Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have hassle switching back from Airtricity.

Options
  • 05-04-2011 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

We switched to Airtricity for the savings but are fed up of their payment plan. We want to pay as we use for electricity.

At the moment our account is €500 in credit with Airticity. Has anyone switched back:

1. Was there any hassle with getting the money back.
    2. How long did it take.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

A friend of mine had serious trouble getting all his credit back with them (about €400) - this was nearly a year ago now. Eventually it was sorted (it took more than a month).

The most unbelievable thing about it was that an order was actually put up to disconnect him. No coherent reason was given for this error. Thankfully ESB Networks held off.

Afaik he brought the complaint to the regulator. Are you having hassle getting the credit back from them?

You might find the following video worth a watch; it reminds me of Airtricity's 'anything goes' sales approach. I was coming out of Tesco recently and one of their reps said to me in such a concerned, grave voice: 'Have you remembered to save blah blah blah etc', and I was so taken aback that I didn't really register fully what she said. My gut reaction was to almost dart back to the self-service checkout to see had I forgotten to take my change of €50...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I agree with the OP I am sick of this confusing price plans which are going up to 61 euro a month.

Are the ESB doing any offers for returning customers. It took me an hour to get through to Airtricity this evening...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Corkie,

You might be interested in our Supersaver price plan, which enables you to save up to 14% on our standard electricity rates, and up to 17% if you switch both electricity and gas over to ESB Electric Ireland.
    -Corkie- wrote:
    It took me an hour to get through to Airtricity this evening...

BTW, if you're fed up waiting to get through to someone on the phone, just PM me your name and phone number and I'll arrange for an agent to call you back.

Thanks,

David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Had the option to switch to Airtricity when we moved into new apartment, biggest mistake ever for a saving of what 10%? have had nothing but trouble since. Seriously considering switching back, so was wondering how do we go about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Just contact an alternative supplier and they'll take care of it.

• Advertisement

Seriously considering switching back, so was wondering how do we go about this?

Hi banshee_bones,

You needn't contact your existing supplier to switch back; as cookie1977 pointed out, we can take care of this for you. Everything you need to know about switching back is outlined here.

To browse the range of price plans currently on offer, just click here. :)

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Hi David, I'm interested in switching back to ESB, do you know if the credit on Airtricity accounts is automatically refunded to customers switching back?

Hi E.T.

The best thing would be to phone home, erm, I mean phone our sales line on 1850 30 50 90. :D You could also switch online here.
    E.T. wrote:
    ...do you know if the credit on Airtricity accounts is automatically refunded to customers switching back?

We wouldn't be in a position to answer that one unfortunately, but if our own policies are anything to go by, it shouldn't be a problem. I would imagine it should simply be a case of receiving a closing statement outlining the credit you are owed, and then requesting it either by phone or email. That's the process I'm familiar with here.

I hope that's of help to you,

All the best,

David.

Hi Corkie,

You might be interested in our Supersaver price plan, which enables you to save up to 14% on our standard electricity rates, and up to 17% if you switch both electricity and gas over to ESB Electric Ireland.

BTW, if you're fed up waiting to get through to someone on the phone, just PM me your name and phone number and I'll arrange for an agent to call you back.

Thanks,

David.

Thanks David. I sent you a PM..;)

If theres an amount outstanding to airtricity does that have to be paid before switching? I understand if it does but the thought if giving them another cent angers me given the ridiculous hassle I have had from them so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi banshee_bones

If there is any remaining balance, it would be best to discuss that with Airtricity. But you can still make the switch to ESB Electric Ireland in the meantime, if you wish.

(Just to note: The MRSO is the central independent body that is responsible for any change of supplier process or request).

Una

I have had a very smooth changeover thanks to David here. I phoned Airtricity the other evening and after waiting 45 Minutes I was assured I would be refunded my credits.

Also David sent me a 1850 number for ESB Networks as I needed a new meter box. I rang the number expecting a long menu with a long wait but to my shock a lovley lady answered the phone!!!!!:):)

One other thing the other Reps on the other Talk to forums here should visit this one to see a job done to perfection. Well done folks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tippx

Had the option to switch to Airtricity when we moved into new apartment, biggest mistake ever for a saving of what 10%? have had nothing but trouble since. Seriously considering switching back, so was wondering how do we go about this?
    Man are they the worst company since that tv cable company forget the name
    I switched to airtricy the saving is not worth the hassle I had a constant stream of letters comming through the door I owed them 30 euros they came all heavy were going to cut you of plus if you miss a payment they want a 300 deposit for the DD like if you cant pay 30 then I got a bill for 330 I ****ed them of on the phone paid the 30 and went back to board gais pay your 10 or 20 each week in the post office they never hassle you f,,, the 10% i would rather my peace of mind

stop, they are worse than ntl. every second letter is telling me the order has gone through for us to be disconnected, SO not worth the savings. and i have been kept on hold for at least 20 minutes each time trying to phone them. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tippx

stop, they are worse than ntl. every second letter is telling me the order has gone through for us to be disconnected, SO not worth the savings. and i have been kept on hold for at least 20 minutes each time trying to phone them. :mad:
    one would be more adapt to conversing on the humble street with them ,rather than on the phone,they seem to be quite visible in their sporting yellow jackets( something the queen would say to you:D )and usually young ,I bet there,s a good scam the way their paying those kids commision for flogging their s...t

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I have had a very smooth changeover thanks to David here. I phoned Airtricity the other evening and after waiting 45 Minutes I was assured I would be refunded my credits.

Also David sent me a 1850 number for ESB Networks as I needed a new meter box. I rang the number expecting a long menu with a long wait but to my shock a lovley lady answered the phone!!!!!:):)

One other thing the other Reps on the other Talk to forums here should visit this one to see a job done to perfection. Well done folks.:)

Thanks so much for the compliment Corkie, you've made my day (and week)! :)

People who take the time to make their appreciation felt - it can make such a difference! Gestures like that really deserve the compliments... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I'm thinking about moving back to ESB,I've had nothing with hassle with Airtricity for the past 2 years.Took 2 months to get a final bill from my last place,they keep sending me texts/emails and letters saying I owe them money even though I don't.If I switch will it be going on for months and months? :(

I'm also assuming no deposit is required by ye guys if I'm switching to your SuperSaver plan

Hi TestTransmission,
    I'm thinking about moving back to ESB,I've had nothing with hassle with Airtricity for the past 2 years.Took 2 months to get a final bill from my last place,they keep sending me texts/emails and letters saying I owe them money even though I don't.If I switch will it be going on for months and months? frown.gif

The switching process can take up to 20 working days if you provide a meter reading (but is usually completed sooner). If you were to switch today, it could be a week or thereabouts before you receive confirmation, but the switch would be backdated (or retro-activated) to today's date.

Whether or not you would still receive correspondence from Airtricity would be beyond our control, and would need to be discussed with them directly. However, it isn't necessary to inform Airtricity of the switch itself, as the process is handled by a central operator (the MRSO) who mediate between all suppliers.
    I'm also assuming no deposit is required by ye guys if I'm switching to your SuperSaver plan

Absolutely right - no deposit required. :)

Thanks,

David.

Just had another phonecall asking me for money again,they're blaming a clerical error with their system.I'm making the move tonight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

tippx wrote: »
    one would be more adapt to conversing on the humble street with them ,rather than on the phone,they seem to be quite visible in their sporting yellow jackets( something the queen would say to you:D )and usually young ,I bet there,s a good scam the way their paying those kids commision for flogging their s...t

To be honest, with the terrible PR they're getting, I feel sorry for the sales people. I guess my own posts haven't helped! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

after reading this thread last week I decided to give esb a call but after waiting 10ish minutes without an answer I just went to the site and added my number to the call me back section. A week later and I've still heard nothing from them but I have had five marketing survey calls from private numbers in the same space of time, which is new to me. can only surmise that my number came straight out of the bin. thanks esb.

Hi zxy,

Sorry to hear that you have been hassled by unsolicited phone calls; we can assure you however that ESB Electric Ireland upholds a strict policy of never passing on customer details to 3rd parties. I would recommend you contact ComReg (Commission for Communications Regulation) to have this investigated.
    zxy wrote:
    ...I decided to give esb a call but after waiting 10ish minutes without an answer I just went to the site and added my number to the call me back section. A week later and I've still heard nothing from them...

Our apologies for the delay; we are experiencing a significant backlog in callbacks at present. If you PM me your details I can look after setting up the discounts for you.

Thanks,

David.

I made the move over 3 weeks ago and haven't received any correspondence/notifications from ESB.Should this be the case?

Hi TestTransmission,

We are working through a backlog at the moment, but if you PM me your details I can have a look and make sure all's ok.

Thanks,

David.

Hi TestTransmission,

We are working through a backlog at the moment, but if you PM me your details I can have a look and make sure all's ok.

Thanks,

David.

If theres a backlog,ill wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 redeye101

tippx wrote: »

Interesting you have this view. My girlfriends' friend has worked with them since leaving school over 2 years ago. She rarely sees her anymore. Apparently their sales teams are set up in a certain are have been described a bit of a cult! They all live together, go out together and travel in packs around areas trying to sell you this "chepaer" electricity. You may be saving money but in other ways these are costing you more in stress and phone waiting times! Plus keep it Irish... they have minimal Irish operations just sales and what they call "customer service" (Their umbrella company Scottish and Southern Energy is UK based)...

Advertisement