Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Text messages being delivered, but call going to Voice Mail

Options
  • 05-04-2011 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi there,

O2 network.
    Why are text messages being delivered, but when I try calling the number, the call goes straight in to voice mail?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

You can set all calls to go straight to voice mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

When you say going straight to voicemail, are you referring to your own phone or the phone belonging to the person sending you text messages?

Once a phone is switched on it will receive text messages but if the user has activated 'call forwarding' to voicemail, an incoming phone call will be immediately routed to voicemail the same as if the phone was switched off.

An example of where people do this would be if someone was attending a meeting and wanted to be able to receive text messages but not incoming calls. Another example is if someone goes on holidays and doesn't want to receive incoming (roaming) calls which involve a cost for the receiving phone.

Text and Voice are two completely separate functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭edenbridge146

Yeah, the person I have sent the text message to.
    The message gets delivered and then when I try ringing it goes to voice mail.
    Try ringing again and get a ringing tone!
    Could it be possible the phone is out of coverage or call waiting off?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Probably not.

On a lot new smartphones you can choose what contacts you want to receive calls from, or in other devices a blocked caller list.

Incoming call hits the recipients phone, does a look up and immediately forwards to VM. Is there is 4 to 5 seconds on the connection to VM this.is.most likely the case.

If not they may of as above forwarded all to voicemail if they don't wish to be disturbed.

If SMS are delivering the Networks MSC knows were the handset is so its.not coverage.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭edenbridge146

The call divert function is only available to Bill pay phones.

This is calling a 'pay as you go' phone.

Any other suggestions as to how text messages are being delivered, however when you ring, the call goes straight to voice mail without ringing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The call could be going to voice because your friend is on a call and doesn't have 'Call Waiting' enabled, or he could be going in and out of coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

SMS deliveries are retried, and SMS can be delivered in signal conditions that aren't good enough to hold a call. This means someone going in and out of signal can receive messages, but not calls.

"Delivered" on an SMS is not "Read". It just means that the phone you sent the message to has received the message. There's no way to see that a message has been opened, deleted, or read. The person you're contacting could have their phone on silent, or could be in another room from the phone, or the phone could be lost.

... or, to put it bluntly, they might not want to talk to you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Higgsy

Hi,

I have an 02 pay as you go phone. I am not able to send messages to a Dutch KPN (Hi) phone, I can call them no problem. The message seems to be sent from my phone and I have tried other Dutch phones on other networks, there are no problems.

Any ideas of what could be causing this or how I who/how I could raise this issue with?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisement