignity" are foreign to people like this. People like that will never understand how qualities like respect and admiration could relate to attraction and normal relations between men and women. If you tried to talk to them about such things, you'll be greeting with a puzzled look of sheer confusion and frustration and anger over being exposed to ideas they are incapable of grasping. That's just how they are, they can't be otherwise, they can't "unlearn" this. This is reality, however politically incorrect it may seem. In an effort to try to assert their behavior and beliefs as acceptable, and compensate for their wounded pride, they will try to drag others down to their level.

That's why the laws are there, to protect normal people from these less evolved people. Yes, they are less evolved, how else could you word it? If you think that statement is offensive, then tell me how or why it isn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Vourney wrote: »
    I for one find the jokes offensive because I know for a fact that a large proportion of the population in Ireland, have no problem with rape and they don't see it as wrong. Anyone who doesn't know this is living in a fantasy world. Why do you think the priests had such a field day in Ireland over any other country?

And you can't teach these people otherwise. They don't have the ability to distinguish between rape and sex, to them it's all the same. Let me repeat that -- they don't have the ability to distinguish between rape and sex, they view it as the same thing. I've had people say this to me, and tell me clearly this is what they believe. Concepts such as "dignity" are foreign to people like this. People like that will never understand how qualities like respect and admiration could relate to attraction and normal relations between men and women. If you tried to talk to them about such things, you'll be greeting with a puzzled look of sheer confusion and frustration and anger over being exposed to ideas they are incapable of grasping. That's just how they are, they can't be otherwise, they can't "unlearn" this. This is reality, however politically incorrect it may seem. In an effort to try to assert their behavior and beliefs as acceptable, and compensate for their wounded pride, they will try to drag others down to their level.

That's why the laws are there, to protect normal people from these less evolved people. Yes, they are less evolved, how else could you word it? If you think that statement is offensive, then tell me how or why it isn't true.

That is the biggest load of claptrap I have ever read.

That's because you know it's true. I personally know of many Irish people who view rape very casually and no big deal. Just because you live in a bubble doesn't mean these people don't exist. You're probably the typical airhead Irish male who loves to say "Ah sure, it's all grand" and "I try not to take life too seriously". All the expressions and mindsets designed to keep you immature and living in your fantasy land. Along with a healthy dose of alcoholism, necessary to keep reality at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

That's because you know it's true. I personally know of many Irish people who view rape very casually and no big deal. Just because you live in a bubble doesn't mean these people don't exist. You're probably the typical airhead Irish male who loves to say "Ah sure, it's all grand" and "I try not to take life too seriously". All the expressions and mindsets designed to keep you immature and living in your fantasy land. Along with a healthy dose of alcoholism, necessary to keep reality at bay.

At first I thought you were serious, but now I see that you're just flaming, looking for a fight....Post reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

+1 more claptrap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I personally know of many Irish people who view rape very casually

Jeans wearers are they?

mikom wrote: »
    Jeans wearers are they?

What does that mean?

foinse wrote: »
    At first I thought you were serious, but now I see that you're just flaming, looking for a fight....Post reported.

No, that is an accurate statement of my experience. I do know a lot of Irish people who view rape as normal. This is my experience. I'm sorry if that upsets you, but that is an accurate statement about my experience with Irish people. I'm just stating what I know and what I've experienced.

So you don't like what I'm saying, so you go run and tell teacher.

What does that mean?

It means "whoosh".

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I do know a lot of Irish people who view rape as normal. This is my experience.
    I've lived in Ireland for forty years. I've never met anyone who viewed rape as normal. I call bull.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I've lived in Ireland for forty years. I've never met anyone who viewed rape as normal. I call bull.

You can call anything you want to, I know what I've experienced, and what people have said to me. I'm just telling the truth of what I have experienced.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm just telling the truth of what I have experienced.
    I doubt it.

You can call anything you want to, I know what I've experienced, and what people have said to me. I'm just telling the truth of what I have experienced.

I reckon I meet more Irish in a week then you would in a year.
    Who would have a better feeling for Irish attitudes to rape....... you?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I don't know what people you associated with when here, I really don't.

Does the US not have the same problem or is it just here?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I doubt it.

Of course you do. Have another drink and forget you ever heard me say this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

Were you by any chancing hanging out with a group of rapists when when they expressed these opinions ???

I reckon I meet more Irish in a week then you would in a year.
    Who would have a better feeling for Irish attitudes to rape....... you?

Your avatar says it all.

What about that rapist out in Kerry, with half the community coming out to support him, and the priest as well. That's not real? That didn't happen?

Your avatar says it all.
    You're only scratching the surface Vourney lass.

Judging by your posts it sounds like you have more issues with alcohol then the Irish you are giving the sly drink digs to.

You're only scratching the surface Vourney lass.

Judging by your posts it sounds like you have more issues with alcohol then the Irish you are giving the sly drink digs to.

I have no idea what you mean by the first statement. I don't understand it.

The second statement is incorrect. I don't have any addiction issues.

More likely You're just trying to agitate me.

I know I'm have the right to speak honestly about what I've experienced, regardless of being called a liar or having to withstand the various character assasinations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

Im not a guard yet and ive heard some may have a warped sense of humour but I think this could of been a way the guards deal with what they see everyday. Joke about it. I know its kinda wierd but it was in private. However they were caught and probably only deserve a slap on the wrist because when they got home that night (Espiecally the seargent who is married with two kids) whatever happend then is enough abuse for anyone!My opinion it was a private joke between 5 guards who are probably buddies and they should not be roasted for it!

However then theres the case of what if they had been talking about someone you loved? Does the good the guards do outway the bad comments made?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭nutts_77

Would you care to outline some of these "experiences" ??

The second statement is incorrect. I don't have any addiction issues.

Less addiction, and more about the way in which you used alcohol as a club to beat other posters.
    You're probably the typical airhead Irish male who loves to say "Ah sure, it's all grand" and "I try not to take life too seriously". All the expressions and mindsets designed to keep you immature and living in your fantasy land. Along with a healthy dose of alcoholism, necessary to keep reality at bay.
    Have another drink and forget you ever heard me say this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

No I don't think a man would be turned away. I do think that he'd undergo a lot more scrutiny than a woman though. It's not a message I portray, it's what a lot of men think about it.

No, because men don't speak up right now. Castration jokes are fine, but rape jokes aren't. Airlines don't let single men sit beside kids, but women are fine. Getting a divorce - enjoy 4 hours of supervised custody a week if you're a man. Thank you feminism, for creating equals of us all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Mod Note

This thread is about the private conversation of Gardai that was subsequently recorded.

Please keep it on topic.

Vourney you have been infracted for insulting other posters, if you wish to continue to contribute here keep it civil and on topic or you will be banned from the forum

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement