Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

legal databases

Options
  • 05-04-2011 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

hey anyone inform me on the best way to use these? find them dreadfully annoying...takes forever to find anything relevant lecturer said gonna bump up my grade hugely if i can nail using more sources!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

I find Westlaw.ie is the best, or even the UK version of Westlaw for subjects like contract or equity. I really disliked Lexis and hardly ever used it in college- the layout, the material presented etc. just never really floated my boat.

It's just about being simple in your search terms- keep it down to one or two words- if you are looking for something specific, try being specific, alot of it is trial and error, sometimes you will have to enter several search terms before you hit the nail on the head. I use legal databases like Westlaw for extra academic commentary and journal articles which lecturers love, and I use bailii for cases or legislation because lecturers love to see extra reading.

Always look for the most recent article first because these are more likely to include the most recent developments in the ever changing beast that is our legal system or look for seminal articles first to give yourself a good grounding if you are not 100% sure of an area of law. Try westlaw.ie first because there will be less information on it, try narrowing your search by picking one particular journal at a time to trawl through (i.e. Irish Criminal Law Journal, Conveyancing and Property Law Journal etc.) depending on what you are studying and it should be happy days!

Advertisement