Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ecco il modo di dire !!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jumpjack

It's used just in Naples and surroundings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Here's one that I was reminded of recently:

"Un colpo d'aria" ("a hit/blast of air")

It denotes a draft or blast of air that if exposed to will likely result in illness, aches and other maladies. It's a particularly Italian expression which is central to the hypochondria that Italians suffer from, but does exist in other languages/cultures to a lesser extent.

As such you'll hear it used as a warning, in particular by Italian mothers/grandmothers to children, as they wrap them up in the equivalent of Siberian survival gear, and from people already with aches, colds or temperatures as an explanation as to how they got them - "Avrò preso un colpo d'aria".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Here's one that I was reminded of recently:

"Un colpo d'aria" ("a hit/blast of air")

It denotes a draft or blast of air that if exposed to will likely result in illness, aches and other maladies. It's a particularly Italian expression which is central to the hypochondria that Italians suffer from, but does exist in other languages/cultures to a lesser extent.

As such you'll hear it used as a warning, in particular by Italian mothers/grandmothers to children, as they wrap them up in the equivalent of Siberian survival gear, and from people already with aches, colds or temperatures as an explanation as to how they got them - "Avrò preso un colpo d'aria".

They say 'un colpo di freddo' down here. Such a strange thing. Between that and 'soffro il cervicale':D All manner of ailments I never knew were possible before!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 EmmaAstra

un colpo di strega

Let's continue the un colpo di... theme!

Literally, a hit/blow/strike of a witch, it describes a sudden and intense back pain.

It's a great image, don't you think?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 flo_indublin

EmmaAstra wrote: »
    un colpo di strega

Let's continue the un colpo di... theme!

Literally, a hit/blow/strike of a witch, it describes a sudden and intense back pain.

It's a great image, don't you think?

:D

it's il colpo della strega

It is indeed a funny image, you can almost imagine a witch hitting you on the back with her broom..:-)

Another one is, un colpo di fortuna, a stroke of luck? You can say that in English too I think..."Un colpo di fortuna" in any case is the elegant version of this expression :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

population wrote: »
    Is 'Quando Mai' used outside of the South? I was in Milan recently and said it in a conversation with a barman and he didn't seem to get it? Maybe I got the context wrong or something?

I'm Italian, born in Italy and living in Italy.
    "Quando mai" is used everywhere. If the barman didn't get it he was not Italian.

"Tutte belle cose"
    A pretty common expression used, typically as part of a good bye, wishing the other party "all good things [to come to you]".

Allow me to amend this sentence, it's "Tante belle cose", meaning [I wish] "many good things" [to come to you]

Allow me to amend this sentence, it's "Tante belle cose", meaning [I wish] "many good things" [to come to you]
    Depends where you're from - tutte rather than tante, I've heard used in Rome, for example.

Depends where you're from - tutte rather than tante, I've heard used in Rome, for example.

This way of saying is mostly used in southern Italy, from Rome and further south. If you hear it in northern Italy is because it's been spoken out by a southern man livining in the north. As far as I know "tutte" isn't used at all. I'm Italian, I've never heard it, and if I may say my opinion, it could be hardly understood.

This way of saying is mostly used in southern Italy, from Rome and further south. If you hear it in northern Italy is because it's been spoken out by a southern man livining in the north. As far as I know "tutte" isn't used at all. I'm Italian, I've never heard it, and if I may say my opinion, it could be hardly understood.
    Quite likely more southern, although I'd be surprised if it were hardly understood if heard in the north. Personally I've only heard it used in Rome, and only from older people, as far as I remember.

My own family, who would be predominantly northern, I've never heard using the expression at all, TBH.

• Advertisement
Advertisement