Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo submission rejected for 'insensitivity'

• 05-04-2011 6:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

I wanted to share this with everyone as it has absolutely baffled me. I sincerely hope I'm not alone in thinking this is nothing but utter PC madness.

A friend of mine gave me a heads up that this week's Gizmodo Shooting Challenge was themed 'Lego'. Given my unhealthy obsession with Lego I was, naturally, well up for making a submission.

It took me about two hours to set this up, but I eventually came up with this:

5579615247_cb0004b643_z.jpg
    End of Days by Stephen_J_OM, on Flickr

Pretty happy with the outcome, I sent it off.

A little earlier, I received this email:
    Hey, this is Mark Wilson from Gizmodo.

I just wanted to let you know that we received your submission for the
    LEGO Shooting Challenge. Technically, it was very well executed.

However, we're not going to include it in our galleries as we feel it
    would be insensitive given the current circumstances in Japan.

Best,
    Mark Wilson
    Founder, Panoramic Media
    Contributor, Gizmodo

I was completely taken aback, and at first I thought it so absurd I was a little amused. But an hour or so later, I was pretty damn incensed. It took quite a bit of will to send a measured reply, but in the end I managed this:
    Mark,

I have to say I'm quite taken aback by your email, even mildly offended. This photo was in no way intended to make light of the tragedy in Japan, and I take exception to the implication that it does. Moreover, I do not believe that even a minor percentage of viewers would make that connection. The only thing on my agenda for taking the photo was to create a decent submission that combined my love of photography, Lego, and fantasy and I believe I achieved that. It's a shame that a fantastical depiction of the friggin' zombie apocalypse can be considered insensitive to one of the most devastating earthquakes and tsunamis in history, but I guess that's the PC-gone-mad world we live in.

Regards,

Stephen.

I'm still quite annoyed that they'd interpret my submission in this way, it has truly baffled me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

To be honest, I thought of Japan too when I saw your pict.

Under the current circumstances, and the ongoing incident there with the nuclear plant, I would have to agree with the editor.

Sorry.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Great pic, didn't think of any Japan relatedness until you mentioned it and then kind of though, "Hmm, well I guess maybe a little but not really, only suit is a tad bit related but no one is suggesting that the Japanese are turning into zombie mutants."

Really like the pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

The Japanese disaster did come to my mind when I saw the radiation suit?
    I guess they are worried about how their readers might perceive the picture? But still should have been submitted under the theme that it was "Lego"?
    nice pic regardless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Thanks for the replies guys, I was anxious to see if anyone else saw the photo in that way.

The editor just sent another email after my reply, and in fairness he sent a well reasoned and decent reply back.

I answered by saying that I still didn't agree with the connection but respect that he has to think of such circumstances as an editor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

The editor is the racist in this scenario. He sees a yellow person, he automatically thinks of Japan. Despicable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Sorry, I too after about 10 seconds looking at it without reading the full narrative (read up to the image), thought of the Japan thing.

That said the thread title 'insensitivity' probably had my guard up. I can understand perhaps them jumping to a certain conclusion albeit incorrect. Should that bar it from inclusion? IMHO, no if it were a competition which was based on artistic endeavour.

Gawker Media, who I understand run Gizmodo and are responsible for the competition are however ultimately trying to make a bottom line and I'm guessing do not want to flaunt controversy or put themselves in any 'space' that could adversely impact on that. They won't want to even take a risk. They are not motivated by artistic endeavour.

They do state that they reserve the right to censor so are within their self appointed rights. I thought it noble of them to make contact with you, and think your response was measured. I wouldn't loose sleep over it, but completely understand how you feel on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Really? People instantly thought of Japan when they seen Lego Zombies attacking a Lego Man?

I must be rather insensitive, because i certainly didnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Was thinking of japan when I first looked.

If you removed the radiation symbol it should solve that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

yep - it's just the radiation symbol that's the issue i'm sure. i immediately thought of Japan too - sorry..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Lego
    Zombies
    Hazmat suit
    Gore

Japan
    Earthquake
    Tsunami
    Nuclear power plant explosion
    Radiation

Hmmm, I didn't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

I agree with the editor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

1st thing I thought of was zombie movie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Having said that, their resulting gallery is full of possible insensitivities so i'm less convinced of their virtues and their approach to impartial censorship. Buildings on fire, industrial accidents, figures decapitated, etc... nothing offensive I don't think but nothing more than could be construed with your image.

I think as its their competition they should have the say on what goes in and what doesn't but if their values as both individuals and a corporate organisation are virtuous they should discharge this with evenness and consistency. I don't find consistency in their selection - nothing Japan related, but i'm sure there are buildings burning somewhere around the world, there are industrial accidents happening in places presently, etc...

