Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premium Rate Numbers

Options
  • 05-04-2011 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum. Apologies in advance if it's not.

Somebody might be able to help me. I have a dispute at the minute with Vodafone in relation to phone calls that were allegedly made from my landline to the following numbers at all hours of day and night:

I'm trying to find out what these numbers are or what they're for. I've googled but can't find anything of relevance. I'm sure with prefixes like 1580/90 they're not numbers for the Legion of Mary :D

The start of the calls to these numbers coincided with a letter that vodafone say was sent telling me that unless I returned the letter they would migrate my bills to electronic statements. I never got any such letter nor did my wife.

I have to say in fairness to vodafone that most of the customer services members I spoke to in trying to get to the bottom of this have been quite helpful in as much as they can but they haven't or won't give me details of the phone numbers mentioned above.

Would anyone be able to shed any light on the destination of those numbers?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Somebody might be able to help me. I have a dispute at the minute with Vodafone in relation to phone calls that were allegedly made from my landline to the following numbers at all hours of day and night:

I'm trying to find out what these numbers are or what they're for. I've googled but can't find anything of relevance. I'm sure with prefixes like 1580/90 they're not numbers for the Legion of Mary :D

The start of the calls to these numbers coincided with a letter that vodafone say was sent telling me that unless I returned the letter they would migrate my bills to electronic statements. I never got any such letter nor did my wife.

I have to say in fairness to vodafone that most of the customer services members I spoke to in trying to get to the bottom of this have been quite helpful in as much as they can but they haven't or won't give me details of the phone numbers mentioned above.

Thanks

Do you have an auto-dialler on the line? A monitored alarm? These could be the reasons for calls but alarm monitoring numbers are a local or national number. First thing to do is take every phone off your line. Go to the main socket and make sure there's nothing connected to it only alarm etc and 1 phone. See if that clears the problem before investigating further.
    It may be possible that your line is been used without authorization and by 'using' your line to call those numbers or vodafone are messing with you.

The only way other then google, would be to go to the Guards or Eircom if things get out of hand. Eircom are responsible for the networks for vodafone and will be able to see the problem. Vodafone will contact eircom and eircom can NOT give priority to their own customers on service interruptions without special plans.

It is possible to block those numbers.

It may be possible that someone is interfering with your line and using it to call those numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 miss_sox

Thanks

Hiya I have the exact same problem, no joy from voadfone, numbers poppong up since november of last year, it took my husband to be out of work before I started paying close attention to the bills. These numbers (1590999100, 1590999101, 1590999102) have been costing us on average 50quid a month.

Aparantly its a dialling service to call abroad? I dont have family or friends abroad and dont dial these numbers

I have raised a formal complaint with comreg and vodafone. Did you get anywhere with your issue??

You won't get anything from RegTel.
    Try the NCA.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Do you by any chance have any PCs connected to the phone line using a dial-up modem?

E.g. an old PC that perhaps was used with dial-up internet at one stage, or a PC that you use the modem for sending faxes or for anything like that?

Or, sometimes when a PC has a dial-up modem built-in people connect it to the phone line by default, even though they never use it.

Just check your PC(s) and make sure that there's no direct connection from an RJ11 telephone port on the back of the machine to the phone line.

There were rogue-dialer scams where a virus dialed out and ran up bills.

Next step is to figure out what these lines are, you've two choices.

Options:
    1) Dial them, preferably from a pre-pay mobile phone. It will cost you a few quid, but at least you'll figure out what they are.

To block your caller ID on a mobile, prefix the number with #31#
    On a landline, prefix the number with 141.

2) Call ComReg and ask to speak to someone who deals with premium rate regulation and get a reverse look up done to figure out who the provider is.

If you have modern telephones, check the redial menus / call logs and see if these numbers have actually been dialed too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement