Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cheetah Run 19/5/2011

Options
  • 05-04-2011 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭

Disclaimer: This is a blatant, unashamed plug! eek.gif

The third running of the Cheetah Run is on Thursday, May 19th, at 8pm, in the grounds of Fota Wildlife Park and Fota House. If the limit of 800 runners is not reached, entries will taken on the night (€12), up to 19:40. Afaik, this is the only race in the world (apart from one in nashville) that runs through a zoo/wildlife park.

You want scenery - you got it!...and it's only €10 for pre-entries, with €5 of that going to renovate Fota Wildlife Park's Gibbon Island. Trouble is....to enjoy the scenery, you need to be running slowly.

Race info
    Course info

On-line entry at Run Ireland
    Entry form (for postal entries)
    Over 600 finishers in each of last two years.

IMG_1552.JPG
    Close to the 3 mile mark

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 3 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    66%
    opuseliwallach 2 votes
    3 stars (average)
    33%
    corked 1 vote
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

This gives a better idea of the uniqueness of this race!
    Cheetah_Run_image.jpg

Join us on Thursday May 19th, in Fota Wildlife Park, for the wildest race in Ireland - Run through the unique surroundings of a zoo!

Organised by Runners for Runners!

Full range of masters category prizes!

Enter online at Run Ireland

Race Details

Route details, including photos etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    Any chance you could post the postal entry form here as the link on the Eagle website doesn't appear to work :confused:

This is the error message I see when I click on it:
    The document must be published before downloading.

opus wrote: »
    Any chance you could post the postal entry form here as the link on the Eagle website doesn't appear to work :confused:

This is the error message I see when I click on it:
    The document must be published before downloading.

Double Doh!!! :(:(:(
    I missed that. As an Eagle site administrator, I can see everything, so it always opens when I check, sometimes forgetting simple things like publishing. :(

The link should work now, but here's the doc anyway, along with a race adv. Of course we goofed again with both these - we forgot to put down the distance on both drafts - it's 4 miles!

Course Change:
    We're changing the course a bit, to remove the 248 metre section on the public road, thereby freeing up about another 10 stewards for other areas.

The race will now take place entirely on private roadways and over 2.8M of the 4 Mile race will now be withing the Wildlife Park itself.

Starting by the Cheetah enclosure and taking in about 1.3 laps of the Wildlife Park, the race then heads out onto another private road, past Fota House, before heading back in for another lap of the Wildlife Park, finishing just after the Giraffe enclosure - more or less where we finished the year before last.

Enter online at Run Ireland Pre-entry, @ €10, is €2 cheaper than it will be on the day (purely an incentive to pre-enter!).

Race Details

Revised route details will be posted on the Eagle AC website after the course is remeasured - weather dependent, but hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday.

• Advertisement

As of this evening, entries have passed 530 - less than 270 places remain.

On-line entry has been extended until 5pm Tuesday next (unless the 800 limit has been reached) After on-line entry has closed, postal entries will be accepted up to Thursday morning (again subject to the 800 limit).

If you intend running this race, get your skates on and enter now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Condo131 wrote: »
    As of this evening, entries have passed 530 - less than 270 places remain.

On-line entry has been extended until 5pm Tuesday next (unless the 800 limit has been reached) After on-line entry has closed, postal entries will be accepted up to Thursday morning (again subject to the 800 limit).

If you intend running this race, get your skates on and enter now!

Wiil there be mile or km markers along the route or both ?
    And will water stations etc be avaliable at the half way mark .... I presume there will not be more than one or two at most ?
    Ps. as we will be running amongst animals, will rabies shots be necessary ?:confused:

anymore wrote: »
    Wiil there be mile or km markers along the route or both ?
    Mile marks only 1, 2 and 3, plus the finish line.
    And will water stations etc be avaliable at the half way mark .... I presume there will not be more than one or two at most ?
    C'mon it's a 4 mile race. You'd walk as far to the shops without water. There will be a water station, courtesy of Coca-Cola and Fota Wildlife Park, after the finish chutes. Water will be bottled.
    Ps. as we will be running amongst animals, will rabies shots be necessary ?:confused:
    This race is Rapid!!.....NOT Rabid! LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

:D
    Condo131 wrote: »
    Mile marks only 1, 2 and 3, plus the finish line.
    C'mon it's a 4 mile race. You'd walk as far to the shops without water. There will be a water station, courtesy of Coca-Cola and Fota Wildlife Park, after the finish chutes. Water will be bottled.
    This race is Rapid!!.....NOT Rabid! LOL :D
    Jysus Condo , you are in very bad form today ! :D
    You are right about the rabies thing, sorry, I meant what precautions if any should we take about avian flu, given the very exotic species of animal that will be moving about down there !

:D
    Jysus Condo , you are in very bad form today ! :D
    You are right about the rabies thing, sorry, I meant what precautions if any should we take about avian flu, given the very exotic species of animal that will be moving about down there !
    Hmmm......I've heard some (unkind) people say that I'd pick an argument in an empty room! :rolleyes:

The only precautions you need take are these:
    1. Wear racing shoes, so that you can run fast - you only need run faster than 'the other guy' - the Cheetahs will probably go for the first runner they can catch. The only proviso on this is that most runners have very little meat on them! :D
    2. Enter early. We're now at 547 entries. 800 is our limit due to parking, safety and logistics. Entries will probably close before Thursday (online entry at Run Ireland closes at 5pm on Tuesday)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

have you a mapmyrun of the route ? looking forward to it nevermind got it above

New course Because the course is entirely off public roads, you're best looking at it in satellite mode. Don't be fooled by the steep looking climbs - the few that are there are of the order of 30 ft climbs and they look harder than they are because MMR/Google is 'fooled' by trees.

Route details, including photos etc. This is last year's route, however it gives a good feel for the course.

BTW Less than 180 places remaining - over 620 entries to date!

Enter online at Run Ireland

At the rate entries are coming in, it's likely that the 800 limit will be reached tomorrow and entries will close immediately, even if the scheduled closure time of 5pm hasn't been reached.

Entries for the Cheetah Run have closed. The 800 limit was reached early this afternoon and the entry process was closed automatically. There will be no entries accepted on the night of the race – no exceptions. Many people will be disappointed, however safety and logistical considerations mean that Eagle AC cannot cater for more than 800 on this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Excellently organizaed race. The food afterwards was unreal. Just got a banana after the bay run a few weeks ago. This is from a person who complains about everything. Couldn't knock the organization.

4 stars (good)
    Nice spot to run for sure & race was well organised.

The only place I saw room for improvement was the start where myself and the people around me didn't actually know which way the race was going so wasn't sure were we closer to the front or back :o Turned out we were closer to the front once there was announcement but some people wanted to move back at that stage but couldn't due to the sheer numbers of people around them.

Great spread of food afterwards as well & I got a shout for wearing my boards.ac t-shirt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭juansheet

When will the results be out?

4 stars (good)
    juansheet wrote: »
    When will the results be out?

Available via the Running in Cork blog site now.

....or directly, on the Eagle AC website:
    Excel
    PDF

Visit Eagle AC for results, photos and videos from the ASICS / John Buckley Sports Cheetah run (more photos & videos to be uploaded)

Advertisement