Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

herd number

• 05-04-2011 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

is it hard to get a new herd number these days,just back in the country after 14 years and having being raised on a farm and i was thinkin of buying a few {8/10} sucklers to pass the time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

You will need facilities for testing such as a crush. Dept of Ag will call to inspect the set up. Have you land, you may have a suspended herd number that you might be able to resurrect.

Your holding (farm) must be well fenced as well to prevent both your animals straying out and others straying in.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mickeypat

dont have my own land yet i was thinkin of renting a few acres for a year or two first,as for crush etc the father in law has a good setup would that be good enough,so what your sayin is get the land first and then who do i call teagasc?or the dept or who?also how many acres would a man need for 8-10 cows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

mickeypat wrote: »
    dont have my own land yet i was thinkin of renting a few acres for a year or two first,as for crush etc the father in law has a good setup would that be good enough,so what your sayin is get the land first and then who do i call teagasc?or the dept or who?also how many acres would a man need for 8-10 cows?

You should be sorting out getting the land and the herd number at the same time. AFAIK your crush needs to be on your own land in order for you to be able to get the herd number. You need to go to your local Dep of AG office rather than Teagasc.

We keep between 8 and 10 cows with calves at foot on a 25 acre outfarm. It feeds them well, but would only provide about 50% of the winter silage that we need for them so we have to supplement it from the rest of the farm. The land isn't great quality so 25 acres in another part of the country might feed more.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 33 cowmilk

My father is currently farming and I want to purchase some dry stock myself under my own herd number. How do I get a herd number? What are the requirements? Do I need to have completed the Green cert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭niallf

cowmilk wrote: »
    My father is currently farming and I want to purchase some dry stock myself under my own herd number. How do I get a herd number? What are the requirements? Do I need to have completed the Green cert?

All you need to do is contact your local DVO and fill in a form ER1. You dont need any qualification, but do you need some basic facilities such as a crush.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

And be on a seperate farm from your dad

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 33 cowmilk

Tipp Man wrote: »
    And be on a seperate farm from your dad

My plan was to ease my way into it buy just keeping my cattle with his. Are you sure about the requirement for another farm? This poses a problem. What is classed as a different farm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

My plan was to ease my way into it buy just keeping my cattle with his. Are you sure about the requirement for another farm? This poses a problem. What is classed as a different farm?

Not sure on the details but mixing cattle from different herd numbers goes against the idea of having different herd numbers. Also you won't be able to get a herd number on land which your dad already has a herd number for

Somebody else might have more info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Sorry to butt in,we had a herd number until about 10 years ago,then got rid of the cattle and rented out the land for tillage,would the herd number be still there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭joto

I have recently just transferred my father's herd number to myself.
    is it hard to get a new herd number these days,just back in the country after 14 years and having being raised on a farm and i was thinkin of buying a few {8/10} sucklers to pass the time

You need land with a crush first, then get on to local DVO to fill out form ER1 with maps/land Folio/your pps number.

Sorry to butt in,we had a herd number until about 10 years ago,then got rid of the cattle and rented out the land for tillage,would the herd number be still there?

Herd number will still be there but dormant. You need to contact local DVO and fill out form ER1

DVO list:

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/animalhealthwelfare/diseasecontrols/tuberculosistbandbrucellosis/diseaseeradicationpolicy/DistrictVeterinaryOfficesNov2011.doc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

Im in the same predicament, the father wants ti transfer the herdnumber into my name, I have the form ye are talkin about and all to do it,
    If it transfers into my name i'll hardly need to have seperate crush and all will i?
    Will I need to get the land into my name or lease it off him and will he need a herdnumber to be able to lease the land to me?
    I might just ring the DVO and ask them these 20 questions! :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

ya you need another farm alright. Im in the middle off getting mine at the moment. Land has too be seperate from my fathers, have suitable testing facilaties ie crush and i need legal doc. saying iv it leased

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Thanks very much for your help joto ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

lads, has anyone simply put there name on their fathers herd number? With no land or entitlements transfer. IE joint names on the herdnumber?
    Is this straightforward?

Tks a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,628 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

eamon11 wrote: »
    lads, has anyone simply put there name on their fathers herd number? With no land or entitlements transfer. IE joint names on the herdnumber?
    Is this straightforward?

Tks a lot

No i havent, but it should be simple enough . you have to be over 18 , fill in form ER1.1 , prob need signing to be witnessed . tegasc could tell you more but if you have crush etc already i dont see any problems

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

the prob i have is I filled in form er1.1, sent it off an they got back to saying in order to put me name on as joint herd owner I needed to have the land in my name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

This thread is a bit more current.

Trying to work out the exact requirements for a Herd number.
    Never had one before,

So far it seems:
    - to have move than 15 acres in your own name
    - land to have its own cattle crush
    - land to be inspected by
    - fill in and submit form ER1.1 (March 12)
    - ??

Where would I find more info?

thanks.

Advertisement