Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Brother confirmed for Channel 5 return

Options
  • 05-04-2011 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,881 ✭✭✭✭

It's coming back.. but very little details so far:
    Channel 5 has confirmed that it has signed a deal to air Endemol reality show Big Brother.

More details to follow...

Source: DigitalSpy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A complete revamp could be a very good thing. Move away from the freakshow of previous years and fill it with interesting characters who can hold a flippin' conversation.

Is that too much to ask? Probably. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Its Channel 5...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Its Channel 5...

I expect TV3 will cut a deal with them to broadcast it on 3e here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Apparently they are look for a new host. Guess who they have approached, and offered her big money...... CHERYL COLE (no end to that girls talents :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bet TV3 will snap it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Apparently they are look for a new host. Guess who they have approached, and offered her big money...... CHERYL COLE (no end to that girls talents :rolleyes:)

This was proven not to be true from her agent. My bets are on Emma Willis or the 'face' of Channel 5 Kate Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

I actually do have faith in Channel 5 to no doubt make it a tawdry, disgusting, trash show. Bring it on. What I'm worried about is the presentation. While a bigger and better advertising campaign is needed the C4 presentation of the show was spot on apart from the final year. Keep all the weird techy soundbites and graphics. Marcus Bentley is a C4 bloke though. We're going to loose his voice :(.

The other thing is would anyone even watch it. I see ratings being just as bad or worse than they were on Channel 4 - even though they really weren't that bad even in it's dying days. It wasn't a huge show anymore but it brought in 2.5 a night, way above the C4 average, for a fraction of the cost it takes to produce a drama that can do the same numbers once a week.

From a common sense standpoint the amount of overkill they plan on doing is sheer madness. A celeb series in August, a main series of 13 weeks in September, and another celeb series in January. However it will be very interesting to see a main series run through winter.

Nice little lead in to Christmas. And straight into the preying jaws of The X-Factor.

Chuck it on at eleven and make it absoloute filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

dmcg90 wrote: »
    This was proven not to be true from her agent. My bets are on Emma Willis or the 'face' of Channel 5 Kate Walsh.

Channel 5 said that they wanted here to host it. There was no confirmation that she'd do it. Who ever does it, it I can only see it lasting one season and then (hopefully) gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

all im worried about is will they be allowed keep the theme tune? best thing about it for years IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Channel 4 lost the run of themselves over the years. Instead of societies misfits, i would like them to only put good looking people on the show that are relatively sane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,258 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Myleene Klass and Emma Willis are to be in the running to host Big Brother on Channel 5.

According to the Daily Express, Klass, Willis and Girls Aloud popstar Cheryl Cole are all in the frame for the role. However, Cole's management have previously ruled her out of the job.

Davina McCall, who presented the show for a decade on Channel 4, has also stated that
    she will not be fronting the on its new home. However, McCall said that the series "has legs" and was a "brilliant part of my life".

She added: "Someone new should present it on a new channel. A fresh start for the show, with me still as its biggest fan looking forward. Exciting!"

Meanwhile, Joanna Lumley, Mohammed Al-Fayed, Amy Childs, James Cracknell, Peaches Geldof, Andy Gray, Martine McCutcheon and Ricky Hatton have all been linked to the first "all-star celebrity" version of the show.

http://www.digitalspy.ie/tv/s149/big-brother/news/a313064/emma-willis-myleene-tipped-to-host-big-brother.html

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Pauleta wrote: »
    Channel 4 lost the run of themselves over the years. Instead of societies misfits, i would like them to only put good looking people on the show that are relatively sane.
    Not a chance. BB4 and 11 were two of the worst seasons of that show because of the amount of relatively normal people in it. The freak show years were the best. It's a trash TV show. It's pointless fighting against that. I don't want to watch normal people having lovely fun and chit chat.

Going back to basics won't work in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Great but erm i dont have C5 and i certainly aint paying for sky!
    And dont think ill be arsed to follow it all online!

What are the chances of upc putiing C5 on there service???
    Could/would 3e/tv3 pick it up?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I think Brian Dowling might be a good choice of presenter, he being a BB veteran.

I wonder if George Lamb will do BBLB again? /drools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Not a chance. BB4 and 11 were two of the worst seasons of that show because of the amount of relatively normal people in it. The freak show years were the best. It's a trash TV show. It's pointless fighting against that. I don't want to watch normal people having lovely fun and chit chat.

Going back to basics won't work in 2011.

