Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with dog for 2 weeks

• 05-04-2011 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭

We are going away for 3 weeks during the summer for our wedding and had thought about taking our labrador with us and driving but price and more so distance has ruled this out. For the 1st week were gone OHs sister & brother will look after her but for the 2nd & 3rd week were not sure. We are looking at 3 options but arent sure what to do and appreciate some feedback.

1)We asked people we know if they would take the dog for two weeks which they will but she will probably have to live outside in their garden (she lives inside at home)

2) Putting her in kennels but dont know anywhere nearby and dont know if I like the thought of her been locked in a small space all day and have heard dogs can come out kennels sick

3) Friend knows a dog walker who will come to ours 3 times a day and walk her and feed her and she will be left in her own home

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

neris wrote: »
    3) Friend knows a dog walker who will come to ours 3 times a day and walk her and feed her and she will be left in her own home
    Best option and the one id pick if i could afford it for the whole 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Jackob

I dont know where you live but I would recommend the canine country club in Kildare. Mick the owner runs the place really well. I left my boxer there many a time. Once when I came to take her home she greeted me with lots of wiggles and kisses and then jumped in the passenger seat, back out the drivers door and went back into the kennels:eek::eek:. She was quite happy for me to visit but I could go now!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I really would suggest you find a good kennels and leave her there. Its safer and at least someone will be checking her very regularly.
    I wouldnt risk leaving her in your house for 3 weeks with only a dog walker seeing to her, i just wouldnt do it.
    Its far too long to leave a dog on its own, would be different if it was only for a couple of days but not for 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

If someone can give you a recommendation for good, reputable kennels, maybe you and your dog could go there for a look and see how you would feel about leaving your dog there. That is what we did with our dog. And closer to the time of his 'holiday' we left him at the kennel for one night, just so he was used to it and knew that we were going to collect him! He has been going to the same kennels for almost 12 years now, and even if we have to get in contact with them and give them short notice due to something coming up, they are great, and always take him in. It helps that they have the same breed themselves (Cocker Spaniel) so they are good with keeping his ears clean, brusing him every day. He even has a bed especially for his 'holidays' and one he has a few of his toys with him, there isnt any problems with him.

Best of luck. The first time is tough, but at least you will have peace of mind that your pet is in a safe and secure environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

Neris,

Where are you located ?

My dog nanny/walker keeps the dog in her kitchen at night. she's is brilliant.

She is in Meath.

• Advertisement
Advertisement