Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice & Help needed

Options
  • 05-04-2011 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi there

I will try keep this short but need advice as hard to find out what my options are on the net...

Moved into a new property in Dec with boyf and friend (2 bedroom apt - 12 month lease) All is going great except for a couple of incidents with friend (noise, mess, eating our food etc) but had a little meeting and all seemed to be cleared but started to notice the little snide comments from friend to boyf and a little bit of tension again (now rent is split evenly three ways as are all bills even though we share the one room etc)

Anyways all came to a head the weekend I was away and boyfriend was working so stayed at home , our friend had people over for drinks friday didnt clean up and we found out he had been in our bedroom borrowing stuff... Come sat night he brings home a partner (stranger) my boyfriend wakes up sunday morning to find his keys are missing (apartment keys and car keys) the car is also gone from the underground carpark as well as €100. Did the usual rang police insurance etc but when questioned friend over who he brought home and explained what had happened and had been stolen he caused a huge argument started crying and going on the defence ... Anyways we havent seen him since cut a long story short we want out of the lease what rights to i have here... I can give any amount of notice necessary am i entitled to deposit back if all three of us move out? How will this affect me trying to rent a place with just me and the boyfriend now when refrences are required?

Sorry about the long post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Read your lease about ending it. If there's a break clause then you can give the required notice and get your deposit back. If there's no break clause then it's unlikely you'd get your deposit back and could be liable for the remaining rent to finish the 12 months. Or you could get somebody to take over your lease.

Your 'friend' could move out and you or he could find a replacement or vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

like above check your lease

however from dealing with LL's for over a decade most will keep deposit and not look for the remainder of lease payments tiz ireland and not america after all
    not sure how letting agents do it as they are a law unto themselves

most LL's would be pissed off but understand you could however find new tenants but LL most likely would want to meet them first or approve them or you can find a new flat mate for you and bf

we can all suggest what can might or should happen but you really need to be adults and sit down and talk to LL about situation he/she would respect this and would might even reduce rent or give you a reference

best of luck with what ever option you do

Advertisement