Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to castleknock.. info on the area

Options
  • 05-04-2011 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

hi, moving to castle knock next week but dont' know the area at all. does anyone know where the supermarkets are in the area, banks, and what is the best public transport to use.

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

its one of the most sought after areas in dublin, very middle to upper class. there is a railway station as well as buses into the city and plenty of shops/banks ect... in the village

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If ANYONE even thinks about thinking about stepping out of line in this thread, there will be month long bans, so no-one can say you weren't warned.

The first person to step out of line gets one month
    The second person gets two.
    The rest get permanent bans.

Zero tolerance, thanks.

Now, carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

mollybird wrote: »
    hi, moving to castle knock next week but dont' know the area at all. does anyone know where the supermarkets are in the area, banks, and what is the best public transport to use.

thanks.

Close to Phoenix Park

I find the train better then the bus.

Make sure to visit Blanchardstown Library - it is an excellent facility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

Hey there isnt any major supermarkets or banks in C'nock village itself (that I am aware of). For supermarkets Superquinn & Tescos you would need to go to blanchardstown village & roselawn, for dunnes or lidl then head to the Blanchardstown S.C.

For banks there is 3 or 4 in blanch village and around 2 in the blanch s.c.

Restaurant wise the mandarin castle is good; never been to wongs. There is a new asian restaurant open. There is a pub called Myos but I havent been there either so cant comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

i think castleknock really depends on your circumstances and what you'd like

I like the place

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I agree about the restaurants, not a bad selection in Castleknock village itself. Blanch library is a wonderful facility. For shopping, go to the Blanch town Centre. there is a Lidl there also. Tescos is in Roselawn Shopping Centre. It depends what end of Castleknock you are talking about, but if you are nearer the Phoenix Park end, then there is a Superquinn at Rathbourne. Superquinn is in Blanch village also. I'm not too familiar with the supermarkets around Laurel Lodge/Carpenterstown.

The bus can take a while to get into town. The train seems to be very popular, though I hear it gets packed in the mornings.

You're not too far from the Phoenix Park, a great resource. I love the coffee shop at the Ashtown Visitors Centre. There is a lovely walled garden & fairly new children's playground there too.

Enjoy Castleknock!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭donaghs

Nice suburb. As with most areas in Dublin with higher property values than surrounding areas, it has grown in size somewhat, compared with the original village between the Phoenix Park and whats now the M50. So where you are in Castleknock is can affect how close you are to various facilities.

e.g. the train station is about half way between Blanchardstown and Castleknock village. Roselawn Shopping Centre (Tesco), is considered Castleknock, but is closer to Blanchardstown village.
    As mentioned earlier, good facilities there - but the actual village is quite small. Only supermarket is a Spar. Has a good pub though and some nice restaurants.

Nice local amenities, Blanchardstown Shopping centre (huge - cinema, mcdonalds, Lidl, dunnes, etc etc), Phoenix Park, Farmleigh, Royal Canal walk, etc. Close to M50, M3, M4, and relatively close to the Airport on the M50/M1. Good bus and train links to town, and could even cycle in. Not much in the way of nightlife apart from restaurants and pubs, but close enough to town for that.

Advertisement