Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unstable dsl connection

Options
  • 05-04-2011 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm on the eircoms up to 24mb broadband package.
    Before my connection speed was upgraded it was very stable. With the adsl2+ modem I connect at 15mbit but it keeps dropping connection every 20 to 30 mins. If i use my old modem that does not support adsl2+ I connect at 8 mbit and the connection is really solid. For the last while I have just been using my old modem. But the old modem has died recently so I am now using the newer one and it's very frustrating with all the disconnections.

I have included screen shots of my line noise.

What would be the fastest way to get this sorted.
    Should I just downgrade to the 8mb package?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

tuxy wrote: »
    Hi,
    Before my connection speed was upgraded it was very stable. With the adsl2+ modem I connect at 15mbit but it keeps dropping connection every 20 to 30 mins. If i use my old modem that does not support adsl2+ I connect at 8 mbit and the connection is really solid. For the last while I have just been using my old modem. But the old modem has died recently so I am now using the newer one and it's very frustrating with all the disconnections.

The fastest way would be to lower your speed to say 12Mb. Your downstream noise margin is too low it should be at least 15. Lowering the line speed would achieve this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi,

Hi tuxy,

Can you PM me with your eircom telephone number and I will look into the DSL sync on your line.

Thanks, Mark

Hi,

Hi tuxy,

Thanks for sendiing on your details. I sent a request to broadband technical support to check your sync and connection history. I should have a response by tomorrow.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

That's great thanks.

That's great thanks.

Hi tuxy,

What ADSL2 modem are you using at the moment?

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

It's a Netgear. The Eircom Zyxel won't fully boot up for me anymore. But connection problem was the exact same with the Zyxel.

It's a Netgear. The Eircom Zyxel won't fully boot up for me anymore. But connection problem was the exact same with the Zyxel.

Hi tuxy,

I escalated your issue to broadband technicl support and the looked at your connection history and saw the disconnections. However the DSL signal is showing a steady connection to the main phone socket while synced at 15MB.

I suggested lowering the profile which we could do to see if there is an improvement.

However broadband technical support feel the drops are caused through the modem and they can only advise trouble-shoot the drops if you connected the Zyxel.

Thanks, Mark

However broadband technical support feel the drops are caused through the modem and they can only advise trouble-shoot the drops if you connected the Zyxel.

Thanks, Mark

So I should connect the Zyxel even if it does not boot up?

So I should connect the Zyxel even if it does not boot up?

Hi Tuxy,

Apologies, I should have expanded a bit more in my previous post. if you contact broadband technical support on 1890 260 260 they can try a few checks and arrange for a replacement modem to be sent out.

I insured that we investigate everything from a network point of view before refereeing you to broadband technical support. They believe the modem to be the problem and we can't support every modem.

If you want to try reducing the profile to see if that shows an improvement I have no problem arranging that for you.

I willl follow up with you tomorrow.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks Mark I will contact technical support and get an Eircom supported modem working.

Could you give me a brief description of what lowering the profile does? Would that mean I connect at a slower speed?

• Advertisement

Thanks Mark I will contact technical support and get an Eircom supported modem working.

Could you give me a brief description of what lowering the profile does? Would that mean I connect at a slower speed?

Hi tuxy,

Sorry... Yes loweing the profile just means loweing the speed.

Thanks, Mark

Hi tuxy,

Sorry... Yes loweing the profile just means loweing the speed.

Thanks, Mark

Do you know what speed it would be lowered to?

Do you know what speed it would be lowered to?

Hi tuxy,

I checked and the sync would be lowered to 12MB which is the lower profile to 15MB.

Thanks, Mark

OK could you go ahead and do that please.

OK could you go ahead and do that please.

Hi tuxy,

The sync has been lowered to 12MB, that should take effect in the next half an hour, monitor it over the weekend and i will follow up with you on Monday.

Thanks, Mark

Hi tuxy,

The sync has been lowered to 12MB, that should take effect in the next half an hour, monitor it over the weekend and i will follow up with you on Monday.

Thanks, Mark

Yeah just noticed it's at 12MB now. Will post back here on Monday, thanks.

Yeah just noticed it's at 12MB now. Will post back here on Monday, thanks.

Hi tuxy,

have you noticed an improvement in the connection stability?

Thanks, Mark

Sorry for the delay Mark. No improvement on connection stability. Noise margin is still very low.

So maybe it is the modem. I contacted broadband technical support who did their best to help me but can not give me a free replacement modem while out of contract.
    Are my only options to sign a new contract or buy a modem from Eircom?

Sorry for the delay Mark. No improvement on connection stability. Noise margin is still very low.

So maybe it is the modem. I contacted broadband technical support who did their best to help me but can not give me a free replacement modem while out of contract.
    Are my only options to sign a new contract or buy a modem from Eircom?

Hi tuxy,

You are free to by a modem including a Zyxel from retail outlets obviously we recomend the Zyxel to eircom customers as we provide direct support for it.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Hi tuxy,

You are free to by a modem including a Zyxel from retail outlets obviously we recomend the Zyxel to eircom customers as we provide direct support for it.

Thanks, Mark

You cannot purchase the eircom branded Zyxel from a retail store. You have to order it via technical support or sales.

• Advertisement
Advertisement