So, I update my view to think that in the overall context of what Gizmodo are presenting, that they've been a bit harsh on you on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I actually intially thought of Dead Set, considering the set up and zombies alone. The only alternate thoughts I had afterwards were of Ripley in the power-loader in Aliens. Japan didn't even enter my mind and, to be honest, I still don't see it. Sure, there's a radiation hazard symbol on the figure, but then there's also about thirty of them at my job so maybe I'm just used to seeing them.
    To be fair, if the radiation symbol alone is what's swinging it for them (and I can't see anything else in that picture being relevant, unless there actually is a zombie apocolypse going on that I haven't heard about) then I'd feel it is just as aggrieved. Where is the line drawn between something sort of/possibly/slightly/kind-of invoking thoughts of a disaster which is blasted at us from every media source already and just taking it for what it is? Maybe inquire if removing the symbol would be enough to distance from the disaster and resubmit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Lego...Zombies...Japan?

I'm with the OP on this one, it is a little PC gone mad.

The basis of many horror B-movie is radiation creating Zombies and I'd imagine that this is where the inspiration came from. The idea that this was in reference to the devastation in Japan is just...crazy?

Would a seascape scene, which included waves, be rejected from a landscape competition because of the Tsunami?

All of our sympathies go out to the people in Japan, what they must be going through is unimaginable. But this is a fun and bright pic with a playful b-movie theme.

For me, it was the radiation symbol that got me.

http://www.safetysignsupplies.co.uk/product/radiation-symbol-in-warning-triangle~8080.html

If this had been a poison symbol or something else, I think you would have been ok with it.

http://www.wpclipart.com/signs_symbol/safety_signs/safety_signs_2/safety_sign_poison.png.html

Not saying I agree or disagree, but I can see the editor's view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Excellent photo. Love it.
    Didn't think of Japan at all when I seen it to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Just looking through the other entries ...

3. Looks like it could have been depicting a car crash
    4. Looks like someone being tortured
    5. Largescale fire
    6. A gang getting ready to commit acts of violence

All could be related back to horrific happenings!

Actually, to take it as PC as your pic was interpreted ... entry 8 could be deemed insensitive to people who lost friends/family in the Challenger disaster in 1986

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Nothing "insensitive" about it at all OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

When I saw the photo, my initial reaction was that, while technically well done, I didnt understand what was going on. I assumed it was a depiction of some well known (at least by the cognoscenti) scene from some movie or whatnot.
    I really didn't see anything that could cause offence.

Even now, apart from the radiation symbol, I still dont get it. Nevertheless, as one of the above posters mentioned - Gizmodo isnt going to risk offending anybody ....

• Advertisement

Ask them if you photoshop the radioactive logo out and re-submit will they accept it?

If you had two buildings and an airplane in the background, it'd be fine. But if it were in September 2001, then people would look at it and think that the airplane in the background is supposed to be hitting the building, even if it was nowhere near it.

People can be very touchy and sensitive about ongoing events, and so I do completely understand where the editor is coming from. I'd say, upon removing the radioactive symbol, you'd be fine though.

Japan never came into my head when i seen the image first, but once it was mentioned, I did see the connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

It's PC gone mad !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Japan never came into my head when i seen the image first, but once it was mentioned, I did see the connection.

Same here. No idea what the site is, but if it is likely that people from Japan might frequent it, then your image might resonate differently with them from us, who are distanced from it all.
    It's the radiation symbol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Even at that, I don't see the issue. Ok, there's a radiation hazard symbol on his suit. Does every photo with that decal count as insensitive? When a fire happens, how long until we get to use images of fire again without being "insensitive"? Are all surfing posts suspended when a tidal storm or tsunami hits somewhere? It needs context for there to be a legitimate connection, and there's none relating in that picture.
    I could understand if, in the background, there was a large, roofless and cracked building producing a green glow which was bearing the hazard symbol, but all I'm seeing there is a character in a suit surrounded by zombies. It could be anywhere, any time.

You could always play with them and replace the decal with a lambda symbol and tell them it's the Ravenholm level from Half-Life 2. If that reference isn't enough legitimate distance from their worries then they're just covering their ass and nothing will sway them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Half the people in this thread are loopy. :rolleyes:

Half the people in this thread are loopy. :rolleyes:

Maybe so... But which half? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

The PC half.

What about the Mac half? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Mark Wilson from Gizmodo... we feel it
    would be insensitive given the current circumstances in Japan.

lolwut?

Honestly, I thought it might of been some cwazy yank getting worked up by your token black dude, even that was a stretch. But the Japanese disaster? The mind boggles.

But I guess this thread is proof enough that they would of received some complaints from the PC brigade, so the editor was probably prudent in his decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

What an absolute pile of balls, is the radiation symbol the new swastika now? Maybe all the Simpsons episodes with Homer at work should be pulled now, just in case.

It's rubbish like this which has turned the term and the idea of political correctness into a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

jesus op, way to be insensitive to all those poor ukranians!

