Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restricted Licence advice/ help needed

Options
  • 05-04-2011 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

I am looking to buy a .22 rifle, was more than likely going to go for the ruger 10/22 as I have experience with this gun. BUT I have fallen in love with the sig 522 another .22 semi auto rifle. This is going to fall under a restricted licence because of the assault rifle appearence.
    I have all the requirements, gunsafe, land owners permission, etc to apply for the licence for the ruger. The only thing that is preventing me from applying for the sig 522 is the reason for wanting one. The reason is the same as why i want a rifle in the first place, to hunt rabbits and shoot targets at the range. So its purely a cosmetic reason for me wanting one, as they both funtion the same. How do i justify this to the CS.
    Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation or can anyone advise me to a reason that is acceptable. Also this wont be my first gun, already have a shotgun.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You prefer the stock design to the one used by the ruger. That's about it really; people seem to think there's some secret formula here of how to phrase these things, but the idea is you just say why you want it and not another firearm. Since the appearance is the only thing putting it on the restricted list (and that one is a purely subjective judgement, though granted in the 522's case, it's about as close to objective as that judgement could ever get :D ), it shouldn't be the worst application process in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

duffyer wrote: »
    I am looking to buy a .22 rifle, was more than likely going to go for the ruger 10/22 as I have experience with this gun. BUT I have fallen in love with the sig 522 another .22 semi auto rifle. This is going to fall under a restricted licence because of the assault rifle appearence.
    I have all the requirements, gunsafe, land owners permission, etc to apply for the licence for the ruger. The only thing that is preventing me from applying for the sig 522 is the reason for wanting one. The reason is the same as why i want a rifle in the first place, to hunt rabbits and shoot targets at the range. So its purely a cosmetic reason for me wanting one, as they both funtion the same. How do i justify this to the CS.
    Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation or can anyone advise me to a reason that is acceptable. Also this wont be my first gun, already have a shotgun.

Personally, Id apply as either a non restricted firearm if it comes with 10 (they can be bought) round mags or less or apply for it as restricted if the mags are more. Even if it does come with more than 10 round mags you can have a dealer pin the mags so the gun is still non restricted.

This is topic has been talked almost to death... The "Assault Rifle" look, and there are 2 ways to look at it.

1) You look at the firearm both internally and externally. This is IMO the only way (unfortunatly not always the way that it is done) to resolve these issues.

As the S.I No 21 of 2008 states:

3.(1) "assault rifles" means-

(a) rifles capable of functioning as semi-automatic firearms and as automatic firearms.

(b) firearms that resemble such rifles.

Obviously the .22 Sig doesnt have the F/A function that the real 55x series rifles has so (a) is nil void.

Externally it may look like the real deal but (in short) internally it is a completely different machine using a heavy blowback system to operate the .22 as opposed to the piston operated rotary locking bolt of the .223.

The list actually goes on as to there differences.....

This is why IMPO that is is classed as a NON restricted firearm.

2)The second way to look at is it the uneducated way at looking at it and taking the "i dont like the look of that" attitude.

Take the humble Ruger 10/22 as a prime example....

ruger_5801.jpg

How many 10/22s are in the country licenced as non restricted firearms ??? Well according to S.I No 21 of 2008 3.(b) the humble Ruger 10/22 with its mag less than 10 rounds IS restricted as it is classed as an "assault rifle" because it resembles a Fully automatic rifle... The Ruger mini 14....
    Mini14.jpg

Yes they were made full auto as well as semi auto...

That little metal notch above the trigger is your selector between semi and full auto.

Of course how could you forget where most of us learned about the Mini 14 in full auto.....

imagesCA47RVHJ.jpg

500px-A_Team_S5_TFL1M14.jpg

Yep... the A Team :):):)

GH

Yep... the A Team :)
    And they couldn't hit anything with them either :D

Sparks wrote: »
    And they couldn't hit anything with them either :D

Yep.... the show never actually showed anyone getting hit :) goodies/baddies used to side step out of cars/vans/busses in line shooting across at the other .....

Well to the OP.... I hope my last post cleared up a few things, and questions feel free to PM me or post em up here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭duffyer

Thanks for the info lads. I didnt realise the sig 522 fell under a non restricted licence if it has a 10 round mag. Well i hope it does, ill find out one way or another!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info lads. I didnt realise the sig 522 fell under a non restricted licence if it has a 10 round mag. Well i hope it does, ill find out one way or another!

Actually, it's not clear which way the "looks like an assault rifle" bit goes. I think it's a pretty stupid bit of law myself, but that alone won't get it off the books :(
    the call is really down to your chief super unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Ruger mini14 stainless with proper Ruger folding stock and mag....
    Same effect as donuts have on Homer Simpson.......Ruger ....Drooll.!:D

BTW @gunhappy...A pic of a Ruger 10/22 is missing in your informative post.All you have are mini14s.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

duffyer, sparks is right. My point to the thread was that I didnt want to see this turn into the it is/it isnt restricted. It is up to your super or Chief super to decide which it is, however you can inform them as to the various differences. Just because it looks like an assault rifle doesnt mean that youll be putting in section attacks up the ditches of fields on to terrorist rabbits.
    Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    BTW @gunhappy...A pic of a Ruger 10/22 is missing in your informative post.All you have are mini14s.

:eek: I was in a hurry to put the post together after I feckin deleted it be accident first lol heres the proper 10/22 pics....

Sporter....
    10-22-sporter.jpg
    Carbine...
    Ruger-10-22carbine.jpg

Compact.....
    rugercompact.jpg

And the Very deadly "tactical... which is sold here in Ireland...

ruger_tactical.jpg

of course there is no end to the accessories that can be put on these guns !

Advertisement