Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dial Up!!

Options
  • 05-04-2011 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I could not find any info anywhere and knew someone here would know. Doing a college assignment and was wondering when did dial up come into use in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Mainstream would've been around 1995. Dialup to bulletin boards, Compuserve etc had been around for years before that, but '94/'95 was when non-nerds started using the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

p15574 wrote: »
    Mainstream would've been around 1995. Dialup to bulletin boards, Compuserve etc had been around for years before that, but '94/'95 was when non-nerds started using the internet.

Thanks for that p15574

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TomWH

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I could not find any info anywhere and knew someone here would know. Doing a college assignment and was wondering when did dial up come into use in Ireland?

Am I the only dial up diehard left in Ireland? is it possible to use dial up anymore? it won't work for me anymore, I'm a Luddite for some things!
    Is it possible to get dial up through the phoneline anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yes it is, eircom still provide it to some REALLY remote users. Dont know why youd want it though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

TomWH wrote: »
    Am I the only dial up diehard left in Ireland? is it possible to use dial up anymore? it won't work for me anymore, I'm a Luddite for some things!

Of course it's still available and it doesn't cost what it used to (shop around, e.g. Oceanfree, iol etc were good value back in the day). I agree with Ed E, don't know how you would have the patience for it. EDGE would be faster and in 99% of places, if no 3G/4G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

TomWH wrote: »

Don't go digging up ancient threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement