Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where in Dublin City Centre to buy quality salmon cutlets, and how do you eat yours?

Options
  • 05-04-2011 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Today on my supermarket shop I was only able to buy salmon fillets when what I was really hoping to eat tonight was a salmon cutlet.

Where in Dublin City Centre can I buy good quality but at the same time value for money cutlets? They do not have to be the best, but at the same time I do not want to save money at a cost of eating poorly.

Is it true fish from Dunnes is usually fresher and better than that of Tesco's?

Also, I have heard it said salmon fillet tastes better and is healthier, so maybe I should stick with that? It has been some time since I have had cooked salmon, but I know I very much enjoyed salmon cutlets in the past.

Serving, seasoning, and side dish suggestions very much welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Salmon is salmon and whether it is in steak/cutlet or fillet it will have the same calorific value.
    Its not like pork where a belly could be a lot more fatty than the loin.
    There may slight differences between the belly portion compared to the tail end but it will be slight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Put it on an oiled and salted baking tray, with oil, salt and dill on top. In an oven at 180deg for ~15 minutes. You can put some halved cherry tomatoes on the same tray with salt, pepper, oil and chopped garlic sprikled over. Salmon and cooked tomatoes go very well together

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'd go for Dunnes/Marks & Spencers. Try to buy Irish! I don't think there is fishmongers around town unless you go to Kish in Smithfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

While there's no fish mongers in town other than the aforementioned Kish there are fish counters in both Fallon & Byrne and in the Oriental Emporium on Abbey Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

There's a Chinese shop that sells fish on Parnell Street (nr Cavendish Row). Not sure if they do salmon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ManofStraw

Its not a dinner but if you can get some good smoked salmon, on an onion bagel with cream cheese, cucumber and a some wasabi mayo is great. It makes a great lunch and only takes about 10 mins to make in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭lovelymama

I never buy fish in Tesco - especially their pre-packaged fish. It's awful and always has a creepy slimee-ness to it.

Also, consider that fishermen don't go out over the weekend so shops that are selling fish on that day of the week are selling last weeks fish. My local fish monger never opens on Mondays for that reason.

Finally, when it come to fish, I don't think they are all the same. So I'd sooner buy 1 good salmon darne at a higher cost from my fish monger than buy 2 in Tesco or Dunnes. Just sayin.....

Really easy recipe is put fish on baking tray. Get a slice of bread (whatever you have) - if you have a hand blender use it to blitz into breadcrumbs. Add in whatever herbs you have - use dry herbs if you have none. Add some salt and pepper and a glug of olive oil. Sprinkle (don't pack it down) over top of fish and bake for 20 minutes.

This recipe works better if you have darnes rather than cutlets as there are fewer/no bones.

Advertisement