Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

size of padocks question!!

• 05-04-2011 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Ok, i have about 30 acres. In about 5 lots.
    The question i have is there a math formula to decide on how big a padock should be?
    Supposs im grazing 10 cattle 300kgs.

Thanks
    newbeeffarmer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I thought the dairy paddock grazing experts would have this answered by now!

Basically Newbeeffarmer paddock size for every farm is different. But all will revolve around the same basic principles:
    • the size of your grazing group
    • the length of time it takes to grow the optimum amount of grass fit for grazing on your farm
    Most paddock systems are based roughly on a 21 day rotation. Ie animals that graze a paddock will not be back in that paddock for approx 3weeks. This allows the paddock to grow back the optimum amount of grass fit for grazing. This obviuosly is just a guideline as it depends on many factors including, but not limited to, grass growth conditions.

You also ideally want your grazing group to be able to graze out the paddock bare, without grazing regrowth. The group should therefore only remain in it for 2-3days MAX.

Assuming a 21 day rotation and leaving animals 3 days to graze each paddock, you will need at least 7 paddocks. So you should ideally divide up your main grazing ground into 7-8 paddocks if you want to keep the optimum amount of animals on your farm.

You will use your silage ground for extra temp paddocks during the spring/autumn when grass grow rates are lower and stock will have the grass eaten quicker.

Explanation a bit technical, but you should ge the drift:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

Lol i thought this would have gotten loads of replys, confirm one thing for me, people do use paddocks right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

don't mind what 'people' are doing lad. Do your own thing ;)

If you want to use paddocks, use paddocks

Advertisement