Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internship...but no money??

Options
  • 05-04-2011 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there,
    Was wondering if someone could help or advise me on this issue I have..
    I was on Jobseekers Allowance for one year until last September '10. Then I decided to do a Masters in Limerick, as I was getting no work and it was an area I was interested in.
    I am finished in April, and will write my thesis/dissertation next year to be submitted in June 2012. After April, there is no formal lectures and no need to travel to Limerick (as I'm living in Carlow), all work is self directed but I will still be considered a student by the college as I'm in the process of doing the thesis.
    As the area I'm studying in is in History of Art, I've been offered an internship in the best known gallery in Dublin, and I really want to do it for the 6 months duration, but its completely voluntary and not registered with FAS. I know the experience would be great, but I'm just so worried about how to fund my travel expenses and how ill live if I take it.
    I feel like im caught in a catch 22. I'm getting the county council student grant, the last installment this week - I'm not sure if i even get it for next year seeing as im not in college technically.
    Has anyone any ideas about how ill survive money wise if i do the intern? its full time 6 months. I plan to write the thesis when I finish the internship, which would be in October.
    Or has anyone been in this kinda situation before and what did you do??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

OP i am going to move your thread to student finances. You will probably get more help there.
    While you are on an internship, you cannot claim Jobseekers as you are not seen as being available for work while already working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Strong possibility you can claim while doing your thesis on your own time but you need to check with SW.

(d) Students completing theses/projects:

The legislation provides for disqualification while attending a full-time day course of study. Third level students who have completed final examinations but are completing theses or projects cannot be regarded as still attending a full-time day course of study and, therefore, cannot be disqualified under this provision. Entitlement may, however, be considered under the availability condition, - Section 141 (4)(c) depending on the degree of commitment to the project/thesis.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/ja_jobseekall.aspx

Maybe if the Gallery registers with this lot, Irish Business and Employers Confideration (see below) you could hold on to your jobseekers payment provided you will have been in receipt of it for 3 months before the internship starts. The Gallery should register - they can't expect you to stay and live in Dublin on fresh air. Others on this site may know of other rules etc., regarding internships and retaining payments.

Is the graduate receiving social welfare payments? If so has the graduate been receiving social welfare payments for at least 3 months?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:rmLI8iocENEJ:www.ibec.ie/Sectors/GIP/GradLink.nsf/vPages/Employers~internship-step-by-step-guide%3FOpenDocument+internship+and+social+welfare&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie&source=www.google.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4 linds1985

See I'm not in receipt of a payment at the moment, as I'm considered a student and I guess it's my choice that I do this internship. Ughhh, the stress...

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fox McCloud

Is there anyway of getting a bar/waiting job in your home town at the weekends? Thats how I hope to fund any internship I get!

Advertisement