Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGBT Library - Books and Movies

• 05-04-2011 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Do you have one? (Mods- if this is better suited to Literature forum please move, though I think I may get a better response here. :))

I have a collection of LGBT books, but unfortunately in recent years it's been sadly neglected. Some of these books I read over and over again, and have helped me realise my identity and abolished those feelings of being completely isolated when growing up gay in a small, backward little Irish town. And there are others that remind me of my first relationships and had a particular resonace as I came out to myself and others.

Here are a couple that mean a lot to me:

Jeffery Euginides- Middlesex (have read so many times that I've lost count)
    Jeanette Winterson- Written on the Body and The Powerbook (Began reading these in a special but difficult time of my life)
    Alison Bechdel- Dykes to Watch Out For and Funhouse (Read these in very happy times of my life)
    Jean Genet- Our Lady of the Flowers (reminds me of how playful sexuality and gender can be)
    Judith Butler- Gender Trouble (non-fiction but completly changed my perception of life)
    Eric Marcus- Is it a Choice? Answers to 300 of the Most Frequently Asked Questions about Gays and Lesbian People (Found this in a second hand bookshop in a small country town when I was fifteen. Snuck it into my house and it became my bible.)
    GCN- (Not a book but discovering it in our local library at 15 made me feel a little less alone. I used to pretend to read the encycolpedias and put it on top of them, so noone would see me reading it. :rolleyes:)

Books that I am ashamed to not have read yet :o-
    Rita Mae Brown- Rubyfruit Jungle
    Leslie Feinburg- Stone Butch Blues
    Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City series
    More Kathy Acker

Everyone's been discussing Oscar Wilde and Lacey's book recently and it made me think of these books and my sadly neglected LGBT reading lists. So to get it back on track I'm looking for recommendations from people for books that, to an extent, (overly dramatic here), changed your life. :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

From my own limited reading list:

'His Name is Rebecca' - Rebecca De Havaland
    'Whipping Girl' - Julia Serano
    And a collection of Irish coming out stories, can't think of the editor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

diddlybit wrote: »

Jeffery Euginides- Middlesex (have read so many times that I've lost count)

This is actually my all time favorite book, its so beautifully written and is an incredible story. I cried my way through it.

Otherwise I've only read a few LGBT books like Annie On My Mind and Keeping You a Secret but tbh neither of them were very good.

I'd say this would be my other favorite, its like someone wrote a book about my life, like every single aspect of that book is just so much like my own (except my dads not a mortician, but all the other parts!)
    38990.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I went through a HUUUUUUUUUGE phase of reading lots of gay (mostly lesbian) books. Man, some of them were awful.

BUT here are a few of the best ones. They are (IMHO) mandatory for any self-respecting book lover. (you really don't have to be gay!)

1) Tipping the Velvet- Sarah Waters.

2) The Night Watch- Sarah Waters (seriously fantastic book)

3) Hood/ Stir-Fry- Emma Donoghue. (These ones did change the way I looked at myself and who I was, as a questioning 19 year old living in Dublin for the 1st time, in particular Stir-Fry. Every lesbian in Ireland needs to read these two books. They made me feel far less alone as a teenager and running stuff through in my head. You probably don't even have to be a lesbian to appreciate them)

4) Oranges are not the Only Fruit- Jeanette Winterson

5) A Village Affair- Joanne Trollope. (This is a funny one, actually. Not funny ha-ha. It's by a proper old fashioned chick-lit author, one that mothers all over the country loved to read in the early 90's- it was one of my mothers favourite books, even before I came out. I think it has helped a lot of Irish mammy's to realise that sometimes you just fall in love, and it can't be helped, and really- is it such a big deal?)

Loving this thread!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

I'd say this would be my other favorite, its like someone wrote a book about my life, like every single aspect of that book is just so much like my own (except my dads not a mortician, but all the other parts!)
    38990.jpg

Lol. Knew I should have double- checked the name before I wrote about it. :D Thanks. It's just great though, but I'm not sure if I should be concerned that your life is so like her experineces. :eek:

@zoegh. I love Waters too, though wasn't the greatest fan of The Night-Watch. Fingersmith is great too. Will definately pick up the Donoghue books, I've only read Room so far. Well impressed with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Is it really bad to say I've never read a single book mentioned in this thread :o I'm not even sure if I've read an LGBT themed book.
    I haven't been to the library in a couple of years and before that I was on first name terms with the librarians so I would have been really awkward about borrowing one when I was younger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Booon

Great suggestions.. I remember reading Stir Fry years ago, twas the first lgbt-themed book I read :) Must track down Hood! I recommend Biography of Desire by Mary Dorcey..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Aoifums wrote: »
    Is it really bad to say I've never read a single book mentioned in this thread :o I'm not even sure if I've read an LGBT themed book.
    I haven't been to the library in a couple of years and before that I was on first name terms with the librarians so I would have been really awkward about borrowing one when I was younger.

