Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who thinks they have screwed up William St with all the Works going on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Berty wrote: »
    Remember the talk about the fact the lines on Sarsfield Street suggest the right lane is for going on as well.

I followed the suggestions here and figured. The left lane basically comes to an end, due to the road works, so if both lanes go straight on then the right lane must be the lane with priority as the right lane is the only one which continues straight.

Twice I have nearly been involved in a crash with people beeping their horns and waving fists.

Yet now that I use the left lane others still use the right lane as well.

You just cannot win.

Also: In the left lane it has a straight and right arrow with BUS in red. Would it be fair to assume that it means ONLY the bus can use this lane for straight and turning right. Probably not but it IS the council who put this down. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the right arrow in the left lane is for bus drivers only...you'd think they'd just put a straight arrow...and assume the bus drivers know they can turn right.

They also have a straight arrow in the right lane, a lane that was traditionally the lane for turning up O'Connell Street. :confused:

Don't understand it at all. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

zuroph wrote: »
    I just wanted to quote this, the day Berty was finally inexcusably IN THE WRONG on a driving matter! :D You've made my day Berty, A thank you!! :pac:

Nope, see I tried it your way Mike and It didn't work out. I was obviously(naturally) correct and will continue to take my original course of action.

Moral: Never doubt yourself. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Nope, see I tried it your way Mike and It didn't work out. I was obviously(naturally) correct and will continue to take my original course of action.

Moral: Never doubt yourself. :D

lol. dont give into the incorrect bullies Berty, you keep your head up and be proud in the right lane..

the reason there is two lanes going straight ahead is there will be two lanes up william street, and eventually o connell street will be pedestrianised outside BT.

What did you say?

head-in-sand.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,080 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

By the time all these grandiose boulevards are in place in Limerick city centre,The city centre will be a ghost town inhabited by scobes,drunks and druggies,as no one sane will want to come into it,as there will be no busisness in the centre first off.Due to the stupidly high rates to pay for these revamps.Anyone not notice how out of proprotion they are to the buildings??Not to mind nill parking facilities except in the rippoff parking lots.
    Well done Limerick city councillors and town planners you are creating a donut conurbation and killing the centre.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mastershake

In fairness something has to be done to sort out the city center.Leaving things as they are will only lead to further deterioration.The place is an absolute kip especially William st but these works should see it reach its potential.Bedford row and Thomas st have been a huge success in my opinion and a job similar to Patrick's st in cork for William st would be hugely beneficial for attracting new stores and shoppers/tourists.

People here want something for nothing.Quit whining about short time works and instead focus on the greater long term benefit for the city.

In fairness something has to be done to sort out the city center.Leaving things as they are will only lead to further deterioration.The place is an absolute kip especially William st but these works should see it reach its potential.Bedford row and Thomas st have been a huge success in my opinion and a job similar to Patrick's st in cork for William st would be hugely beneficial for attracting new stores and shoppers/tourists.

People here want something for nothing.Quit whining about short time works and instead focus on the greater long term benefit for the city.

The only way to make William Street nice is to evict about 60% of the tenants and I can't see that happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,080 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Nice????????????:eek::eek: Sorry.But I hate to say your sense of archetectural proportion leaves alot to be desired!!Whoever did this to Limerick should be simply taken out and thrown into the Shannon wearing concrete wellies!!
    EVERY last project of any merit in this town has been a disaster!!Be it town planing or traffic management or "improving " the looks of the city.
    The glass box in King Johns castle ..It is SOOO bad that even pictures of Limerick are angled to hide or remove it form destroying the picture,or it is simply airbrushed out.The riverwalk to Plassey,big talk of water taxis etc,millions wasted, looks like a tip again,council and waterways Ireland play pass the blame. Lets not talk about the marina,or the boardwalk,or the oil derrick..err..Xmas tree that collided with the bridge and sunk this year.:rolleyes: The demolition of Cruises hotel years ago for the muggers paradise of cruises street..Any other town would have turned that into a beautiful indoor shopping arcade..But not Limerick..No we demolish it and fling up red brick horrors.:mad:

Those huge boulevards of sidewalks are totally out of proportion to the buildings and the town ,and what was put in Bedford Row was a disgrace!!It is a soulless monstrosity of uninspired glass and fake marble.Clashing with the older buildings on the other side of the Ave of Puke...
    They demolished a building of significant historical value, an Art Deco building namley the old Bedford Motor works for this modern POS that graces the street now.
    Still I suppose the pavements are easy to clean now of puke and blood after a Saturday night,if the coropration would be botherd.

