Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi "Irish" Cheddar and Kerry Group "Charleville" Cheese

• 05-04-2011 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Aldi -

Can anyone please advise how they can sell their "Ardagh Irish Cheddar" cheese when it has a "UK" stamp on the back of the packaging?

Kerry Group -

Everyone already knows that Charleville cheese from Kerry Group is stamped with a "UK" stamp also, so probably doesn't come from anywhere near Charleville.

:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It could be made in the North - which means that it is still Irish, yet bears a UK stamp of origin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Should that not then be "Ardagh Northern Irish" cheddar, if this is true it seems to me it suits the farmers/producers up north to call it UK when it suits them and Irish when it suits them also.

As for Kerry Group calling cheese Charleville thats stamped as "UK", to me it's a bit misleading is all. I was always under he impression that Charleville cheese was Irish until recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

vicwatson wrote: »
    Should that not then be "Ardagh Northern Irish" cheddar, if this is true it seems to me it suits the farmers/producers up north to call it UK when it suits them and Irish when it suits them also.

As for Kerry Group calling cheese Charleville thats stamped as "UK", to me it's a bit misleading is all. I was always under he impression that Charleville cheese was Irish until recently.

They sell Kerrygold Irish Butter in Germany thats made in Germany.

Should they start calling it Nordrhein-Westfalen Irish Style butter ?

Or maybe have Chinese Style Irish Restaurants ?

The symbol on the back you are referring to is the EU requirement to trace origin.

They sell Kerrygold Irish Butter in Germany thats made in Germany.

I'll bet it doesn't have an IE stamp on the back of it though:rolleyes:

Is it sold as Kerrygold IRISH butter in Germany or just Kerrygold?
    The symbol on the back you are referring to is the EU requirement to trace origin.

I understand that.

The point is about impressions - The Irish Smoked Salmon and Smoked Irish Salmon example comes to mind.

When people see Ardagh Irish Cheddar they expect it to be just that - Irish

When people see Charleville I think they expect that cheese to be from Cork, not Canterbury or Cornwall or wherever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

When people see Ardagh Irish Cheddar they expect it to be just that - Irish

I would expect Cheddar to be from the Somerset village of Cheddar. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Food & Drink

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

It won an award (Irish) so I assume it is Irish http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/product_range/14695.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Hi,

Aldi -

Can anyone please advise how they can sell their "Ardagh Irish Cheddar" cheese when it has a "UK" stamp on the back of the packaging?

Kerry Group -

Everyone already knows that Charleville cheese from Kerry Group is stamped with a "UK" stamp also, so probably doesn't come from anywhere near Charleville.

:confused::confused::confused:
    answer to both questions is that its the stamp of the end packaging plant, NOT the place where it was manufactured originally.

you can be assured that Kerrygold stuff IS all of Irish origin as the brand is 100% owned by the dairy cooperatives of ireland, which themselves are owned lock stock and barel by the farmers.
    The POINT behind kerrygold is to provide a value added outlet for IRISH dairy produce, for the Irish coops and in turn the Irish farmers.
    Selling on german or british or other foreign produce would completely defeat this aim!

I cant say anything for the Aldi cheese, but the lidl cheese is packed by "Adams foods" in Leeks, Staffs, which is the Kerrygold packing plant in England. So has a UK packing sticker but is Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

answer to both questions is that its the stamp of the end packaging plant, NOT the place where it was manufactured originally.

you can be assured that Kerrygold stuff IS all of Irish origin as the brand is 100% owned by the dairy cooperatives of ireland, which themselves are owned lock stock and barel by the farmers.
    The POINT behind kerrygold is to provide a value added outlet for IRISH dairy produce, for the Irish coops and in turn the Irish farmers.
    Selling on german or british or other foreign produce would completely defeat this aim!

I cant say anything for the Aldi cheese, but the lidl cheese is packed by "Adams foods" in Leeks, Staffs, which is the Kerrygold packing plant in England. So has a UK packing sticker but is Irish.

So what you're saying is that Irish farmers are getting paid for their milk but the factory work is being given to UK workers?

Why is it shipped over there, only to be packaged and then shipped back here? Does it really save money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

kraggy wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that Irish farmers are getting paid for their milk but the factory work is being given to UK workers?

Why is it shipped over there, only to be packaged and then shipped back here? Does it really save money?

Well it must!

I was watching a show, can't remember the name of it, with Jay Rayner there a while back. He was talking about cheese, and basically all of the cheddar sold in UK supermarkets is made in Ireland. Shipped in large blocks & huge quantities over to the UK to be packaged.

• Advertisement

I guess what I need to know is what EXACTLY does the stamp on the product indicate, doe it indicate where it is packed or where the actual product is from?

I assume it should be where the product is from i.e. it's origin but....open to correction.
    It won an award (Irish) so I assume it is Irish http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/product_range/14695.htm

I don't see it on the list however if it is Irish why then does it have a "UK" stamp on the back ?

answer to both questions is that its the stamp of the end packaging plant, NOT the place where it was manufactured originally

Top of the class !

FSAI confirm it's not the place of manufacture rather the packaging plant.

In the case of the Aldi cheddar I referred to it's packed in leek in England (Kerry Foods).

So it seems as though Aldi Ardagh Cheddar and Charleville is being sent to England to be packed (they have the same identity number) !! What the !!

Can we not pack that here and create some jobs !?

Can we not have it that it must state country of origin for the product and not where it was packed?

Crazy little country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Can we not pack that here and create some jobs !?
    THat would cost more money, obviously, which would therefore mean price has to increase, causing sales to drop, which in turn would results in a lower demand for irish milk, and also a layoffs of existing staff.

So it would prob do more harm tbh.
    Can we not have it that it must state country of origin for the product and not where it was packed?

Crazy little country
    It's nothign to do with our country, its an EU requirement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Should that not then be "Ardagh Northern Irish" cheddar
    Wouldn't that be the name of the product, as opposed to the point of origin of the product?

THat would cost more money, obviously

Why obviously ??
    It's nothign to do with our country, its an EU requirement

Are we not part of the EU and do we not have a voice in the EU ? I am talking about an identity marking showing where the origin of the product is and not where it was simply packed.
    Wouldn't that be the name of the product, as opposed to the point of origin of the product?

My post was in reply to post number 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Why obviously ??
    Becasue they are hardly getting it packaged in the UK for the laugh. If it was cheap to do it here I imagine they would.
    Are we not part of the EU and do we not have a voice in the EU ? I am talking about an identity marking showing where the origin of the product is and not where it was simply packed.
    You said "silly little country". I was point out that its the EU that made the rule.

And us having a voice in the EU isn't relevant, if we wanted to bring in a rule that requires country of origin to be printed, we could. I don't see the point of it tbh, it doesn't bother me really.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sig53

Don't buy it. Its loaded with salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sig53

Don't buy Ardagh cheese if you care about your health. It's loaded with salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

sig53 wrote: »
    Don't buy Ardagh cheese if you care about your health. It's loaded with salt.

Oh shut up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Food producers can mark a product as Guarenteed Irish as long as it's produced on the Island of Ireland. It's in the same way as a person from the North is entitled to an Irish passport. That's why you'll often see meat on shelves with a UK farm code but a guaranteed Irish label.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This thread is 4 years old. Sig53, please do not bump threads that have not been posted in for more than 6 months. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement