Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridging Visa's for Australia

Options
  • 05-04-2011 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi there,

This is my first post on boards.ie, so I hope I do it right!!

My bf is heading to Australia in May on a Working Holiday Visa, and is hoping to get offered sponsorship. Through this he'll put me down defacto and all going well I'll join him a number of months later.

My query is if everything goes to plan, and he gets offered sponsorship with me defacto, would I be able to enter Australia on a bridging visa while the application is being processed?

We have been researching all types of visa's for a few months now - I have previously used my WHV so I'm not eligible for another one, and I work in Science, so it's not exactly an 'in demand' occupation - so this way seems to be our best option.
    I don't know if we're just looking in the wrong place, or that we've gone square-eyed researching, but I can't seem to find an answer to our query.

Any information would be gratefully accepted :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Sorry you can't enter Australia on a bridging visa, a bridging visa just bridges the gap from one onshore visa to another onshore visa ...., hence the name 'bridging visa'

Also tourist visa's usually come with 8503 condition which means 'No further stay' and you won't get a bridging visa unless that is waived.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Sponsorship isnt what you think it is either.
    You dont just get offered it, your OH needs to be filling a position that they have not been able to find an Australian for. It needs to be proved that they have tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭CatMc48

Hey Mandrake04/Jumpy,

Thanks for the info. Yeah I know it's not just going to be as simple as I'd set out in my first post - it was more a hypothetically speaking, if all is going to plan, could I enter Australia on a bridging visa.

I wasn't aware you had to be onshore to get a bridging visa, so thanks guys, my query has been answered.

I know you probably spend your time giving very similar answers to visa questions, but you have helped a lot. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭CatMc48

Anyone know how I can close this thread?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement