Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB card reader

Options
  • 05-04-2011 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

i hate this. various companys adopting these machines are turning the "anytime banking" option into "anytime you're at home with your code machine handy" option.

aibcardreader.JPG

my reading of it suggests that the code card will soon be no more.

any thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Yea seems to be the way they are going. I think it is a complete nuisance!
    Wish they would just p$ss off with their rubbish and let us control our own bank account our own way.

I certainly do not want another machine to look after and cart around if I need to do certain transactions on my laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The code card looks more secure than that little machine... A machine that reads your magnetic strip that's hooked up to your laptop.

Does that not sound like a hacking job I'd have loved 15 years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

the machine isn't hooked up to your laptop. it's standalone. the ulster bank one works by putting in your card, entering your pin, putting in a challenge code and getting a response which you tap into the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Carne

Just logged into my online banking and I do see the option to order a card reader but you can still order a new code card if you want so I don't think they're forcing us to use it yet anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Please excuse my ignorance but as a normal every day customer who uses internet banking do I have to get one of these? Are they phasing out the code card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Carne wrote: »
    Just logged into my online banking and I do see the option to order a card reader but you can still order a new code card if you want so I don't think they're forcing us to use it yet anyways.

well they nearly are - this is gonna cause problems if you don't carry the bloody card around with you everywhere. I used the code card as an electronic file in my email so I had it handy. Not much bloody good with this plastic thing I will now have to carry around. :mad:

aibcardreader.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

To be honest, don't blame the banks. Blame the dumba$$es who respond to phishing mails. People actually respond to mails, putting in all their details, including all 100 codes from the code card and then expect the bank to refund them when their accounts are emptied.

Personally, I would prefer the option of a code card and/or reader. Basically, if you don't want the reader, you get to keep the card for all functionality as long as you sign a statement that you are not going to complain to the bank should you be stupid enough to give thieves all your details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

dotsman wrote: »
    Basically, if you don't want the reader, you get to keep the card for all functionality as long as you sign a statement that you are not going to complain to the bank should you be stupid enough to give thieves all your details.

How does this work - the picture I posted above suggests that there are changes to functionality - e.g limit changes and certain services?

How does this work - the picture I posted above suggests that there are changes to functionality - e.g limit changes and certain services?

Apologies for the confusion. That is what I was saying "I would prefer".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have an RSA token to allow me access my RaboDirect account - it's pretty standard for European banks.

It's a good idea and should guarantee more secure transactions. But that card reader is a bit too bulky though. An RSA token that you could attach to your keyring would be much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Are they havin a laugh?
    Do they expect you to bring this around with you everywhere you need to do an online transaction. What about when you're travelling? I was backpacking in Asia recently and needed
    my code card for loads of transactions online. I couldn't imagine bringing this machine around all the time or is it much smaller than it looks?

I saw my friend's one today. It's slightly larger than a card and looked to be less than 1cm thick. It will fit in a pocket no problem so not too bulky, but at the same time, doesn't fit in your wallet so wouldn't see myself bringing it with me places unless i specifically knew I was going to need it.

To be honest, it's little different to the FOB from Rabo. I never bring it anywhere, because it's not in my wallet. With the code card, you have it anywhere you go. And that has been a huge help to me many a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I heard if you have free banking with AIB, the T&Cs you accept with this can allow them to change the free banking terms. No idea if it's true, but well worth checking before ordering.

I can't see the point myself, the code card is much handier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Not everyone has an AIB laser/atm card..what do those folk do?

Also I don't like the way they say your first card reader is free of charge, it implies that you'll have to pay in future :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

snubbleste wrote: »
    Not everyone has an AIB laser/atm card..what do those folk do?

Also I don't like the way they say your first card reader is free of charge, it implies that you'll have to pay in future :confused:

You have to pay for a second or third - eg if you wanted to have 1 in work and 1 at home. Perfect example of replacing a simple good solution (code card) with a complex less good solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

To be honest I don't see the problem with this. Like others have said, it's a similar system to the Rabo one & to me is a lot more secure than the code card. I don't really use my code card that much so won't really affect my day to day internet banking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

voxpop wrote: »
    You have to pay for a second or third - eg if you wanted to have 1 in work and 1 at home. Perfect example of replacing a simple good solution (code card) with a complex less good solution.

Usually ones from different banks can be used interchangeably. My own bank has relaxed its use of the card readers (now it's for transactions over a certain threshold) as customers weren't happy about having to call up to make payments when at work etc. not having the card reader handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

UB have this system. The reader is only needed to set up and do your first payment. After that you don't need it. Not sure why you they need to have it after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

I got one now and will love it
    its much more secure then the code card
    A code card if you leave it unattended someone makes a copy of it and have access to your account
    Its impossible to do that with a card reader

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I ordered one as I couldn't bring my self to que up in the bloody brance if i needed to make a change on my account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

I have one and am fit to scream. It works on my card fine but when required for a request on Ma's account it loops back to the request page over and over. AIB said it was me (not dozens of times it wasn't), then said it was that the link wasn't completed between the card, reader and account and would work now and it didn't. However it did give an error code that time unlike before. Waiting on yet another call back from them. Bloke on phone was very nice but this is really annoying.

BTW card reader fits in my cc holder wallet, shame it's not working:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

vampyre wrote: »
    BTW card reader fits in my cc holder wallet, shame it's not working:rolleyes:

Did you sit on it? :D

I have one aswell and find it much more secure, I keep it in the car, whether I'm at work or at home the car is always with me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I got one now and will love it
    its much more secure then the code card
    A code card if you leave it unattended someone makes a copy of it and have access to your account

Yep. As long as you leave it with your eight digit registration number, your 5 digit password and whatever the 4 digits you specified as the extra password. Then they've access to your account. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

Well the problem they encountered with the card today won't be fixed for a week approx. Which means postal transactions which will take a lot longer. Pah!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Just saw this on the AIB site now, going to be in college in AMerica next year and Spain after that, dont fancy adding this to the list of things I have to bring with me.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 34 tapper

clearly very few people have read the information about the card reader. You don't have to carry it around with you, you can use any card reader from AIB. All it does is gives you a code, they aren't linked to your account or card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

This looks like a load of shyte.

AIB's biggest selling point for me is the ease of use of their website, I may leave now. I'm never going to carry that thing around with me.

Now my choices are:

-Continue with code card, continue paying my existing payees whenever I want, below €1000
    -Move to a card reader and conduct all transactions at home

If you're going to restrict new payees to the card reader, at least allow us to keep the code card so that we can pay existing payees when away from home.

Bolloks to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

dotsman wrote: »
    To be honest, don't blame the banks. Blame the dumba$$es who respond to phishing mails.
    I wish the banks would be more forceful in dealing with those people who happily give all their details to phishers. It means the rest of us are forced to carry around these lead weights as a consequence. If they're incompetent enough to hand over all their details to some fraudster, ban them from your website before they injure themselves further.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

What do you think of this.
    Seems like a pain in the arse.
    Don't really get what the problem is with the code card, which it replaces.
    I thought the security standard was "something you know, something you possess" which the code card fulfils.
    Anyone know why they're introducing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Pain in the ass alright.

Already being discussed here.

Advertisement