Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blown insulation into an existing insulated wall

• 05-04-2011 5:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

so existing dwelling
    current wall build up
    white sand render
    100 block
    50 air
    65 eps insulation
    100 block
    35mm insulated plasterboard

what do people think of blowing expanded polystyrene beads into the air cavity ( this has probably been asked before )

ive done a condensation risk analysis for it ( as much as i can, i cant find blown beads on the material list so i substituted expanded polystyrene, i know theres bound to be a percentage of an error involved but ive gone thru a variety of materials and thicknesses and condensation is still only occurring on the inside face of the external wall )

condensation occurs on the inside face of the external wall .. as it does under current construction apparently.. but there is no danger of mould growth apparently in either construction

there actually looks to be marginally more condensation occurring under the present construction.. but it occurs in an air cavity so shouldnt be any great problem

so, do i trust that the blown bead insulation will not carry moisture ( be it penetrating rain or condensation ) across the cavity to the existing insulation, from what i gather wet insulation boards are worse than useless
    this is the crux of the issue..

does anyone have any experience , has anyone already done this and can they see any improvement

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

woody1 wrote: »
    ive done a condensation risk analysis for it

may i ask what software did you use? and how did you find it, time to learn it etc

what are the other parameters ie, exposed site, damp site, any probs at the moment.

for what its worth imo the better Bead products seem ok, BUT DONT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT OR THE CONTRACTORS get the:
    • correct guarentees
    • and insurances,
    • followed by a thermal image (before and after)
    you could always do a bit of research and stick a humidity monitor into the cavity ( costs about 50€) and if you have the patience for the analysis software then this imo would be the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

sorry brian , i didnt see your question till now, i used the build-desk u software, a trial version,
    never used it or anything of this type before and i found it very easy to pick up..

site is very exposed.. not coastal..but there is pretty much nothing between it and the west coast approx 25 miles away..
    no site isnt damp
    there are no signs internally of any damp related problems

there is one issue with cracking white-sand render..basically a bad plastering job..hairline cracks only this makes me nervous of the beads as well, no fault of the beads themselves but i dont want them getting any wetter than they need to be

yeah the moisture meter is an interesting idea..could do that in a few spots.. and see what comes up... unfortunately and somewhat ironically seening as im trying to save money, i dont see us doing this anytime soon as we dont have the money to do it anymore, really annoying situation where you need to spend to save but dont have the initial spending money, but we'll have to buy kerosene at some stage instead..mental isnt it..

had a couple of installers down looking at it and they wont guarantee anything because of the insulation already in the cavity, they cant guarantee the quality of the installation of this insulation, which is fair enough as they cant see it...

Advertisement