BB4 was ruined by the fact that the alpha male in the house was Cameron (who i hated). I didnt think the last one was too bad. Im trying to say that personally i only want to see young, good looking people. C4 just tried to put in every corner of society of all ages.

I want to see the next generation of Nuts magazine hopefulls :D

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Bizzi Lizzy

From Marcus Bently's facebook page :

"I've got no news on BB at the moment guys! I'm chuffed to bits that it's back + on 5! Any news + my followers will be the first to know! XXx"

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marcus-Bentley-the-Voice-of-Big-Brother/143467659024930

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Wonder if TV3 will buy the show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Elmo wrote: »
    Wonder if TV3 will buy the show

See here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056236182

pooch90 wrote: »

Ah! it should fit in nicely with their schedule!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Bizzi Lizzy

They also have their website setup

http://bigbrother.com/

Although all it says at the moment is "Coming soon"

• Advertisement

http://www.digitalspy.ie/tv/s149/big-brother/news/a316535/amanda-byram-i-dont-want-to-be-davina-wannabe.html

Amanda Byram has said that she is wary about taking on the hosting job on Channel 5's Big Brother.
    The Total Wipeout presenter, who has been linked to the returning reality show, claimed that she is concerned about taking over the helm from Davina McCall.
    "I took over from Johnny and Denise on the Big Breakfast and while it was amazing, I just think that comparisons are such a difficult thing," she told DS. "It's like a sequel to a really good film. Who wants to see Titantic 2?
    "I don't know if it's had its day or not. There's definitely a market for it. But I think Davina's fantastic and do you want to be called the Davina wannabe? I don't think anyone can do it as well as she does. Saying that... it depends how much they are offering."

They also have their website setup

http://bigbrother.com/

Although all it says at the moment is "Coming soon"

https://www.bigbrotherauditions.com

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

http://www.digitalspy.ie/tv/s149/big-brother/news/a316533/dom-joly-channel-5-will-ruin-big-brother.html

"I think [Big Brother] will be ruined by Channel 5 if I'm honest. I don't think it will be the same without Davina [McCall]. I think it will become a conveyor belt for OK magazine to produce instant freaks, put them in the mag and then churn them out," he said.

"I expect even more stupidity and breasts. I thought it had reached its maximum breast stupidity level and I did think the last series was the best ever, but... just leave it."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

From a common sense standpoint the amount of overkill they plan on doing is sheer madness. A celeb series in August, a main series of 13 weeks in September, and another celeb series in January. However it will be very interesting to see a main series run through winter.

are those confirmed dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I think over 10 years it ran a good course and really needed to stop when it did, especially bringing it back less than a year after Channel 4 promised the last ever...and that in itself really shows C5 pulling at strings with this one

They did a show last year, a kind of take on Glee, that just bombed completely and they were desperate to find something that would put them back on a ratings par with someone tbh, Channel 5 aren't really making strong connections on UK audiences (never have been really)

They did a show last year, a kind of take on Glee, that just bombed completely and they were desperate to find something that would put them back on a ratings par with someone tbh, Channel 5 aren't really making strong connections on UK audiences (never have been really)

Really just the UK's TV3 without Coronation Street (or a major import). Bring back Family Affairs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Who wants to see Titantic 2?

I do, especially if the trailer is anything to go by

Tiger Woods's alleged mistress Rachel Uchitel is apparently in advanced talks about taking part in Celebrity Big Brother.

Uchitel is one of several women who are rumoured to have had affairs with the US golfer while he was still married to Elin Nordgren.

The 35-year-old model has previously appeared on US reality show Celebrity Rehab, where she battled an addiction to prescription pills

"She'd be dynamite for us. Tiger Woods was the clean man of sport, then this happened," a source told the Daily Star. "Everyone was saying they had romped in Vegas, New York and Oz."

Snoop Dogg, Playboy's Bridget Marquardt and actor Michael Madsen have also been in talks with producers about appearing on the show, according to the tabloid.

Celebrity Big Brother returns in August on Channel 5.

http://www.digitalspy.ie/tv/s150/celebrity-big-brother/news/a324549/tiger-woods-mistress-linked-to-celebrity-big-brother.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Tiger Woods's alleged mistress Rachel Uchitel is apparently in advanced talks about taking part in Celebrity Big Brother.

There's an oxymoron somewhere in that sentence..

I'm hoping it ends up being good on 5, the banter and craic on boards was mighty :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement