Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time Lease

Options
  • 05-04-2011 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi guys

Just looking for some help..moving in with my boyfriend,it will be the first time we both have our names on a lease as before this we were just renting rooms in houses so I am basically looking for some advice on the following:

• The house we are looking is a minimum of a 1 year lease but we are unsure as to whether we should sign this or try and get a shorter period of maybe 6 months in case the area isnt good etc etc
    • Should we put both our names on the lease is there any benefit to this?
    • Are Landlords open to negotiation on Rent for example the house is fully furnished etc but doesn't have a dryer or curtins on the windows just blinds could we try and negotiate that we get these things for the rent rather than trying to bring down the monthly rent?

Apologies if these sound like stupid questions but as this is our first time we are unsure of what to expect and what the dos and don'ts of renting are so any advice would be greatly appreciated ! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

A lot of landlords will ask for higher rents for a shorter lease than 1 year. Could you ask around about the area etc before moving there? I know a place I tried this for wanted an extra €200 per month for a shorter lease, needless to say I went with a year.

I personally would put both names on the lease. Anybody paying rent/living there should have their name on the lease in order to be entitled to their legal rights. If your name is not on the lease, then you arent officially a tenant of the property afaik. Are there any benefits to NOT having your name on the lease? This would lay the sole responsibility of the rental agreement on your boyfriend.

The asking price of rent on daft for example can usually be negotiated. Landlords usually allow for this and add an extra bit onto the asking price compared to what they think they are going to get. But if you feel you want something additional such as a dryer or curtains for the asking price, you can definatley try and negotiate this. However make sure to do it BEFORE you sign the lease, because after you have signed it you have agreed to pay X amount of rent for the place as it is (ie without curtains/dryer)

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ascuteasabutton

Thanks very much for that, I didn't realise that they could look for more money for a shorter lease, I will keep that in mind!

Also it is advertised on Daft for €550 per month so I reckon we could get it down to €500 with a little negotiation!! :D

Advertisement