Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protective Gear Poll

• 05-04-2011 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

Dont know if this has been done here before.If it has'nt,thought it would be a good idea to see what protection people on here afford themselves.

Which of these options best describes how much protective gear you wear? 23 votes

Helmet only
    0%
    Helmet and gloves
    0%
    Helmet and jacket
    0%
    Helmet,jacket and gloves
    0%
    Helmet,jacket and boots
    39%
    peckerheadlord lucanXiosLuckycharmhoneybadgermuller25Flyin IrishmanAgileMythPredator_ 9 votes
    Helmet,jacket,gloves and boots
    8%
    seanybikercantdecide 2 votes
    Helmet,jacket,pants and gloves
    34%
    deise69PaparazzoKeith186Dutch_DruidJackasaurus rexphoenix0250PaudyWGalwaybiker 8 votes
    Helmet,jacket,pants,gloves and boots
    17%
    AlkersMagown3NeonjackHellsAngel 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I use ATGATT.
    All The Gear All The Time.
    Seen too much skin and bone lost on others to want to see it on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Helmet jacket pants and boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I would have been a helmet, jacket, gloves guy all along. Having had a very serious crash very recently, I'm switching over to ATGATT. I still have my owwies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Know two people who will always regret not wearing full gear, not going to make that mistake myself.

Bones and muscle can heal, skin doesn't grow back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Full gear plus Back protector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭defiant12

Should you not include something relating to the frequency with which gear is worn?
    I'm an ATGATT man for long spins but not always on my short commute...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

defiant12 wrote: »
    Should you not include something relating to the frequency with which gear is worn?
    I'm an ATGATT man for long spins but not always on my short commute...
    I think you've just answered your own question there.ATGATT means ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME!!!
    The whole point to this poll was to maybe get people to review how they protect(or dont) themselves.Personally, i have a reasonably short journey to work,short as in it probably takes me as long to get suited and booted as it does to complete the journey,but none the less,I dont compromise my safety by omitting some of my gear. You could just as easily have an accident going down the road to the local shop as on a long journey.

cantdecide wrote: »
    I would have been a helmet, jacket, gloves guy all along. Having had a very serious crash very recently, I'm switching over to ATGATT. I still have my owwies.
    Begs the question,Would you have had as many "owwies" if you had to be fully kitted out? Sorry to hear about your accident btw,hope all is going well.:)

seanybiker wrote: »
    Helmet jacket pants and boots.
    No gloves??? Jesus,you must have hands of steel:D:D:D Only joking,but how come all the gear except gloves?

Every inch of the gear I had on, I put to good use. If I wasn't wearing the gear I would have been pushing up daisies without a doubt.

If I'd had proper pants, I wouldn't have a scab the size of a saucer on my knee. If I'd worn my boots, I wouldn't have another bad scab on either ankle :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Helmet,jacket,pants and gloves
    Wear helmet gloves jacket and boots all the time.

Pants vary between Lidl's finest and supposedly waterproof pants with no protection.

I can't take the lidl pants off over the boots so don't like wearing them too often. If the weather is bad I'd always wear full gear.

My boots are just waterproof hiking boots and wouldn't give full protection like dedicated biking boots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Shark lid, two piece leathers, MotoX boots and gloves.

Will probably sub out the leather pants for armoured spins for shorter spins during the summer.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    ...Shark lid...

And where was my Shark lid? At home on the shelf with ANOTHER broken visor. I was wearing a sub €100 Nitro helmet when I crashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I tend to wear textile armoured trousers most of the time and kevlar jeans in hotter weather. On top I wear an airflow jacket and put a fleece over it if it is cold or a goretex jacket if it is wet. Proper gloves and boots all the time.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

No gloves??? Jesus,you must have hands of steel:D:D:D Only joking,but how come all the gear except gloves?

Yeah - doesn't make sense as if you were to drop, I'd say the hands would be one of the first things to hit the tarmac... natural reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

poll lacks options
    mostly
    i wear knox back + kidney protector
    ce elbow armour
    ce shoulder armour
    ce knee armour
    sidi road boots and gloves
    decent gloves

although i wear boartd shorts a hoodie runners and a lid if i'm just going to the shops in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I had this discussion with a new biker just last week.
    He rode in with full gear, Helmet,jacket, pants, boots and gloves, needed to take a short spin up the road and started to walk out the door wearing a t-shirt jeans and crocs with his helmet on!
    I told him that ATGATT means just that and at the very least he should wear boots and a jacket. He did put a jacket on in fairness and some boots, took him around 30 seconds extra.
    I am not sure why people have these brain farts and decide to ride in flipflops or a t-shirt.
    Maybe they haven't seen what happens when skin meets tarmac at speed or your leg gets stuck under a bikes exhaust.
    You don't have to be speeding for bad things to happen, I like my Sidi Flexforce boots for this reason, hard to find more protective boots IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

