Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom's Zyxel Router and the iPhone

• 05-04-2011 6:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Recently took delivery of a new router/modem and so far I haven't been having the problems others seem to have had. Touch wood that it continues.

But one issue I have noticed is that my iPhone seems to keep losing wifi connectivity. I've read that it may be to do with Mac Filtering. Can anyone confirm this? In my Mac Filtering option on the router it says 'Deny Association' with an 'Edit' option beside it. When I click into 'Edit' the 'Active MAC Filter' box is not ticked and 'deny' is selected. All of those are the default settings.

Can someone who uses this router successfully with an iPhone take pity on me and let me know what I need to do, or at least tell me what your equivalent settings are.

Thanks in advance.
    Brophs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Can you connect and surf at all? If you can and it keeps dropping out after a few moments then its not MAC filtering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

ironclaw wrote: »
    Can you connect and surf at all? If you can and it keeps dropping out after a few moments then its not MAC filtering.

Cheers for the response.

Yep. I can connect fine it just seems to drop the connection after a while, every so often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

brophs wrote: »
    Cheers for the response.

Yep. I can connect fine it just seems to drop the connection after a while, every so often.

I'm having the very same problem but with UPC fine one minute then I see the router reset it's self all the lights go out then come back on.

I have a guy coming out tomorrow for the third time will post back with any useful info if I get any ",

Sorry, I should clarify, it's only the iPhone (well, two iPhones) losing the wireless connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭zenit

I have had the same problem with iPhone and iPad. It seems to be an issue with the Zyxel Modem and apple equipment. There are several threads on Boards about this, try the search option. From experience Eircom don't want to know, so I reverted to an old modem I had from BT I think it is a Netopia. Problem solved. Now the first chance I get to move away from Eircom I will be taking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

So glad someone else brought this up!

I am having the same issue with my ipod touch and ipad. Infact the ipad has been rendered almost unusable because of it and I can no longer watch any streaming or listen to radio on the ipod.

Eircoms solution was to switch security from WPA to WEP. It does seem to increase speeds according to speedtest.net but it does not prevent the connection dropping or the stalls in working.

Has anyone bought a router they consider to be good with PCs but also particularly compatible with Apple equipment?
    At this stage I'm not even too worried about price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

This is what I would do.

Turn off everything in the house using wifi.

Turn off wifi on your iPad/iPhone/iPod.

Unplug your router/wireless modem.

Once it has restarted turn the wifi back on your iPhone, then iPad.

Now everything else.

Worked for me.

Unfortunately none of those worked. But there was a new symptom this morning. The iPhone wasn't even recognising the wireless network despite the fact my laptop was connected. A reboot of the iPhone did nothing. A reboot of the router and the iPhone picked up the wireless signal again.

This is very irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Same Problem here

I told the iPhone to forget the Wireless network and reconfigured it again on the phone and it worked

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Spent half an hour on the phone to Eircom's support team this morning, after which they gave me an answer. However the answer was to a question or problem I explicitly said I didn't have at least three times. Then he came up with the inspired suggestion to change the wireless channel. That didn't work either but I don't think I can be arsed to call back.

Deep Though.....will try that just in case it does something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

Hi

I have had the exact same problem with a BT wireless router where for years there was no problem than out of nowhere my iPhone 3Gs just started losing the connection.

Sometimes it works fine and others it just can't see the network or comes back with "can't connect to the network", and other times it starts asking me to enter the WEP key again - oddly enough on the other two wireless networks I use there is no such problems.

Its very annoying, and I've gone through all the steps you mentioned, but lately the connection has been ok. From what I remember when trying to fix the problem, I think it was something to do with one of the iOS updates - heres a Google search that might help you solve your problem: http://www.google.ie/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=iphone+losing+wireless+signal

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭cork_south

brophs wrote: »
    Hi all,

Recently took delivery of a new router/modem and so far I haven't been having the problems others seem to have had. Touch wood that it continues.

But one issue I have noticed is that my iPhone seems to keep losing wifi connectivity. I've read that it may be to do with Mac Filtering. Can anyone confirm this? In my Mac Filtering option on the router it says 'Deny Association' with an 'Edit' option beside it. When I click into 'Edit' the 'Active MAC Filter' box is not ticked and 'deny' is selected. All of those are the default settings.

Can someone who uses this router successfully with an iPhone take pity on me and let me know what I need to do, or at least tell me what your equivalent settings are.

Thanks in advance.
    Brophs

Sorry to drag up an old thread but did anyone find a solution to the iphone issue? I am having the exact same problem.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77280797&postcount=299

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

They are rubbish routers, I stopped using mine after a month and went back to the grey eircom ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

cork_south wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but did anyone find a solution to the iphone issue? I am having the exact same problem.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77280797&postcount=299

New router is the only answer. After months on the phone to eircom support monkeys I finally just bought one and the problem was resolved immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 clarkdav

got the same problem. what make of router did you buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

+1 on that router. I bought it not too long after I got the zyxel router from eircom.

I bought this N300 WIRELESS ADSL2 + MODEM ROUTER. Got set up ok but performance is worse than my old eircom router. Any ideas why that might be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Soarer

clarkdav wrote: »
    I bought this N300 WIRELESS ADSL2 + MODEM ROUTER. Got set up ok but performance is worse than my old eircom router. Any ideas why that might be?

Ah don't say that!

I just bought an N300 thinking it'd be a step up from the N150 linked above, but now.....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Surely anything is better than that eircom piece of shoite?

• Advertisement

well, just ran the eircom speed test on my old zyxel and am getting 6.1Mb/s download and 0.27Mb/s upload. Then switched to the new NetGear one and I get 3.85Mb/s download and 0.04Mb/s upload.

Did you input all of the Eircom settings properly?

Yes. Just checked it all again on the eircom website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Surely anything is better than that eircom piece of shoite?

Its pretty much all the same internals folks. Just branding and firmware.

Found this in one of the Netgear forums ...

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=61618&page=2

1. Go into the admin web-page
    2. Goto Advanced --> QoS Setup
    3. Disable "Enable WMM.." and Disable "Turn Internet Access OoS On"
    4. Enable "Turn of Bandwidth Control on" and set the uplink bandwidth to 1021kps (as this is all I have)
    5. Click Apply - and presto!

Seems to have sorted out my problems.

Advertisement