Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to farming

• 05-04-2011 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi everyone, just looking for a bit of advice. I'm 30, married with no kids, and working in a job that I hate.
    My parents split up a few years back, and split the farm in two, although my dad works both parts (he has Mam's part leased from her).
    The reason I've come on here is that I need a bit of help. I want to run my Mam's farm. It's approx 50 acres, with good sheds, a good slatted unit, land is pretty good, except for a couple of hilly fields.
    I was planning on fattening lambs and calves for a start. I was just going to buy them in as young as possible, feed them as much as I need to, either in the shed or on grass with a creep feeder, and then either export them or sell them in Ireland. My Dad worked abroad for many years in the agricultural sectors so he has great contacts abroad, that is why I'm inclined to export.
    I don't fancy getting into dairy farming just yet, mainly becasue of the set-up costs, I believe that they are very high.
    I workied on the farm quite a bit when I was younger and absolutely loved it. The reason I didn't pursue a career in farming was because I listened to people saying that "you can't make money in farming". Well, that may be true, but I know that if I manage this right, I damn well won't lose any money. Making huge profits isn't important to me as I don't have a mortgage to pay. All I need is enough to get by on. The quality of life is much more important to me.
    Sorry for rambling on. Anyone got any comments on my plan? I'd welcome both good and bad comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 b2dadizzle

Forgot to mention, would it be better to keep the animals in all the time to fatten them, and then just use the land for silage/hay and fodder beet for feeding, and to buy in the straw for bedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Talk to an ag advisor, preferably one in the private sector to see if you can join any of the schemes that give out money such as AEOS. Can you get any grant/aid to commence farming and are you able to claim any disadvantaged area aid?

Other than that, if you are not in it for profit and can afford to live on very little, should all go wrong, then go for it.

Another option would be to sell the grass as silage, get perhaps €100/120 per acre and then let the sheds for the winter. You can charge per head per day, but I do not know how much. You can charge a bit more if you dish out the feed and look after the cattle for the owner.

By doing these, you have no outlay and all income.

If you buy animals, you must pay for them and pay for all inputs including labour with no return until you sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭hedgecutting eddie

b2dadizzle wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just looking for a bit of advice. I'm 30, married with no kids, and working in a job that I hate.
    My parents split up a few years back, and split the farm in two, although my dad works both parts (he has Mam's part leased from her).
    The reason I've come on here is that I need a bit of help. I want to run my Mam's farm. It's approx 50 acres, with good sheds, a good slatted unit, land is pretty good, except for a couple of hilly fields.
    I was planning on fattening lambs and calves for a start. I was just going to buy them in as young as possible, feed them as much as I need to, either in the shed or on grass with a creep feeder, and then either export them or sell them in Ireland. My Dad worked abroad for many years in the agricultural sectors so he has great contacts abroad, that is why I'm inclined to export.
    I don't fancy getting into dairy farming just yet, mainly becasue of the set-up costs, I believe that they are very high.
    I workied on the farm quite a bit when I was younger and absolutely loved it. The reason I didn't pursue a career in farming was because I listened to people saying that "you can't make money in farming". Well, that may be true, but I know that if I manage this right, I damn well won't lose any money. Making huge profits isn't important to me as I don't have a mortgage to pay. All I need is enough to get by on. The quality of life is much more important to me.
    Sorry for rambling on. Anyone got any comments on my plan? I'd welcome both good and bad comments.

goin to cost alot to stock ur farm this spring seen cast ewes making 140euro in kilkenny mart yes ,cattle are getting dearer by the day hard to kno wat to do to b honest but best of luck with it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭BOND747

Its very difficult to know what is the best system of farming to make money from. Each year can vary as to what system makes a profit, Your going to have to put alot of money into starting up so what ever you do make sure your business plan is watertight. Maybe you could farm it part time? You may live on very little money but there is no easier way to lose money than a poorly run farm. All the best with it

Advertisement