This wont attract Jack to the city centre..The rates are way too high as is the rent.The whole city centre from William St to Oconnell st and down to Henry St is now a FOR RENT,or FOR SALE sinage forest!!

WHY would I want to as a shopper and buissnesman want to come NEAR the city centre anymore??No parking facilities to do quick dropoffs without being jumped on by the traffic nazis with their 40 euro tickets.
    Got to lug everything that I might have bought to a car park,pay over the odds for that or on street parking.

A tourist,will see a derelict city centre with a bunch of overpriced brand name shops,and at night IF they go into the city centre will be hassled by scobes,druggies and alchos who are sitting and abusing the street furniture and passers by.So fancy,pavements that cause car choked lanes by now are going to compensate and enhance the "Limerick Experiance"??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Face it..This street planning is simply make work,and shifting the deck chairs on the Titanic!!It is a white elephant plan from the good years when we were" awash with money" and crackpot "Green" ideas of car free cities..Yeah..Car free,bus free,or any other form of realistic alternative transport for Irish weather conditions free transport.

Predict within ten years all this will be ripped out again,as people realise that if you want the CC to survive people have to be able to access it by car to have the convience of the shopping centres,and the rents will have to drop by 75to 90% on some of those dives they call shops.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

You're right. I call for a monorail immediately!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It begins! :eek:

On a more serious/on-topic note, did anyone read Bock the Robber's blog about William Street this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

no didnt see it IO - care to share?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Is that the one with the photos of the cellars being filled with cement?

It made me very sad :(

Is that the one with the photos of the cellars being filled with cement?

It made me very sad :(

Only saw that on his blog now. Made me angry.

Too little too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Interesting blog, love to know more about the tunnels under limerick, especially the one mentioned here

aboysham April 26th, 2011 7:38 pm

One of the largest, if not the largest cavern in Ireland runs under William Street, just behind the ones in your photos Bock. It was originally the magazine attached to William Street barracks. I can’t believe that they are just filling them in. The ones in your photos were originally the coal cellars and surely must belong to the proprietors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

phill106 wrote: »
    Interesting blog, love to know more about the tunnels under limerick, especially the one mentioned here

I don't know, if they were actually that significant the Civic Trust or the Georgian Society would have objected to the works. I'm loathe to see any of old Limerick destroyed but Bock's not one for giving the full story, I'd like to see an independent person's view of it.

These tunnel's have been filled in at the top of O'Callaghan's strand and outside Tim Martin's pub too. My initial impressions have always been it's a waste but I'd like to hear a qualified person's take on it.

• Advertisement

There was a thread in the Infrastructure forum called "underground Ireland" and the tunnels were mentioned. I think its mad and lazy they just filled in people's property like that.

There are many many others all over the city, some connecting right into the sewers. History, whatever it is, needs to be protected especially from the accountants in Limerick City and County Council.

There was a thread in the Infrastructure forum called "underground Ireland" and the tunnels were mentioned. I think its mad and lazy they just filled in people's property like that.

There are many many others all over the city, some connecting right into the sewers. History, whatever it is, needs to be protected especially from the accountants in Limerick City and County Council.

Afaik, the tunnels are below these again. These are old coal bunkers/storage spaces.

Afaik, the tunnels are below these again. These are old coal bunkers/storage spaces.

Love to see them though.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

On a more serious/on-topic note, did anyone read Bock the Robber's blog about William Street this week?

Yup. I wouldn't be too concerned about it as he's misinformed. What he shows are basement storage areas. My grandad owns a building on William street and the area was unusable due to damp and general unmaintainable atmosphere. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them were concreted even before the council got to them.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Yup. I wouldn't be too concerned about it as he's misinformed. What he shows are basement storage areas. My grandad owns a building on William street and the area was unusable due to damp and general unmaintainable atmosphere. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them were concreted even before the council got to them.

Did you see all the rusted bicycles dragged from one of them, not great for storage as is but they could be fixed up and maybe should be fixed up rather than filled in with concrete. It'd be a lot more interesting if Bock had checked the full facts before running off with a story though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

...It'd be a lot more interesting if Bock had checked the full facts...

Well thats bock in a nutshell right there...
    He'd out-opinionate Jeremy Clarkson!