all, plus back protector

dont feel right without it

Tigger wrote: »
    poll lacks options
    mostly
    i wear knox back + kidney protector
    ce elbow armour
    ce shoulder armour
    ce knee armour
    sidi road boots and gloves
    decent gloves

although i wear boartd shorts a hoodie runners and a lid if i'm just going to the shops in the summer
    Poll lacks options??? Do tell !! I thought it was straightforward,no?
    PS My jacket has back,elbow and shoulder armour,my pants has knee and hip armour.I took these as givens when I put up this PROTECTIVE GEAR Poll:D
    PPS I see you didnt vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Just invested in a full Goretex leather suit, other than that its boots, gloves and helmet all the time.

• Advertisement

Years ago, I saw an oulfella on a Honda 50 with a long black coat and a construction hard hat. I often chuckled about him whenever the issue of bike gear cropped up.

By sheer co-inckydink, I just saw him again in Bishopstown an hour ago with the same coat and lid !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Helmet,jacket and boots
    Usually just gloves, helmet and jacket. I know I should be wearing bike trousers and boots but its annoying wearing/lugging them around college for eight hours a day.
    Wish they'd put some decent sized lockers in the place.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Usually just gloves, helmet and jacket. I know I should be wearing bike trousers and boots but its annoying wearing/lugging them around college for eight hours a day.
    Wish they'd put some decent sized lockers in the place.
    Wouldnt it be better being annoyed than facing into skin grafts:confused::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Helmet,jacket and boots
    Knew that'd be the first reply. No, obviously not, I consider it a calculated risk!

Edit: That was meant as a joke btw:D

Wouldnt it be better being annoyed than facing into skin grafts:confused::(

I always felt that people who don't wear full gear don't realise the ease in which you can lose enough skin to get a graft and the sheer horror of grafted skin. Doesn't matter if its a 1400cc sports bike or a 50cc moped.

To put things in perspective, my friend was hit at around 30kph. Hit on the left hand side, shattered his left hip and leg and then sent him flying. He landed again on the left side and slid about thirty feet. Lost muscle in his calf and foot to the skid, lost most of the skin along his shin and ankle. He has to moisturise the skin grafted on daily to stop it tightening. He checks it constantly as he has to make sure it doesn't break open. With no nerve endings he can't tell if it does break and it can happen so easily because the grafted skin isn't the correct toughness for use in that area.

He will never run again and has trouble walking. This is due to the muscle loss of the skid and the grafts. Not the breaking of the bones. Has had five visits to the hospital in as many years because of complications or infections. The insurance payout doesn't justify the complete loss of quality of life.

I would never bother even "popping" out to the shops without full gear as the effort involved in putting it on is minimal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

When i started riding ..:rolleyes:..a lot of guys (self included) just wore a helmet, gloves and a wax cotton (Barber or Belstaff) jacket , sometimes boots, unless you were going to Mc Gonagals for a bop when you'd wear your Doc's.....:)..a leather jacket was a luxury until affordable ones came along..usually Toner...
    Back then it was all about protecting yourself from the elements..
    When did it all change.....:confused:....maybe we were REAL bikers back then.............:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Just don't like them at all. Can be cold in the winter alright but I don't mind that.

Just don't like them at all. Can be cold in the winter alright but I don't mind that.

You must have some set of balls on you. I can't even pick up ice without crying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

Helmet,jacket,pants,gloves and boots
    Interesting. I'm the only so far who voted lid, jacket, gloves, pants but no boots.

BTW, jacket and pants are leather, no Gore Tex. Why ? Firstly I think it looks cooler :o:p And it's been proven leather is safer. As for boots, just wear a cheap steel toe capped boot, the kind buliders use, does the business for me anyway.

One important thing about the pants that I have found time and time again, is that they have good knee protectors. Would have wrecked my knees more than a few times without them.

• Advertisement

Wont argue with that,but as another poster put it,if you go to the bother of protecting everything else,why not the two things that you are most likely to instinctively put out to break your fall if you should have one.Just strange is all.I'd rather to not like the feel of gloves on my hands than to not having skin on my hands to feel them:eek:

Advertisement