Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB card reader

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I get the impression that if you are doing some international transfers or even online purchases that you need this?
    I never had to use the AIB code card, so does this mean I don't need the card reader? I would assume if it is required for all transaction then it would be sent to your address rather than being ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

stoneill wrote: »
    I get the impression that if you are doing some international transfers or even online purchases that you need this?
    I never had to use the AIB code card, so does this mean I don't need the card reader? I would assume if it is required for all transaction then it would be sent to your address rather than being ordered.

It's replacing the code card, if you haven't used that, you probably won't use the card reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

hmmm wrote: »
    ban them from your website before they injure themselves further.

I'd agree if it could be proven that they were a "victim" of phishing.... and not a card skimmer.

Bank of Ireland used to have a token type system (probably something similar to the Rabo setup) when I first started out with internet banking - 1997 or so... but they got rid of it about a year later... I always found it painful and was glad when they switched to the current system.

I'm still with BOI for my main accounts, and decent internet banking is an important feature (and BOI's is actually not bad now - there's still room to improve though!).
    If I was to move banks, it's definitely one of the the few things I'd check out in advance... and this would put me off moving to AIB.

PTSB don't have this type of set up either.

There's no question that this (and the previous code card system ) are more secure than BOI... but at the price of convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

The reader is honestly small and not a big deal to bring with you. If it is glitch free then it's fine. I would love it to replace the verified by visa system but that's not likely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I thought the security standard was "something you know, something you possess" which the code card fulfils.

The code card is very easily copied. Code generating devices tied to your debit card, slightly less so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

BuffyBot wrote: »
    The code card is very easily copied. Code generating devices tied to your debit card, slightly less so.
    Easily???

The only cases I'm aware of were fraudsters got access to the codes was from a few customers responding to phishing mails and entering in all 100 codes into the email!

Bar doing something as stupid as that, the code card is just as safe as the card reader!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

Mr E wrote: »
    Pain in the ass alright.

Already being discussed here.

This is a link to this self-same thread???? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

If you order the new card reader, you have to agree to revised terms and conditions.

Has anyone trawled through them to check what these new T&Cs are?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have aib, my other halg has boi, atleast with the card reader i can do things he has to request codes by post for. The least contact i have with the bank the better! I have yet to see online banking better than aib and i have set up th rest of my family on with their other banks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Got my card reader today, light and compact....slightly bigger then a Laser card in width/height, but it's not exactly thin. It's OK to fit in your pocket....i have it in my lappy bag.

Easy to use and activate, i wonder how long the battery lasts?....i'd also like to know what exactly has changed in T&C, can't be arsed reading them....i mean, does anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

I live in the UK

Lloyds have a very similar system - you can still check your balance and do transfers between your own accounts.

My Ulster Bank is also very similar - you can still check your balance and do transfers between your own accounts. You can pay many bills.

If you need to do a transfer to a third party you can still telephone.

Sounds like a lot of people are getting their knickers in a twist. The same people would be complaining if their accounts were compromised

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

hmmm wrote: »
    I wish the banks would be more forceful in dealing with those people who happily give all their details to phishers. It means the rest of us are forced to carry around these lead weights as a consequence. If they're incompetent enough to hand over all their details to some fraudster, ban them from your website before they injure themselves further.

that's not the only issue, PINs and Passwords only provide a certain level of security and can be compromised by viruses etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

I need to order an estatement online and its telling me:
    Please enter the following code from your active Code Card, your active Code Card reference number is ***** ****:

What? How the flip do I use the card reader thingy to get this... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

Have you activated the card reader on your account. Until that is done the system assumes you''re still using the code cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

Ah, that might be the problem. How do I activate it?

Edit: There we go! Ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

Anyone know is there any cost for having one of these, dont want to get it and then find out there some running cost soon or something crap like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

no cost to having one but if you loose it or break it I think there's a 5.50 euro replacement fee

http://www.aib.ie/servlet/Satellite?c=SC_Content&cid=1291806113056&pagename=SecurityCentre/sc_main&section=S003#Q4

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

cool thanks, seen as tho there was lots of neg on this post to it back a while back, anyone got anything to say now after maby useing it etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I like it. Have been using it for a couple of months now. It's simple enough. I've had a rabobank account for a long time and I have a similar device, so maybe I'm more used to using it. The only thing that drives me mad is if I forget it and need it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I have both the AIB and Ulster Bank code cards and interestingly the Ulster Bank ATM card (Visa Debit) works in the AIB card reader.

Unfortunately the AIB card only works in the AIB card reader.

I'm guessing this is because the AIB card is a laser/maestro card and that hopefully when AIB switch over to Visa Debit, it will work in the Ulster Bank card reader.

It is very handy having two card readers, being able to leave one at work and one at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 williambean100

i wonder how long the battery lasts?....i'd also like to know what exactly has changed in T&C, can't be arsed reading them....i mean, does anyone?

Ordered mine today.

There doesn't seem to be anything to worry about in the T&C. Batteries are supplied with 3-5years battery life, depending on use I presume. Not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 williambean100

I can't comment on how useful/useless the AIB card reader is for employers but just for online shopping and general use in conjunction with the Laser card it's brilliant!

Simple to use, super compact and super safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Just received one of these and reckon it will be most inconvenient. What was wrong with my code card which I will continue to use for the moment. I was told by customer services that the code cards were getting destroyed in the wash. Are these card readers washing machine friendly? It is so handy to be able to keep a code card in your wallet. This is just an extra pain in the ass thing to carry around especially if using your phone to do transactions while abroad. I might switch bank because of this while hoping the other banks don't bring it in too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Just found out about this today, what a pain in the hole, Was trying to tranfer money home from overseas for a loved one's birthday...no chance, this poxy device is even required for transfer between AIB accounts...Have had many overseas accounts, having lived in different countries and was never subjected to this type of nonsense, what the hell was wrong with the code card??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

FWIW I had one of these probably 15 years or so ago when I lived in the Netherlands with an ABN Amro account, and I believe the other Dutch banks used them too, so hardly a new thing nor restricted to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I'm using one with Rabo since I opened the ac (it's needed for all transactions - even to view ac). Most of my banking is done from my desk so not normally a problem but will annoying if I need to access ac from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

this must be the most backward, dumb a$$ device in the history of banking.

even for AIB, the genuinely worst run bank (yes even more than ibrc/nationwide), this is pants

Advertisement