Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General BBQ Tips?

Options
  • 05-04-2011 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Ok, I'm having a BBQ in a few weeks with about 15 friends, I'm hosting and cooking. I have a fair bit of experience BBQing, but I'm looking for a few tips on some specific things.

What Salads go down well? Hopefully something that suits a stand-alone dish, and a topping.

Potato Wedges - Tips on flavoring/cooking?

Where to get a burger that won't shrivel and die to 1/4 it's size when exposed to any kind of heat?

Ribs - Sauces and cooking techniques?

Chicken - What kinds would be best? Breasts, legs, wings, fillets? I don't think I've ever actually done chicken before, other than a few chicken wings a friend brought along which didn't turn out very well.

And don't worry folks, I'm no abomination, I will be doing steaks ;)

Any help is very much appreciated, thank you! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭atilladehun

A burger with loads of fat is best in my opinion.

Sausages, good tasty ones are a good filler. Easy to cook and fill up.
    You can try out something here and give everyone a small taste like South African sausage or something from an assado.

Never pierce the meat, keep the juices inside.

Beer can chicken, or butterfly chicken tastes great.

Baby potatoes in tinfoil pouch with butter, oil and salt.

Once you have the meat sorted it's all about the sauces.

I do like salad but I'm only thinking about the meat at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Akiviri

That's all very helpful, the kind of things I usually forget about :rolleyes:

I think I'm going with a mix of store-bought and home made sauces, to give myself the ease of choice on the day :P I'll probably try a few different ones throughout the day

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'd avoid any hot sides, unless you're doing them on the BBQ.

Corn on the cob - cook in microwave/pot first, then finish on BBQ.
    Potato salad/pasta salads/broccoli & feta salad/cous cous.
    I sometimes do a plain burger, then have a range of toppings like red onion marmalade, guacamole, tzaziki, garlic mayo, relishes, different cheeses etc.
    Chicken burgers too - plain & harissa.

I AVOID 'bundys' like the plague, I cannot stand them. Rolls really make the burger - I go for a mix of soft & crusty.

If you're doing steaks, I'd make them into steak sandwiches. So ensure they're trimmed and tender, people don't always have space to sit and eat a meal with a knife & fork. So popping them in a roll to eat with your hands is handy. Great with goats cheese & german mustard!

All that and a few buckets of ice and you're laughin : )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Pour boiling water over your sausages and let them sit in it for a few minutes before barbecuing them and they won't shrivel up.

Boil your ribs for 15 minutes before cooking them (you can turn the heat off and leave them sitting in the water until you need them). They'll be much more moist and tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Boil your ribs for 15 minutes before cooking them (you can turn the heat off and leave them sitting in the water until you need them). They'll be much more moist and tender.

Swapping the water above for beer is good too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

chicken and pineapple skewers always go down well when i bbq. Make the chicken pieces not too big so you dont have to worry about under cooked chicken. just served in a wrap with salad and sauce of choice

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It may be worth reading through this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Why does BBQ have to entail chicken, ribs, sausages, burgers, steaks, BBQ sauce etc. etc. ???

I much prefer to decide on a meal that can be cooked on a BBQ and stick to that with sides to suit (doesn't have to be 10 of them).

For example, maybe do a butterfly leg of lamb with a cos cos salad and a BBQ veg ratatouille.
    Or steak with potatoes and salad.
    Or sides of Sea Trout with some nice salad.

I'm so tired of the typical BBQ fare:mad:
    Keep it simple and good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Akiviri

A BBQ Has to entail all those things because they are godly <3

Thanks, Hill Billy, there's a lot on that to help

Does the Sausage trick to stop them shrivelling work with burgers, at all?

Mmm, Irish Eddie, you gave me a great idea for some customized skewers!

Olaola, I'm going with all different kinds of sides, so that everyone can be happy with the variety!

Thanks everyone! I have a lot of good ideas about what I'll do now, thank you!

Advertisement