Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Off Hook Head

Options
  • 05-04-2011 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

120 million barrels of oil are the latest estimates for oil discovered off hook head...this was already drilled in the 1970's but operations have now ramped up this year with the final pieces of the jigsaw being tied up and drilling ready for 2011 / 2012.

I hope this doesnt mean we will have another Corrib on our hands with ecosystems bring ruined and then environment being permanently damaged by this.

i do know that the Oil field is about 37 miles or 60km out to sea.

If only someone had the foresight years ago to make a proper deal so our countrys natural resources will beneift the people of this country ...our economic woes would be nil right now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭luvs2spooge

Quare nice...

Any chance of a start I wonder??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Its Shell Oil once again - that means another Corrib all right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

If only someone had the foresight years ago to make a proper deal so our countrys natural resources will beneift the people of this country ...

They did but only a select few.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

if thats the case Hook will be ruined... and our Whales will not return! we can kiss goodbye to our lovely coastline.... and with these companies current records of safety (e.g. Gulf of Mexico) we are doomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

if thats the case Hook will be ruined... and our Whales will not return! we can kiss goodbye to our lovely coastline.....
    I'm for it if it means we don't have to kiss goodbye to our family members as they leave to seek work abroad

• Advertisement

unfortunately it wont mean that at all...itll mean a load of workers from shell (whereever they're from) coming here taking what they can and running off again. it wont stop your kids leaving im afraid.... but will probably stop anyone else coming here and visiting that region ...so tourism dies alongside nature, our ecosystem and local economy....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

oldyouth wrote: »
    I'm for it if it means we don't have to kiss goodbye to our family members as they leave to seek work abroad

+1.

I'd prefer to see what proposals would be put forward, what development and infrastructure would be implemented, what local jobs in construction and hospitality would be created, and what the actual impact on the regions eco system is from credible sources before I start listening to the scaremongers telling me the place will be ruined and that it should not happen.

who's to say we cant have a natural resource which can be safely implemented and can create jobs and boost the economy in one of Irelands worst hit ecenomic regions without the natrual habitat being destroyed? why do we have to be negative before we even hear any plans? if it doesnt look good or if it will damage the area, I'll be against it, but I'm not going to dismiss it out of hand for no good reason.

look at corrib and then come back and talk to me about credibility... and as for scaremongering ??? no amount of scaremongering can prepare you for whats ahead if these get their grubby little hands ....

knock on effect of anything will be minimal and if there is it will be periodic at best before they run off with what they want and leave us to pick up the pieces.

i think ill start a new website WAKE UP WEXFORD !

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

its our oil not the british's or yankies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

its our oil not the british's or yankies

It was our gas too, now we can have it for "market price".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its our oil!

<
    ;)

corrib field is worth 480 BILLION!!!!! Bertie sold it for a song.... i dont know how certain people have stayed out of jail with everything thats gone on. oh i know why...cause they wear white collars and suits!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as if that meant somthing... anybody who ever did anything to mess this nation up wore a suit!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

mike65 wrote: »
    Its our oil!

<
    ;)

We found it first,Waterford can't have it.The Corrib case is a different kettle of fish-the spineless money grabbers in FF sold away the rights thinking only of short term gain.They had no interest in the future.
    If the Hook is managed properly with forward planning on how the country can maximise the income from it.
    Countries in the Middle East didn't get rich by selling away the rights to their natural resources.
    With regard to spoiling the area,some of the oil and gas rigs around the world are in areas of extreme natural beauty and sensitive ecosystems and generally no problems.With tight controls any potential for pollution can be negated,we simply don't let oil companies do what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Instead of selling off the rights to the oil for a measly pittance of a royalty, why not set up a state-owned and run oil exploration company, employing local people and selling the oil on the open market, with the Goverment pocketing the lion's share of the earnings, rather than the oil companies? I could never understand the idiocy of selling off mining rights, whether oil, gas, coal, gold or other minerals, for a one or two percent royalty.

Certainly it would be expensive upfront, but think of being able to use oil revenues to retire state debt and be able to tell the ECB to go and f*** themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Bearhunter wrote: »
    Instead of selling off the rights to the oil for a measly pittance of a royalty, why not set up a state-owned and run oil exploration company, employing local people and selling the oil on the open market, with the Goverment pocketing the lion's share of the earnings, rather than the oil companies? I could never understand the idiocy of selling off mining rights, whether oil, gas, coal, gold or other minerals, for a one or two percent royalty.

Certainly it would be expensive upfront, but think of being able to use oil revenues to retire state debt and be able to tell the ECB to go and f*** themselves.

simply put nobody would trust us to not make a balls of it
    we don't have the marine engineers,or the crews with experience or the know how of drilling machinery to do it right,and not possibly risk another gulf of mexico event
    nobody would invest in an irish only operation

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

punchdrunk wrote: »
    simply put nobody would trust us to not make a balls of it
    we don't have the marine engineers,or the crews with experience or the know how of drilling machinery to do it right,and not possibly risk another gulf of mexico event
    nobody would invest in an irish only operation

Well import those who can do it at the start and let them work on contract for the company until such time as locals can be trained up to do it. But keep the company state-owned, so that the earnings go into the consolidated fund and pay the state's bills. And there is the bonus for Wexford in having however many employees living here and spending their money here, as well as paying tax to the Irish state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭purplepanda

This will be a disaster if we sell the oil for a few Euro, the country is in massive debt & we have to make sure that maximum benefit goes to the nation. No way should we be letting the multinationals walk in & throw a few scraps our way:mad:

FF have probably already sold the rights anyway:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whats needed is a national oil company like Statoil in Norway, trouble is said company would need funding for exploration, drilling, piping and refining/storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

How about a breakaway Republic of Wexford that would own all the oil. We could have immigrant workers from Waterford to do the dirty work. And a pipeline to Dublin that could be turned on/off as we choose.:cool:

Advertisement