In fairness I do like Thomas street and the re-developed part of Catherine street, while Bedford Row is vomit-inducing to walk through.
    Hopefully William Street will be an improvement on whats there already, the city really needs something good to happen before it implodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Some of those buildings look horrible. Perfect example is the building that Gamestop is on. Horrible gray wall above it. Even the "Cruises Street" sign is in bits. Limerick needs a lot more work than a nice footpath, although it is a great start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

roast wrote: »
    Some of those buildings look horrible. Perfect example is the building that Gamestop is on. Horrible gray wall above it. Even the "Cruises Street" sign is in bits. Limerick needs a lot more work than a nice footpath, although it is a great start!
    Agreed on that big cememt slab that is above Gamestop easily the most disgusting building in Limerick city centre, at a main bus stop too. You'll hear no complaints from me if someone was to tear it down.

They got a new Cruises Street sign about two years ago.

It would be a good place for a big advert.

http://goo.gl/maps/pliY

Mc Love wrote: »

Yeah I thought the same myself, although I'd prefer to see some kind of painting or mural.... that might be nice - but unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Always wondered about that place. There's absolutely nothing behind it...

http://goo.gl/ZISXU

slinky2000 wrote: »
    Always wondered about that spage. There's absolutely nothing behind it...

Oh my god - i am shocked! I thought it was used as storage for the shops below!

Something like the miller ad with the mural created using the power washers would be cool

Something like the miller ad with the mural created using the power washers would be cool

A job for "Occupy Space" I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

WTF is the point of that?? :confused:

• Advertisement

Holy crap.... I'm surprised you even spotted that tbh. :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

CiaranMT wrote: »
    WTF is the point of that?? :confused:

I remember reading somewhere that it was put there after the building was built so that all the buildings on William St would be the same height. I don't remember it not being there so it must be there since at least the 70s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I remember reading somewhere that it was put there after the building was built so that all the buildings on William St would be the same height. I don't remember it not being there so it must be there since at least the 70s.

If this was NY that's be a piece of art by now. Something interesting would have been done with it at least.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

CiaranMT wrote: »
    If this was NY that's be a piece of art by now. Something interesting would have been done with it at least.

How about this lovely design from Fight Club? :p

smiley_face.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Spotted it years ago for some reason!

I think I meant "place" not "spage" in my post lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Oh my god - i am shocked! I thought it was used as storage for the shops below!

The song in that add is fantastic:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

someone get a cherry picker and we go in and art it up :p

zuroph wrote: »
    someone get a cherry picker and we go in and art it up :p

I'd love if Limericks graffiti heads saw this thread and decided to do just that. :pac:

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

MarkR wrote: »
    Was the car there for long?

at least 10 minutes that i saw, some sort of brown thomas shopping emergency...

at least 10 minutes that i saw, some sort of brown thomas shopping emergency...

Such an asshole, why did you post this here?

because he came rushing back to the car carrying a brown thomas bag, putting his 2 children into a two seater illegally parked car with no child seats or booster seats.
    Obviously if it was not an emergency, he would not do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Who's the asshole? Why shouldn't he post it here? :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Jofspring

phog wrote: »
    Who's the asshole? Why shouldn't he post it here? :confused::confused:

Think he is calling the guy in the car an asshole.

Clearly posted here though because its on William Street.

What a twat that guy is. Parks illegally blocking a road that is already totally blocked up then drives off with a child in the front seat of a two seater car with no belt. Its a pity the gardai didn't get there first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Jofspring wrote: »
    Think he is calling the guy in the car an asshole.

Clearly posted here though because its on William Street.

What a twat that guy is. Parks illegally blocking a road that is already totally blocked up then drives off with a child in the front seat of a two seater car with no belt. Its a pity the gardai didn't get there first.

One would think that given he was easy to recognize in the video, given the car reg was seen, and given that the placement of the car was clear, along with the unbelted children, that the gardai would have the evidence they need from that video and could supplement it with any video footage from the street cameras.

Just to clarify, did you mean I am an asshole or the parker?
    I posted this here because you asked me to in the obnoxious parking forum!

Just to clarify, did you mean I am an asshole or the parker?
    I posted this here because you asked me to in the obnoxious parking forum!

Yep. Rather confusing isn't it. Couple my post with some beer and confusion is rife.

The parker is truly the asshole because yes I asked you in another forum to post it here so it would be odd to follow you back here to slag you off. :o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

There's an obnoxious parking forum? :eek: cannae wait for a look at that

• Advertisement
Advertisement