No, but you still can. If You're worried about your own library join the Ilac one

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Outhouse has a massive range of LGBT Books, AFAIK The Lesbian section is even bigger than the gay one...

They have novels/ fiction etc as well as many devoted to particular issues.

AFAIK there is no fee and they can be borrowed for three weeks, or there is comfortable seating in the library itself or the cafe below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

i havent really read any books on the topic... but i have recently read a few chick lit style novellas on lesbian affairs - they were really bad and im pretty sure they were written by people who havent a clue about what it is to be gay because they arent gay but hold fantasies about it. a very annoying amount of sex in them but sure i suppose most chicky novellas tend to lean that way.

i just downloaded some of those sarah waters books mentioned.
    most of the ones on the thread dont seem to be on ebook but i havet checked amazon yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

zoegh wrote: »
    1) Tipping the Velvet- Sarah Waters.

2) The Night Watch- Sarah Waters (seriously fantastic book)

I haven't read either of these particular books but I have read "Fingersmith" by the same author Sarah Waters. I thought it was a fantastic read and I would recommend it, not only for LGBT content but on a number of levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

I didnt really like the night watch either loved fingersmith and tipping the velvet. Tallaght library are ver open and supportive ree:lgbt books but I always went to outhouse

One of my favourite lgbt books is maurice its brilliant

Chapters is a great spot for LGBT books, they have a decent selection I always found, especially since they've moved to that big new store on Parnell St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

does anyone have books (LGBT) that theyd recommend? i read all sorts but i like a spot of erotica as well as fiction, factual and history (note - not just lesbian stuff -- LGBT!)

im really looking to get stuff i can put on my kindle e-reader and most LGBT books are not available as ebooks. but some are
    i got some of sarah waters (or is it walters) - tipping the velvet, fingersmith as zoe suggested in another thread

this thread may be of interest to most of us as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I've just bought Terrible Queer Creatures, by Brian Lacey,very expensice E27, a History of Homosexuality in Ireland.

Whipping Girl by Julia Serano is the best Transgender themed book I've read and I've read a lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

On the T side of things

Julia Serano's Whipping Girl, A Transsexual Woman On Sexism And The Scapegoating of Femininity

and Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher, which is fiction, started off a bit dull but really picked up and had my in absolute tears by the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Can't go wrong with Emma Donoghue, read Landing last weekend and loved it. The Sealed Letter is next on my list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

ooooo Almost Perfect sounds great. There's a book written by this photographer dude about his relationship with Michael Stipe from R.E.M. although it's never explicitly named him, but like, he's a singer in a famous band from Athens, Georgia and has other stuff in it just about his life and stuff.

It's called Outline of my Lover and it's by Douglas Martin, and amazon has it priced at £58.98 (for a used copy?). I don't know why it's so dear. But I want it so bad. Can we have a whipround or something? :pac: Although I'm getting paid soon....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Asry wrote: »
    ooooo Almost Perfect sounds great. There's a book written by this photographer dude about his relationship with Michael Stipe from R.E.M. although it's never explicitly named him, but like, he's a singer in a famous band from Athens, Georgia and has other stuff in it just about his life and stuff.

It's called Outline of my Lover and it's by Douglas Martin, and amazon has it priced at £58.98 (for a used copy?). I don't know why it's so dear. But I want it so bad. Can we have a whipround or something? :pac: Although I'm getting paid soon....

Abebooks has it for slightly cheaper - £35 + £11 postage. I assume high price as its in demand and out of print?

Its also available for about $55 + Shipping from the States. Add Shipping of approx $15 thats about €48 so slightly cheaper than the UK!

Edit: I cant get it cheaper anywhere I'm afraid! Had a look around there...
    There was an Indian supplier for €15 who strictly will only post within India :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

Ah you're a legend. I should take you shopping with me always!

I will ALWAYS recommend Sarah Waters, in particular The Night Watch, it's mega. I also recommended Emma Donoghues Stir-Fry and Hood over in that thread, they're wonderful.

