Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up my own email address....

Options
  • 05-04-2011 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping I'm posting this in the correct section....

I'm looking to set up my own email address - i.e shane732@xxxxx.ie

I've come across this website http://www.letshost.ie/hosting/packages which looks like it'll do the job.

I'm wondering if any of you have done this before and if so what company do you use?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Shane732 wrote: »
    I'm hoping I'm posting this in the correct section....

I'm looking to set up my own email address - i.e shane732@xxxxx.ie

I've come across this website http://www.letshost.ie/hosting/packages which looks like it'll do the job.

I'm wondering if any of you have done this before and if so what company do you use?

Thanks

The ending in a website name is called a 'domain' and the ending of that name is called a 'tdl' i.e. Domain=jjjjjj tdl=.ie.

In order to register an irish domain with ending .ie you will have to comply with the iedr policies (domainregistry.ie).

Providers below are some email hosting providers useful for you:

Letshost.ie
    Blacknight.com
    Godaddy.com
    Register365.com
    Host.ie
    Myhost.ie

Hosting providers allows you also to host your own websites on mainly shared servers. You should probably look at the Website Development/Design forum for advice on websites.

Any questions let me know, more then happy to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Thanking you kindly for the reply.

At present I'm only looking for an email address. I'm setting up a small business and would prefer to have my own domain as opposed to using a gmail account.

Having your own domain appears to be reasonably priced.

Which of the providers below would you recommend? Do any/all of them allow me to access my emails through my iphone/outlook etc...

Thanking you kindly for the reply.

At present I'm only looking for an email address. I'm setting up a small business and would prefer to have my own domain as opposed to using a gmail account.

Having your own domain appears to be reasonably priced.

Which of the providers below would you recommend? Do any/all of them allow me to access my emails through my iphone/outlook etc...

I use blacknight and they are fine.

You will require email hosting- you will add a domain name to it while pointing dns servers to that server, the (usually) paid host will provide you will mail servers and emails.

LetsHost provide hosting services which you can use for your own website and custom email. In order to register an .ie domain, you will require documentation or a company registration number.

1. Register a domain name from a domain registrar such as LetsHost or Blacknight.
    2. Set up a hosting account with a host, such as LetsHost or Blacknight.
    3. Add the domain to your hosting account.
    4. Point the DNS servers with your domain registrar to your website hosting account provider.

A hosting provider will usually give you many email addresses to which you name and manage yourself and web space for your own website.

Any questions, just ask!

Edit: I have setup emails and you can use your iphone and possibly setup for gmail too.

Have you considered using Google Apps (link)? It gives you the full Gmail feature set while using your own domain name. I use it for a few of my domains and it works very well. You have to prove to Google that you own the domain (it shows you how) then alter a few DNS records with your regitrar. After that you're good to go. The best part is that it's free for up to 50 email addresses on your domain.

Have you considered using Google Apps (link)? It gives you the full Gmail feature set while using your own domain name. I use it for a few of my domains and it works very well. You have to prove to Google that you own the domain (it shows you how) then alter a few DNS records with your regitrar. After that you're good to go. The best part is that it's free for up to 50 email addresses on your domain.

Forgot to mension this, it is good, but only if you don't have or require a website in the near future. Best part is its like a normal email and its fairly easy to setup.

• Advertisement

You can however use google sites for your website with the google app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

+1 for Google Apps.

Very simple to set up and work. Also free except for the price of the domain which is about €12 per year.

+1 for Google Apps.

Very simple to set up and work. Also free except for the price of the domain which is about €12 per year.

.Com domains range from €6.99 per year upwards.
    As for .ie domains the lowest I have seen is €9.99 per year with letshost promotion. Now anything from €14+ upwards. Best shop around.

Google apps is free but for more emails etc its not free.

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    .Com domains range from €6.99 per year upwards.
    As for .ie domains the lowest I have seen is €9.99 per year with letshost promotion. Now anything from €14+ upwards. Best shop around.

Google apps is free but for more emails etc its not free.

You get 50 email addresses free with Google Apps.

You get 50 email addresses free with Google Apps.

Correct, however if you want more then 50 emails it is not free. Sorry for the confusion.

• Advertisement

Ok so really all I need to do is setup my own domain which will be xxxx@domain.ie.

Once I get the @domain.ie I'll be able to use google apps and run an email address through google apps to run the @domain.ie.

I can buy whatever @domain.ie through a website like letshost.ie and then use google....

Ok so really all I need to do is setup my own domain which will be xxxx@domain.ie.

Once I get the @domain.ie I'll be able to use google apps and run an email address through google apps to run the @domain.ie.

I can buy whatever @domain.ie through a website like letshost.ie and then use google....

