Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clouds

• 05-04-2011 8:04pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone else having this problem? Clouds which obscure the areas I want to look at. I've tried everything to get rid of them including trashing and re-installing GE 6.......

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

They're aerial images, so they won't change by reinstalling GE! They try and take the pictures on days that are as cloudless as possible, but you know Ireland - it's tough to find a cloudless day!

But I agree - it is annoying. My aunty's house is completely hidden by clouds, as is most of her street!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Bleeping annoying. Last time I looked there were no clouds at all but now there's a bank of cloud obscuring about 4 square kilometers directly over where I live (at least I think that's where I live!).
    Did Google update the images recently or something? Seems a bit daft to update with poorer images.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I must say though, that where things aren't obscured by clouds, the images are much sharper than they were. Have a look at Donegal - it has practically disappeared under cloud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Try using the birds eye view on bing maps instead - http://www.bing.com/maps/

Many thanks for that Carroller16, but it ain't a patch on GE. Not for me anyway; the resolution is only a fraction of GE - maybe it's because I'm on a Mac?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

for around Ireland this is the best one http://shop.osi.ie/Shop/MapViewer.aspx they are undergoing maintenance at the moment(hopefully updating pics), but its by far the best. (only covers the republic of Ireland)

for around Ireland this is the best one http://shop.osi.ie/Shop/MapViewer.aspx they are undergoing maintenance at the moment(hopefully updating pics), but its by far the best. (only covers the republic of Ireland)

Cheers, looking forward to seeing that when the website is back online

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Agreed, that's an excellent one! The resolution is often better than Google Maps (not sure about now that Google Maps have updated some areas).

There used to be filters at the side so you could look at aerial images from different years, such as 2007 and 2000 ( I don't know which years were actually offered, I'm just making those up :P )

The site should re-open at 9 am today (4 mins to go!)

It's live now!

You have to select Ortho 2005 from the side to see satellite imagery!

Definitely worth saving to favourites/bookmarks!

Edit: Actually it seems the updated imagery on Google Maps/Earth is better (at least in my area) than the OSI link - but the OSI link is still good for most of the republic, and might solve the cloud problem!

• Advertisement

OSI link is good alright, but I still think Earth is better. If the OSI could capture images free of clouds then why couldn't Google? I used to be able to see the washing hanging on the clothes line at the back of my house until the clouds came.
    Better bring the washing in so.......

Oddly, it seems that the 1835 (I think) overlay on the OSI maps is no longer available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

slowburner wrote: »
    Bleeping annoying. Last time I looked there were no clouds at all but now there's a bank of cloud obscuring about 4 square kilometers directly over where I live (at least I think that's where I live!).
    Did Google update the images recently or something? Seems a bit daft to update with poorer images.

If the latest imagery is worse for your area you can get GE to display previous imagery for that location.

see
    http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2009/02/google_earth_5_historical_imagery.html

The clouds have moved on. Throw those curtains wide!
    Fantastic quality image now. When I close the historical imagery window the clouds come back - it's very odd, because the "historical" image is newer than the landing page (if that's the right term).

For the past two days a plane has been criss-cossing the skies above my area at 3,000 feet - something like that. I wonder if its a Google plane?

IrlJidel wrote: »
    If the latest imagery is worse for your area you can get GE to display previous imagery for that location.

see
    http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2009/02/google_earth_5_historical_imagery.html

Cracking tip, that. I moved the time slider forward and the clouds moved on. Joy.

Advertisement