If you like biographies, I'd highly recommend "The Fry Chronicles" by Stephen Fry and "Society's Child" by Janis Ian. Fry we all know, but if you're into American folk or just awesome music in general, Janis Ian was a contemporary of Joan Baez, Bob Dylan and Janis Joplin in the 60's and 70's. Her autobiography is really well written and chronicles a lot of that time, plus her struggles with her sexuality and eventual coming out and marriage to a woman. Also have a look at "Unbearable Lightness", by Portia di Rossi. It's a really moving account of eating disorders and mental health issues, and it's underpinned again by her gay identity and the issues that caused in Hollywood.

God, I miss reading for pleasure. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

There was a good thread here on a Gay Library of books and critics.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056230016

This was the thread LGBT Library. Maybe a Mod could combine??

I was thinking maybe a sticky on books/DVDs etc. Both resource and fiction would be great? What do others think??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Links234 wrote: »
    On the T side of things

Julia Serano's Whipping Girl, A Transsexual Woman On Sexism And The Scapegoating of Femininity

and Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher, which is fiction, started off a bit dull but really picked up and had my in absolute tears by the end.

Been looking for Almost Perfect in the shops but I can't find it anywhere. Amazon only?

I love these threads. :o

For factual/theory books my favourite's have had to have been-

Judith Butler- Gender Trouble
    Jack Halberstam- Female Masculinity
    Michael Warner- The Trouble with Normal
    Lillian Faderman: Odd Girls and Twilight Lovers
    Majorie Garber: Vice/Versa
    Michael Signorile: Queer in America

The Gay and Lesbian Studies Reader is a monster of a book, but great as well.

I think a sticky would be a good idea Kiwi.

I'm currently reading 'Telefonate mit Denise' in German , Denise, formerly Mike tells her story, growing up in the former East Germany, far more tolerant the West apparently. Sad to hear of the covert discrimination she received in her job as a nurse from patients and staff. She wrote of one passage where a patient asked for someone else to take their blood pressure. She eventually quits her job as a nurse. It's easy to forget when your amongst friends how tough it can be out there, especially was for her during her real life experience.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/images/3896028200/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=299956&s=books

A good Irish Trans book is 'His name is Rebecca'

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/images/1842234447/ref=dp_image_z_0?ie=UTF8&n=299956&s=books

Have a book on LGBT in Islam ordered. Might not be obvious but Islam has it's lgbt advocates, including some clerics. Iran has the seconf highest rate of gender reassignment in the world. Sadly for the purpose of making homosexual couples hetero as homosexuality is punishable by death.

Oh and for a non-binary, gender queering perspective and a lot of history, try Transgender Warriors http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/images/0807079413/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=52044011&s=books-intl-de
    Written by a legal woman who had hormonal treatment to grow a beard and to fit in but never legally changes her identity or has any surgeries, identifies as neither male nor female, has often worked as a man but legally remains a woman.

Not quite a book, but a blog. I'm not sure how many of you guys are familiar with this girl's comedic genius, but here it is. (Most I should say.)

http://www.effingdykes.blogspot.com/

By the way NSFW, which makes it even more fun. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

all I have to add are Sarah waters stuff (fingersmith, affinity & TTv) and a couple of issues of Diva :P...cultured I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

My partners is partial to Len Barot Radclyffe american lesbian romance paperbacks, she turns them out on double quick time! I find RedHotDiva and Amazon LGBT section where I start all searches from.

I have a load of trashy (but good) Lesbian books at home but cant think of the names at present!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

His name is Rebecca - Rebecca De Havalland
    Irish Coming Out Stories - Can't think of the Editior who compiled it, but I found it in the library and it was a great read.

Must buy some more lgbt books online, because the local library seems to have an extremely limited amount for its size.

You know I'm really a printed word addict. I often get good deals on used books in very good condition on Amazon so doesn't cost me a fortune. That new 02 prepaid Visa card has been a revelation for me. Laser is generally only accepted within Ireland, 3V was costly and cumbersome.

There's one or two to avoid as well but I don't want to end up in the courts!:)

The only good lgbt library I know of is in Outhouse. I'd like to start reading more lgb books , am overweight from my diet of T!

• Advertisement

Any suggestions for such? I'm deliberately excluding T despite being T myself because I've got about 20 such books already and need no more. I'm actually interested in establishing a book club at home and while I'm well endowned with 't' titles,I'm much less so with lgb,obviously there is frequent overlaps.

Advertisement