1986 is still living memory you know

It seems to be "in" to be "anti-politically correct".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Who are you quoting? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

I don't see anything wrong with the picture at all, never thought about Japan looking at it until i read the commentary after it. Its like something from Shaun of the dead or 27 days.

To be honest OP, i'd be really pi55ed off because its a pretty cool shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Instantly thought of Japan but that was influenced by the thread title - suggesting there may be an insensitive image to follow - sensitivity usually relates to a recent event. This doesn't mean I agree that the image was insensitive or in bad taste... it's lego.

Would I have instantly made the connection without the thread title, probably not... but that'll change once the ninjazombies start showing up.

• Advertisement

Thanks again for the replies everyone.

I may be clinically blind, but I actually didn't even notice that he had the nuclear symbol on his hazmat suit (I only got him on Friday, prior to taking the photo). Before purchasing I was under the impression that he was sporting the 'biohazard' symbol - I wonder if that would have made a difference?

It's also worth noting that I posted this photo in the toy thread here on Friday - I'd love to know if anybody saw it and made that connection without the context of this thread title.
    Ask them if you photoshop the radioactive logo out and re-submit will they accept it?

Nah, that is the very last thing I'd do tbh. I worked very hard to set this shot up, and I'm happy with how I executed it. I don't want to go chopping up my work to get in line with their take on it, which is what I believe to be an over-reaction.

Having being alerted to the nuclear symbol last night I did start to second guess myself, but after sleeping on it I'm back to my original stance. I'm a horror movie buff, and this is an homage to the dozen or so zombie films that sit on my shelf, nothing more. I can't change other peoples' perceptions but hey, this is as subjective an art form as they come.

Thanks again for the replies everyone.

I may be clinically blind, but I actually didn't even notice that he had the nuclear symbol on his hazmat suit (I only got him on Friday, prior to taking the photo). Before purchasing I was under the impression that he was sporting the 'biohazard' symbol - I wonder if that would have made a difference?

I think if it had have been a bio-hazard symbol, you would have been fine.

But, last week, a number of workers at the Japanese nuclear plant, working on cleanup, were contaminated when radioactive water got in to their boots.

So, from your image - legs/feet damaged/melted, radiation suit on guy coming in .... might be a bit raw still over the event.

Other than that, I really like the photo, but again, I can see why the editor made the decision.

While I still believe it's a tenuous link at bestt, I've also come around to seeing the editor's point of view. Within a sample size of 20-30 people who've commented here, there have been some that have seen the connection. So I guess it's fair to assume that with a publication the size of Gizmodo, there would have been a lot more people that saw it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Saw the blood and guts representation and noticed the radioactive sign and got hungry for some microwave dinners...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Having being alerted to the nuclear symbol last night I did start to second guess myself, but after sleeping on it I'm back to my original stance. I'm a horror movie buff, and this is an homage to the dozen or so zombie films that sit on my shelf, nothing more. I can't change other peoples' perceptions but hey, this is as subjective an art form as they come.

Exactly what I said...
    K_user wrote: »
    The basis of many horror B-movie is radiation creating Zombies and I'd imagine that this is where the inspiration came from.
    There are times in life when there is nothing like a good b-movie! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the way the editor is looking at this is that this would probably be seen in a country dealing with 20,000 dead or missing and massive concerns over public health due to radiation leaks.
    so from our perspective, yes it is a oversensitive, but he's probably not worried about our reaction, but about the fact that gizmodo is viewable in japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Great - first time in years I've been "in". So long can't remember the last time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

What an absolute pile of balls, is the radiation symbol the new swastika now? Maybe all the Simpsons episodes with Homer at work should be pulled now, just in case.

It's rubbish like this which has turned the term and the idea of political correctness into a joke.

doh

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/TV/03/28/simpsons.nuclear.jokes.ew/

It's also worth noting that I posted this photo in the toy thread here on Friday - I'd love to know if anybody saw it and made that connection without the context of this thread title.

Necronomicon, I saw your pic in the toy thread. I copped on that they were zombies, allright, but since I was 15 when I last saw a zombie movie, I had no idea or recollection that they had any connection with radiation. So on seeing the symbol I thought either you couldn't find a different toy so had settled for that one despite the symbol, or that there was another meaning to it that I didn't get.
    I didn't make the connection with Japan. But I'm pretty sure if I was living within 500km of a leaking nuclear power plant, or anyone from my family was, I would have. And being ignorant about zombies and their "conception", I would probably have thought they were not zombies, just people dying in horrible circumstances.

Only guessing we all agree on here that images can pass on a message, albeit not always the message intended, so really I am surprised at the reaction on boards.

I can see your point of view Necronomicon, I would probably be outraged myself getting an email like that, but I do see the point of the editor. It's not like anyone is forbidding you to post your image anywhere else after all, just that this editor deems it right to keep it out of this particular competition.
    Great pic by the way, I particularly like the... legs ?

Advertisement