Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AGS Annual review of the operation of the Firearms Acts

Options
  • 05-04-2011 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Taken from the Justice.ie site. Mostly it's a basic summary of the changes from a few years ago, rather dry reading. There are some bits of interest though:

154170.png

154171.png

154172.png

154173.png

It also makes the point that the internal Garda firearms board will continue to run, getting ready for the first renewals in August 2012...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Numbers are the numbers, but I'm surprised that there are only 199 restricted shotgun/rifle/bow certs out of 187k in total - a mere 0.1%. Makes mine sorta special!
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Numbers are the numbers, but I'm surprised that there are only 199 restricted shotgun/rifle/bow certs out of 187k in total - a mere 0.1%. Makes mine sorta special!
    P.

How many fellas actually applied for a shotgun that held 4 (restricted) as opposed to an unrestricted plugged shotguns?

How many applied for a 25 round mag for a 10/22 rather than just using a 10 shot mag??

Why would anybody apply for a crossbow cert when they are a white Elephant here anyway?

I was not surprised by the amount of old red rotten shotguns handed up though

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I was not surprised by the amount of old red rotten shotguns handed up though
    It's the bit he didn't mention there alright - 45,000 dangerous firearms, maybe - but dangerous to the user because they're 60-odd-years old, held together with duct tape and baling wire and a lot of grease and you'd want to really not care about your appearance to fire one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Sparks wrote: »
    It's the bit he didn't mention there alright - 45,000 dangerous firearms, maybe - but dangerous to the user because they're 60-odd-years old, held together with duct tape and baling wire and a lot of grease and you'd want to really not care about your appearance to fire one :D

Nothing wrong with a bit of DIY:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Wonder how many possibly intresting gunmaker names and possibly historically significant guns might have gone West in those 45,000.
    Despite their old[60 years....Piffle!! if of good workmanship] and duct tape repairs,they could have been restored if worthwhile.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Wonder how many possibly intresting gunmaker names and possibly historically significant guns might have gone West in those 45,000.
    Despite their old[60 years....Piffle!! if of good workmanship] and duct tape repairs,they could have been restored if worthwhile.

an Item only has value to those that want them..

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

P.

according to the statement above there is an outstanding of 20,000 more to be issued because i read somewhere before the total no. of applicances was something like 222,000 i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

I'm delighted for the 397 people who have their pistol license

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

154322.JPG

154323.JPG

Wouldn't necessarily knock older guns - this one is 106 years old !

That's not the standard I've seen on the firearms I've seen being handed in for destruction Vizzy :D They literally have been held together with tape, twine and wire and look more like IEDs than firearms.

Besides, I like old firearms!

(oh, and I resized your images there, hope you don't mind).

• Advertisement

That's not the standard I've seen on the firearms I've seen being handed in for destruction Vizzy :D They literally have been held together with tape, twine and wire and look more like IEDs than firearms.

Besides, I like old firearms!

(oh, and I resized your images there, hope you don't mind).[/QUOT

I know that !

This my new baby ( well one of two new babies) and I just had to show it off:)

Thanks for doing the images as well,they were too big to see but I didn't know how to alter them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Why would anybody apply for a crossbow cert when they are a white Elephant here anyway?

I was told by my local archery club, that the top crossbow shooter in the world, is Irish. I was also told that he can not get a cert for one here :rolleyes: Don`t know if its true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

chem wrote: »
    I was told by my local archery club, that the top crossbow shooter in the world, is Irish. I was also told that he can not get a cert for one here :rolleyes: Don`t know if its true or not.

there have been a few crossbows issued was looking at a compitition not so long ago the lads where saying they where very hard to get.probaly down to where your from and which chief super

Close enough on the former, not so much on the latter. One of the WTSC lads was/is the Irish national crossbow champion. Haven't heard of him having much trouble with licences.

Vizzy wrote: »

Wouldn't necessarily knock older guns - this one is 106 years old !

Lovely gun, nice timber, I like the doll'd head / third bite. Do you have it's sister?
    Rs
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Just out of curiosity..Where and when did you get to see these yokes being handed in Sparks??:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity..Where and when did you get to see these yokes being handed in Sparks??:confused:
    In Wilkinstown. My rifle lives in the local RFD's lockup (haven't a gun safe at home) and he's gotten nearly 200 handed in to him for destruction so far, and I see them when I go training (3 times a week at the moment). They're usually single barreled farmer's shotguns, usually in incredibly bad repair (I'm not joking about the wire and tape and twine, I wish I was), and the only safe thing to do with them is to destroy them. They're not even worth that much, being usually fairly cheap old baikals or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

seen a good few that where handed in down in the sports den gun room about 50 or so had a look at them and handled a few belive me you wouldnt want to fire them its a sin caked in rust. the FO was telling me they went to inspect a farmers gun,he couldnt find it after 4 hours of searching found it in the haybarn under a bail of hay rust dripping of it.I was taught from an early age clean before and after and they will last a lifetime.

............ he's gotten nearly 200 handed in to him for destruction ................

Two hundred stocks will cut his fuel bill next winter!

Seriously, the offer of a fiver/tenner to a RFD for a timber stock would be worthwhile, use it to practice a refurbishemnt on, steam out dents, etc.,
    P.

The stocks don't burn that well, it turns out - or more accurately, burn too well as they're dried, seasoned and the top layer is impregnated with gun oil. They burn up to nothing in no time flat, rather than giving you a nice long-lasting fire :D

• Advertisement

Lovely gun, nice timber, I like the doll'd head / third bite. Do you have it's sister?
    Rs
    P.

Afraid not, but she is even better loking in the flesh !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Most firearms dealers are savvy enough to know when an old gun is worth something, i doubt if many holland and holland's or edwinson greens have slipped through their hands.

Advertisement