Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a good 1/2 tonne spreader?

• 05-04-2011 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads

What would be a good half tonne fert spreader for a lad to buy? Just for grass.

Wide spread isn't important to me, more important it spreads EVENLY.

I've a small cheap and cheerful 6-7bag cavello at the moment but want to change for next year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭alderdeer

I bought a bogballe fertilizer shaker two years ago, I dont know what model or size it is off the top of my head but it holds 14 bags of CAN or 10 bags of UREA comfortably. doesnt spread too wide but very even and the hydraulic on/off lever is feirce handy.

New at the time €2700 and the dealer gave me €1100 for my old amazone that i was going to leave in the ditch, so not a bad buy by any means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

alderdeer wrote: »
    I bought a bogballe fertilizer shaker two years ago, I dont know what model or size it is off the top of my head but it holds 14 bags of CAN or 10 bags of UREA comfortably. doesnt spread too wide but very even and the hydraulic on/off lever is feirce handy.

New at the time €2700 and the dealer gave me €1100 for my old amazone that i was going to leave in the ditch, so not a bad buy by any means

That was agreat deal. My half ton wagtail (Vicon) cost me 1600 about 5 years ago. Its just bog standard with manual controls, but it does the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Bog standard would suit me fine too;) And not bothered about hydraulic opening as would be using it on the 135.

Have no experience of wagtails, always used single spinners. They give any bother?

Was that price new Reilig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Have a vicon wagtail. Will hold 1 tonne at a push. It has the hydraulic shut off and I find it a great job, very accurate although not fierce wide. Now the only problem is affording the fertiliser to go into it.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

We've always had Amazone spreaders here and I would be loyal to the brand, but I know people with Rauch,Bogballe and Vicon twin spinners who are very happy with them. If spread width doesn't bother you, a Vicon or similar wagtail would probably suit you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 lilbelter

Muckit wrote: »
    Bog standard would suit me fine too;) And not bothered about hydraulic opening as would be using it on the 135.

Have no experience of wagtails, always used single spinners. They give any bother?

Bought a new teagle xt20 from alexander mills last spring for 995 pound. Think they're gone up to 1100 this year but well worth it. Follow this link it's the 5th from the bottom.
    http://www.alexander-mills.co.uk/pmenu.htm

It spreads very evenly and the hopper is very durable so it wont break (or shouldnt unless ya do something daft!). It's attached with a couple of spring loaded clamps on either side so can be detached very easily, which is great for cleaning it with a powerhose to make sure it won't rust. Makes it handy for storing for the winter too.:D

It was new. Part of a promotion that they had at the time. It has a fiberglass tub so its easy cleaned and doesn't rust.

Will the 135 carry that much fertilizer? You might need the double wheels on :)

reilig wrote: »
    Will the 135 carry that much fertilizer?

No bother to her :) Had a JF single spinner a few years ago that had a hopper with a square top . Made a timber frame to carry 2 bags on top without them falling down into the spreader. She easily carried 8 in hopper + 2 on top. Front would need a bit of counterweight alright;)

You won't beat a good light 2wd tractor for the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

No bother to her :) Had a JF single spinner a few years ago that had a hopper with a square top . Made a timber frame to carry 2 bags on top without them falling down into the spreader. She easily carried 8 in hopper + 2 on top. Front would need a bit of counterweight alright;)

You must have fierce flat land Muckit.

What do you use for counterwight on the front? I could do with getting something for my 135. The land we have is fairly hilly, anything of any weight behind it and its rises...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

My auld fella won't touch anything other than an amazone twin disk.

We had one 1/2 tonne one for 25 years, now got another 1 tonne spreader. No bother on the 7000 until we forgot to put on the front weight and she was standing up in the field. Turning at the headland was more like drifting that day :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mf2909

Hi lads

What would be a good half tonne fert spreader for a lad to buy? Just for grass.

