Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar techniques magazine

• 05-04-2011 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

How many of you actually buy this? I find it to be a great way to brush up on and learn new things.

What method of doing the tabs in the mag do you use? do you for example go all the way through the song and get a feel of it and then rewind and practice/polish it off? or do you work bar by bar by bar?

I find the mag to be useful and use to buy it years ago. My only complaint is that they tend to repeat themselves a lot. Like this months edition is dire straits, next months will probably be clapton or slash. When I picked it up years back in my teens those were the songs in those months editions. So I find it could be repetitive a bit. what do you overall make of the mag itself? is there any better out there? ( I dont think there is ).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I don't buy guitar magazines and haven't for years. Like a lot of magazines they have become overpriced and ad-filled. There is little or no content that I can't get online somewhere else.

As for learning from tabs I use Guitar Pro. I generally have a listen to the song myself first to work it out and then I'd check out the tab to see what bits I've missed. For awkward or difficult sections I'll stick it on repeat at a lower tempo to get the notes right then I'll gradually increase the speed as necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Malice wrote: »
    I don't buy guitar magazines and haven't for years. Like a lot of magazines they have become overpriced and ad-filled. There is little or no content that I can't get online somewhere else.

I agree. The money you would pay for half a dozen magazines would buy you a good instruction book(s) or DVD. Also as Malice says, there are lots of web sites which are just as ( probably more) informative...and free. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

I'd agree with the posters who went before - a Guitar Techniques or equivalent magazine would cost the same as an instruction book on Amazon that will develop the technique in terms of putting it in a context and offering different avenues to explore. Most come with CDs so that angle is covered too. Forums like this and TGP are great places to get recommendations and discussions on tutorial books.

From my experience, they always seem to rotate the Zep - Hendrix - Stones - Flavour of the month cycle so hardly groundbreaking in their approach

Having said that, I normally flick through them when in Easons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

i often get an odd copy of guitar techniques(or TG or guitarist mag) if i have a spare tenner on me and if i remember the date their in the shop, at the odd time i get em, i agree the tabs are just the most popular songs done in rotation but some of the interviews and instrument ratings are fairly good in em

if its just tab ure after i'd advise ultimateguitar.com, they have some good tab and they also use guitar pro as well, my ear isnt greatly trained and i use their tab most of the time to figure out what i can't myself

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DaylightDies

Good magazine but I don't have the patience for learning scales or tabs by looking at a magazine (I have a fairly short attention span when it comes to stuff like that) I'm a self taught guitarist and find it better if I try and work songs out by ear, work out nice scales and other things by ear as well.

GT has some nice columns, however! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Pablo_

I bought it once, only because 'Big Love' by L Buckingham was fully tabbed out, I learned it for few months, feeling of satisfaction playing it now. best buy but when i pass it in shop now i don't like the tabs ... subjective tastes i guess

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I used to buy it every month, now every few months.

The main reason I really enjoyed it is the way it introduces new styles and genres every few months, styles I would never have been introduced to if I had stuck to downloading song tablature and buying instruction books myself. Eg Boss Nova, Gypsy Jazz, Prog, Reggae plus tutorials on Hybrid and Thumb pickin'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Malice wrote: »

As for learning from tabs I use Guitar Pro. I generally have a listen to the song myself first to work it out and then I'd check out the tab to see what bits I've missed. For awkward or difficult sections I'll stick it on repeat at a lower tempo to get the notes right then I'll gradually increase the speed as necessary.

You speak tha thruth brotha

I remember going into tower records in my teen days and getting a guitar mags then but its to accessable online now and there is no Adblock plus in magazines!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

-=al=- wrote: »
    there is no Adblock plus in magazines!
    Imagine if there was - you'd feel a bit ripped off paying €10 for something with around 30 pages of content.

The above figures were up on the spot and may not be accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

It costs around €7.

• Advertisement
Advertisement