Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help with nature locations

• 05-04-2011 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi!

I´m from Sweden, so please excuse my somewhat bad grammar and spelling! :)

I am in the early preparations of writing a book, and I´ve just decided to use Ireland as an inspiration source regarding the environment. I feel I need to visit to experience the nature first hand and take pictures, notes ect. The problem is - I have no idea on where to go and don´t want to come to Ireland totally clueless.

Can anyone please give me some examples of nature locations to visit? I need to experience a thick forest (would be great with some streams or brooks) and other woodland places. I´ve seen pictures of irish forests that looks like straight from a medieval tale. :) I also read somewhere that Ireland has bogs??? Perhaps some old ruins?

I do not have a drivers license, so unfortunately I will not be driving :(

I would be SO thankful if anyone can help me out. Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

i cant speak for everybody or everywhere but i would think that a lack of a driving license would halt your exploration, especially down the country.

public transport does not exist outside of major cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

If you are basing in Dublin, you have access to places like Glendalough in Wicklow (http://www.glendalough.ie/), which is accessable by bus transport, it is rich in wildlife, lakes, mountains, forests, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

For forest, I'd consider Killarney National Park It is within cycling/walking distance from Killarney town, though I expect it'd be easy to get a lift.

Bogs are widespread. Read this for a start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

Glengarriff in Co. Cork. would be a good spot.Ten minutes walk to a broad leaved forest. Plenty of streams there too. Lots of old ruins of houses there going back to the 1800s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

thebishop wrote: »
    Glengarriff in Co. Cork. would be a good spot.Ten minutes walk to a broad leaved forest. Plenty of streams there too. Lots of old ruins of houses there going back to the 1800s.
    This is a good suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Come to Mayo, in the West.
    Get the train from Dublin to Castlebar and I will show you huge bogs, mountains, cliffs and more.
    We have the largest intact blanket bog, drained by rivers that have not been artificially planted with trees. This is superb.
    But we have almost no native broad leaved forests - just huge non-native conifer plantations.
    Send me a private message (PM).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Guagán Barra in West Cork is absolutely beautiful. Lake, forest, streams - an amazing place. Places like Killarney are nice, but they have become too touristy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Gardener3

The Burren in Co. Clare - a very special area with limestone pavements, a stunning flora including rarities not found elsewhere in Ireland, Hazel woods with 'western oceanic' lichens .........

http://www.burrennationalpark.ie/
    http://www.burrenbeo.com/

Advertisement