Do you need a .ie domain name.

If you want a .com or .net etc you can get everything through https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/domain/new

If you get a .ie address you need to get that from an irish site and then get the domain transferred for Google to manage. Not difficult though.

Do you need a .ie domain name.

If you want a .com or .net etc you can get everything through https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/domain/new

If you get a .ie address you need to get that from an irish site and then get the domain transferred for Google to manage. Not difficult though.

No I don't really need a .ie domain name. I can use a .com name just as easy.

Edit: Just tried the google apps website there and looks grand.

Jez you can set up and run the address form $10 a year?? Wow that's seriously cheap!

It is a bit of a pain to remember to renew the domain every year.

Get the multiple year deal if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Any reason why .ie domains are so expensive when compared with the others?

Any reason why .ie domains are so expensive when compared with the others?

.Ie domains are for ireland, they are the second safest domain tdl after japan. The Irish Domain Registry Set prices which, registrars add to that price to make a profit of reselling the iedr domains.

In my opinion, if you have a business, for visitors trust its important to have a .ie domain and it makes a relationship with your business irish.

http://why.ie

The .ie domains are actually checked and verified.

.com etc are not and anyone can set one up. Here it needs to be approved. Ones that are supposed to look like a business need to have certificate of incorporation from the companies office or other official documentation.

You also cannot use many well known brand names in your domain name.

The extra checking costs but we have ended up with a domain system that is , as the previous poster said, is very trustworthy.

official documentation.

The extra checking costs but we have ended up with a domain system that is , as the previous poster said, is very trustworthy.

<Edit>

Irish .ie domain applications operate in a different way to the registration of other domain names. Irish .ie domain names are awarded by IEDR (Irish Domain Registry) only after you have provided adequate evidence that you are entitled to the domain name you are applying for. Examples of acceptable documentation demonstrating substantial trade or commercial activity within Ireland are as follows:

Copies of invoices (showing trade to or from Ireland), high-quality brochures showing a significant intention to trade in Ireland.

A signed letter on headed paper from a bank manager, chartered accountant(s), registered auditor(s), tax consultant(s) (where the tax advisor identification number is displayed), or solicitor(s) confirming trade with Ireland.

Note that in all cases the domain name you apply for will remain publicly available .ie domains may be registered in any of the following categories:

Personal Name (see IEDR Press Release)
    Corporate Name
    Registered Trade Mark Name
    Registered Business Name
    State Agency Name
    Publication Name
    Educational Institution Name
    Politician's Name
    Unincorporated Association Name
    Personal Trading Name
    Discretionary Name

Hope that helps- you can more information of the requirements of registering at dr.ie

Follow up question:

I've setup an email address with google apps and I'm now looking to set up the email address on Outlook 2010. I've never used outlook 2010 on this laptop.

I've tried to use google apps sync but it's not working for me. It's telling me that my account isn't set up for google apps sync. I've checked and gmail is syaing it's setup.

I'm using the free google apps - does that make a difference? I paid the $10 for a domain name.

Thanks

Would I be correct in saying that google apps sync only works with the business edition or the eduction edition?

Hmm... That kind of sucks.

• Advertisement

You need to enable POP3 for your email. It is in account settings.

Then you can use Outlook. Google have a help section for you. Just Google using Outlook with gmail

Shane

Ok, I've enabled Pop3 and Imap in gmail. I'm able to access the account using my iphone but not outlook. I'm trying to use the following setting in outlook...

Name: my name
    Email Address: shane@domain.com
    Account Type: POP3
    Incoming Mail Server: pop.gmail.com
    Outgoing Server: smtp.gmail.com
    Username: shane@domain.com
    Password: *************

Have I gone wrong somewhere?

What's the difference between POP3 and IMAP?

Got it.

Sorry was on my phone so could not paste a link.

http://www.lytebyte.com/2009/08/11/guide-to-setup-gmail-imap-in-outlook-2010/

Cheers

Shane

Sorry was on my phone so could not paste a link.

http://www.lytebyte.com/2009/08/11/guide-to-setup-gmail-imap-in-outlook-2010/

Cheers

Shane

Shane,

Thank you for your help with this. I have it up and running but my bloody free trial of Microsoft Office 2010 Professional has expired!! :mad: I only have the home and student version. Nothing is ever easy!!

Do you need to use Outlook.

I always prefer to use the gmail web interface.

If you need a client, you could use Mozilla Thunderbird.

Shane

Do you need to use Outlook.

I always prefer to use the gmail web interface.

If you need a client, you could use Mozilla Thunderbird.

Shane

I prefer outlook - I just so used to using it at this stage. I've set it up with Windows Live Mail now which is similar enough to Outlook so that will do for the moment.

Advertisement