Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about moving to oz

Options
  • 05-04-2011 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

im thinking of going to oz for work im a plumber and am wondering what sort of visa i can apply for if i want to move over to stay and live there for good also i hear you have to do a course and get a cert when you get there if you want to work at plumbing does anyone know is there much to that course and how much would a visa cost and the plumbing course. where would be the best place to go to get work in oz ? what would be the going rate for a plumber over there be ? help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

go to immi.gov.au or look for an immigration agent. Most immigration agents will tell you exactly what your chances are and what to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

There is a FAQ on the main page that covers most of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nicmarie

you just need to get a basic year holiday visa which ya get online! plumber is a great trade to have here. Im in melbourne my friends earns about 1800 a week as a plumber after tax! hes on a holiday vida but his company are going to sponsor him to stay on. Im so jelous :(

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bob5666

hi nicmarie
    would your friend be domestic plumber or industrial just wondering from a domestic backround myself , how many hours a week would that be for , whats in like to get sponsored over there and what happens after you get sponsored?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

nicmarie wrote: »
    you just need to get a basic year holiday visa

Correction.

You cant work on a basic year holiday visa, obviously you mean a 1 year Working holiday visa.

bob5666 wrote: »
    hi nicmarie
    would your friend be domestic plumber or industrial just wondering from a domestic backround myself , how many hours a week would that be for , whats in like to get sponsored over there and what happens after you get sponsored?

To get 457 sponsored an employer has to offer you a job that they have proven cannot be filled by a local person, the employer makes a nomination to the Dept. of Immigration and you apply for a visa that is valid up to 4 years.

You may or may not have to do a skills assessment.

You can live and work legally for 4 years as a temporary resident, if then you want to remain in Australia permanently you have to make a separate application for Permanent Residence

The trick with the old sponsorship is its actually easier to get sponsored while working for the employer legally. ie in Australia on a Working Holiday Visa (WHV) and that then the employer cannot find a local person to fill the postion.

Bob do you qualify for a WHV?

For more detailed info read the FAQ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

$1800 after tax sounds like a lot of money to me. He must be working a lot of hours for that. That could be close to $140k before tax per year. I don't think most plumbers are making that much over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

I was earning nearly that or more some weeks labourin($30/hr)! I did work a lot of hours tho some weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

My husband works a lot of hours for the money he makes too. I just wouldn't want anyone reading it to think that this is a normal wage. Plenty of tradies still making less than $100k over here, some much less than that.

Advertisement