Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do/making friends in Arklow

• 05-04-2011 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hello,

I moved to Arklow a few months ago from the UK and am working down in Wexford. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of things to do in Arklow - clubs to join etc.

Thanks

Sarah

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

There is Avondale Musical Society. I think they will have a show on at Easter. I think I have seen posters about a book club in the library. Depending on what sort of thing interest you , you may need to go to Gorey or Wicklow. Hope you find something that interests you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

sarah45121 wrote: »
    Hello,

I moved to Arklow a few months ago from the UK and am working down in Wexford. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of things to do in Arklow - clubs to join etc.

Thanks

Sarah

No idea of what you like to do but you could check out arklow.ie and there is a clubs/socities page with links

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sarah45121

bisset wrote: »
    There is Avondale Musical Society. I think they will have a show on at Easter. I think I have seen posters about a book club in the library. Depending on what sort of thing interest you , you may need to go to Gorey or Wicklow. Hope you find something that interests you.

Thanks, have had a look at Avondale and will maybe give it a go. Will look into the book club. I did have a look on Arklow.ie but there wasn't really much there (am not big on anything to do with the sea). Was really hoping there was a bigger music scene but have never lived in a town before so didn't really know what to expect when I moved over!

Thanks again for your suggestions, might have a look at what's on in Gorey!

Sarah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

What sort of music Sarah? There is a thriving music culture in Arklow, particularly amongst teenagers. The Youth Cafe are starting acoustic and new band sessions, you could volunteer there in the evenings?

The Gin Mill has good bands at the weekends.
    Masquerade Drama Society are always looking for members.

What about sport?

(Its not Avondale, its Avonmore Music Society)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sarah45121

What sort of music Sarah? There is a thriving music culture in Arklow, particularly amongst teenagers. The Youth Cafe are starting acoustic and new band sessions, you could volunteer there in the evenings?

The Gin Mill has good bands at the weekends.
    Masquerade Drama Society are always looking for members.

What about sport?

(Its not Avondale, its Avonmore Music Society)

Hi StillWaters,

Would say my music taste is pretty ecletic, am into a bit of everything. Am looking into the Youth Cafe thing as would definitely be up for volunteering.

As for sports I play squash but that's about it, can't seem to find details of any squash clubs here.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Sarah

• Advertisement

Theres 2 squash courts out at Arklow RFC so you might ask there?
    Afaik there is a club in the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

sarah45121 wrote: »
    Hi StillWaters,

Would say my music taste is pretty ecletic, am into a bit of everything. Am looking into the Youth Cafe thing as would definitely be up for volunteering.

As for sports I play squash but that's about it, can't seem to find details of any squash clubs here.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Sarah

There's a Thin Lizzy Tribute night on 13th May in the Arklow Bay
    they run it every couple of years it is pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tradtshirt

Hi there

Welcome to the area.

There is a local branch of an organisation called Cairde le Cheile (Irish for 'friends together' I think).

Every year they have a showcase weekend for all the Clubs, Societies, Music and Cultural groups in Arklow. This is usually held around mid/end May in and around the Sports Centre on at the North Beach.

One of the key aims of the showcase weekend is to help people who have moved to the area settle in.
    Theres usually one day for the clubs, another for cultural groups (with free food and music)

I'm not involved with cairde le cheile, so don't know exact dates and a quick Google didn't find anything for 2011. I'd say keep an eye out for posters etc

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 georga

hey does the cairde le cheile include young adults also ?? :) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Chief_Jack

Welcome to Arklow!

Your best bet would be just to try all different type of things. There are numerous clubs throughout the town depending on your interests and I suppose your age. Just try all the things you can and see what you take to. People in most of the clubs are friendly enough from my own experience. You could try Martina Lynch's zumba classes, my sister was in it and enjoyed it a lot. She was also in Avonmore Musical Society and they seems like quite a nice gang who are all friends and welcoming too.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement