Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Highland terriers

• 05-04-2011 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

We are thinking about buying 1 or possibly two westies, as we finally have a biggish garden and we think it would be lovely for the two children, although I remember them being more like extra children! Can anyone recommend where i would start with this? There seem to be plenty of dogs for sale but I have no way of knowing the quality of the breeders etc. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I wouldn't really recommend getting Westies if you have young kids as they tend to be less tolerant than other breeds.

I think Westie Rescue won't rehome to people with kids under 10 so I'd use that as a guideline.

If your kids are old enough and you're going down the breeder route then research the breed, contact the IKC and make sure you do your research on how to buy a good puppy and how to identify a good breeder.

Then only get one at a time as two will bond to each other and be much harder to train.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The only dog that ever bit me aggressively was a Westie--snappy little fooker.

Would definately not recommend one around kids.

Advertisement