Wide spread isn't important to me, more important it spreads EVENLY.

I've a small cheap and cheerful 6-7bag cavello at the moment but want to change for next year
    Hello Muckit
    I bought a nice S/h Teagle XT22 spreader this year. (ebay for £130) Twin disc and it Does a good job. Had one of the old spinners (single type that can be bought for few hundred Euro). I was told that if the main bearings go in the teagle it is expensive but easy to fix, and i was told that if the same happened in the Amazon then the parts were cheap but the Amazone was a b.... to fix!!! So i guess either way it would be a problem, By the way lads does anyone know where i could get a hydraulic ram that would be suitable for making my machine hydraulic opening, I really need the correct ram kit, Priced is and it costs €300 approx. Mad

reilig wrote: »
    That was agreat deal. My half ton wagtail (Vicon) cost me 1600 about 5 years ago. Its just bog standard with manual controls, but it does the job.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59252812

View2-6537127.jpeg

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/machinery/2194669

Just came across this. Seems a good spreader for the money.

Anyone come across them before? Can't be bad if they've a vicon gearbox, can they?? I like that the frame is galvanised and hopper seems well supported with the metal hooped around it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

View2-6537127.jpeg

Anyone come across them before? Can't be bad if they've a vicon gearbox, can they?? I like that the frame is galvanised and hopper seems well supported with the metal hooped around it

just be careful when they say half ton, I bought a cosmo half ton spreader..now it takes half ton and its a grand spreader but i found a half ton bag really filled it and when driving over bumpy ground you could loose fertilizer, i bought a hopper extension which solved issue

just be careful when they say half ton, I bought a cosmo half ton spreader..now it takes half ton and its a grand spreader but i found a half ton bag really filled it and when driving over bumpy ground you could loose fertilizer, i bought a hopper extension which solved issue

Thanks for the tip vander ;) I'd hoping to change over to half tonne bags alright, save ther back :)

How much was the extension vander? Could you get a factory fit jobbie or was it a homemade one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Thanks for the tip vander ;) I'd hoping to change over to half tonne bags alright, save ther back :)

How much was the extension vander? Could you get a factory fit jobbie or was it a homemade one?

hmm i think it was maybe around 200 euro, it wss a specific extension for the spreader from manufacturer i presume..anyway i got it for a good deal less as i was unhappy with dealer that the spreader was spilling to begin with
    the big bags are handy alright ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

a lot of those spreaders with the vicon gearbox dont have a vicon made gearbox, they have a vicon design gearbox.

(and now that I read the ad that's exactly what that ad says!)

looks like value.

View2-6537127.jpeg

It looks well made. But I would advise if you have the extra money to go for full Vicon spreader ahead of the one with the vicon parts. We have the Vicon and the Cosmo (In Galway and Leitrim). Cosmo has had to have bearings and rubber bushings replaced this year - even though these parts are supposed to be manufactured by vicon. However, the vicon supplier wouldn't touch the cosmo - it had to be brought back to the importer in Cavan.

Both have done almost the same amount of work - although the Cosmo is owned in Co with a relative so I don't know how much abuse he gives it.

Vicon was less than EUR100 dearer than the Cosmo at the time!! Look out for deals that they run early in the new year

JohnBoy wrote: »
    a lot of those spreaders with the vicon gearbox dont have a vicon made gearbox, they have a vicon design gearbox.

looks like value.

''THIS MACHINE HAS VICON GEARBOX.NOT A COPY BUT MADE BY VICON THEMSELVES''

Read it again :D

I must price the vicon aswel though. Abbey would be another spreader I'd have in my head. There is a dealer just down the road from me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

JohnBoy wrote: »

looks like value.
    Read it again

Likewise :)

• Advertisement

The gearbox is made by vicon, according to the ad. It doesn't mention the word 'designed'. It says it isn't a copy.

It is false advertising if it's not a vicon gearbox.

Advertisement